SHAKEOLOGY - Day 1 from a Skeptic

Options
I finally decided to give Shakeology a try. But I am going to start to what led up to this because I am a believer in NOT replacing meals with shakes....the changes we decide to make in life must be something we can make for a lifetime or they won't stick.

Let me just say that I love breakfast!!! I was raised in the country where FRIED meant LOVE! My mom always made fried foods. I love a big ole country breakfast which usually includes: Fried Eggs, Fried Potatoes, Fried Bacon and many other such unhealthy things!!!!! :)

Before I started watching what I ate I would go get 2 Breakfast Jacks and a Large Fry for Breakfast from Jack in the Box. UGH!!!!!!!! That is disqusting now. Haha. Can't believe I would eat that bad.

I still have my fried foods for breakfast...usually a Potato, Egg and Cheese Taco with Jalapenos and Salsa. Only runs me about 300 calories but the sodium and cholesterol are terrible. I don't think there are any good nutrients in this. Plus I was/am spending up to $5 a day on Breakfast...just on the weekdays....on the weekends more.

I have really tried to change my breakfast habits....because I want to like healthier things for breakfast....I went through a lot of egg whites, english muffins, etc. I still fall back into my cravings. And I never get enough nutrients.

So....this is what made me think Shakeology would be good for me. Not because I want to be thin. Not because I want a quick fix....but because I want what I start my day with to be packed full of nutrients to provide energy and good choices for my body throughout the whole day. :) My main concerns were/are:

Am I going to be hungry still?
Is it going to taste good?
Is the cost worth it?

So....

THE COST:

Shakeology is $119.00 a month. WOW! But when you break this down and realize how much you are already spending a month on breakfast....it evens out.
I was spending $5/day on weekdays and let's say $7/per day on weekends.
20 weekdays a month x $5 a day = $100.00
8 weekend days a month x $7 a day = $56
That's $156.00 a month!!!! Uh...what?!?!?!

Definitely worth the price. CHECK!

THE HUNGER:

So....I made my Shakeology at 7:30 am. Started drinking it as I walked out the door and didn't finish it until 10 am!!!!!! It took me so long to finish because I was feeling FULL!!!! And here it is 11:57 am and I am still FULL! I am usually clawing at my face ready for lunch by now.

I made my Shakeology as below:

1 Scoop of Chocolate Shakeology
8 oz Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
4 Ice Cubes
Blend in blender!

Curbs the hunger!!!!! CHECK!

THE TASTE:

So....I was warned by my beachbody coach that Shakeology does have a chalky taste...And this is true. It's not terrible. But it's not the best I have ever had. What would you expect though with so many good ingredients jam packed into one shake. And there are several recipes to pruce this shake up. I just had mine plain jane. The flavor was not bad...little chalky but I could definitely drink this everyday. It tastes better knowing that what I am putting in my body is good for me. :)

Tastes decent but not amazing! Check!!

Overall, I am very satified with my purchase so far. I feel great. And the best part is...I haven't had nor have I craved a Diet Dr Pepper today. I am so addicted to those. This is going to help me in so many ways. :) Just thought I would include some information on Chocoloate Shakeology below for those interested.

NUTRIENT GROUP INGREDIENTS BENEFITS*
Proteins and Amino Acids
Vitamins and Minerals
Antioxidants
Phytonutrients
Adaptogen Herbs
Prebiotics
Probiotics
Digestive Enzymes
Whey protein, brown rice protein, pea protein, sacha inchi, quinoa, chia, flax, amaranth
Vitamins
Vitamins A, C, D, E, and K, vitamins B1, 2, 3, 6, and 12, biotin, pantothenic acid, folic acid
Minerals
Calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum,
phosphorous, zinc
Açai berries, acerola cherry, bilberry, blueberries, camu-camu, goji berries, pomegranate, rose hips, luo han guo, grape seed, green tea
Moringa, chlorella, spirulina, spinach, barley grass, kamut grass, oat grass, wheatgrass
Astragalus, ashwagandha, cordyceps, gingko leaf, tulsi (holy basil leaf), maca root, maitake mushroom, reishi mushroom, schisandra
Yacon root
Bacillus coagulans
(Lactobacillus sporogenes)
Amylase, bromelain, cellulase, lactase, lipase, papain, protease
• Help build and repair muscles
• Reduce hunger and food cravings
• Help keep blood sugar steady
• Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails
• Support brain function to help promote alert thinking and well-being
• Support your immune system to help you stay healthy and strong
• There are 13 vitamins that are considered essential for proper body function. Shakeology has all of them.
• There are a total of 23 vitamins and minerals in Shakeology.
• These vitamins and minerals are important micronutrients your body needs to carry out every chemical process needed for life.
• Help your cells make energy
• Build and repair muscles and strengthen bones
• Support energy production
• Protect the body from free radicals
• Prevent cellular damage
• Promote cardiovascular health
• Support strong immune function
• Promote healthy aging
• Help detoxify the body
• Promote an ideal alkaline state
• Help promote strong immune system function
• Help the body cope with environmental stress
• Naturally help increases energy
• Help promote ideal cognitive function
• Promote calmness
• Probiotics need special nutrients—prebiotics—to grow and thrive
• Yacon root has the highest concentration of prebiotics of any plant in the world
• Helps strengthen the immune system
• These are the good, healthy bacteria that live in your intestines
• Promote healthy digestion and normal colon function
• Help you break down food so you can assimilate nutrients better

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love my shakeology. I don't really notice a chalky taste personally. It really tastes a lot like a milk shake (I'll try with vanilla almond milk next, just using regular right now).

And yes it takes me a good 1 hour to drink it LOL. Which is awesome because while I do I'm not craving anything else. And then I'm full for another 2 hours or so (sometimes less but I usually work out beforehand and that makes me hungry).

It was money really well spent for me. I'm looking forward to trying the tropical next month.

(I'm not working for beachbody and I'm not a coach!)
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I love my shakeology. I don't really notice a chalky taste personally. It really tastes a lot like a milk shake (I'll try with vanilla almond milk next, just using regular right now).

And yes it takes me a good 1 hour to drink it LOL. Which is awesome because while I do I'm not craving anything else. And then I'm full for another 2 hours or so (sometimes less but I usually work out beforehand and that makes me hungry).

It was money really well spent for me. I'm looking forward to trying the tropical next month.

(I'm not working for beachbody and I'm not a coach!)

Great! :) Thanks for sharing your experiences. Currently I work out in the evening before I eat dinner. I just don't have the strength to get up earlier in the mornings. I have two boys! :)

I would love to know how another flavor tastes....I have only ever tried the Chocolate. Also, have you ever tried any of the Shakeology recipes? :)

I also am not a beachbody coach or working for beachbody. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    So you now have time to prepare a shake at home but you had to buy a greasy fast food breakfast before? I prepare crustless quiches on the weekend, package them for grab and go during the week combined with a yogurt and an apple. Way less cost, provides lots of nutrition and teaches me to eat sensibly.
  • GlorianEversea
    Options
    I think it's so strange that shakeology gets such a bad rap around here.....as though its some sort of scam. Unless the label is a lie they obviously went out of heir way to pack it with a hell of a lot of nutrition - including leafy greens.

I agree that you, at some point, must go back to normal food. but, as someone who alternates days between shakes and regular food, shakes helped me get a handle on my right and jump started my diet plans.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm a believer too. I found the strawberry tasted a bit chalky, but I'm in love with the chocolate. I have it for breakfast every morning too.
    Thanks for posting this. Most people come on just to dump on people that like or sell Shakeology. Mostly because of what they call "pushy salesmen".
    One of my friends who has MS sent me a message one day, thanking me for posting info on it on Facebook. When she saw the ingredients, she realized that most of the vitamins she was told to take were already in Shakeology. She now uses two bags a month, feels better and is spending less than she did on the vitamins.
    Some think that Shakeology is just a way for people to make money. Nothing could be further from the truth for most of us. The message my friend sent me made me feel so good, because I helped her. And for me, that is the WHOLE point!

Thanks again!
    Joe
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So you now have time to prepare a shake at home but you had to buy a greasy fast food breakfast before? I prepare crustless quiches on the weekend, package them for grab and go during the week combined with a yogurt and an apple. Way less cost, provides lots of nutrition and teaches me to eat sensibly.

Do you have a recipe you follow? I make my own breakfast burritos (make a large batch and freeze) and I'm almost out of them....looking for the next thing to replace them.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer too. I found the strawberry tasted a bit chalky, but I'm in love with the chocolate. I have it for breakfast every morning too.
    Thanks for posting this. Most people come on just to dump on people that like or sell Shakeology. Mostly because of what they call "pushy salesmen".
    One of my friends who has MS sent me a message one day, thanking me for posting info on it on Facebook. When she saw the ingredients, she realized that most of the vitamins she was told to take were already in Shakeology. She now uses two bags a month, feels better and is spending less than she did on the vitamins.
    Some think that Shakeology is just a way for people to make money. Nothing could be further from the truth for most of us. The message my friend sent me made me feel so good, because I helped her. And for me, that is the WHOLE point!

Thanks again!
    Joe

Interested in the benefits for MS?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Thanks again!
    Joe

this exactly. on every level. :)
  • k8ermarie
    Options

It wasn't really about time. It was about knowing myself....and I always crave and cave for the bad stuff. This is just the best choice for myself. I am most certain it is not for everyone. But thank you for your input. :)
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    I think it's so strange that shakeology gets such a bad rap around here.....as though its some sort of scam. Unless the label is a lie they obviously went out of heir way to pack it with a hell of a lot of nutrition - including leafy greens.

I agree that you, at some point, must go back to normal food. but, as someone who alternates days between shakes and regular food, shakes helped me get a handle on my right and jump started my diet plans.

I definitely don't plan on drinking Shakeology forever. I am merely helping myself get used to a different craving in the mornings. And get those added nutrients along the way. :)

Thanks for your comments.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    NUTRIENT GROUP INGREDIENTS BENEFITS*
    Proteins and Amino Acids
    Vitamins and Minerals
    Antioxidants
    Phytonutrients
    Adaptogen Herbs
    Prebiotics
    Probiotics
    Digestive Enzymes
    Whey protein, brown rice protein, pea protein, sacha inchi, quinoa, chia, flax, amaranth
    Vitamins
    Vitamins A, C, D, E, and K, vitamins B1, 2, 3, 6, and 12, biotin, pantothenic acid, folic acid
    Minerals
    Calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum,
    phosphorous, zinc
    Açai berries, acerola cherry, bilberry, blueberries, camu-camu, goji berries, pomegranate, rose hips, luo han guo, grape seed, green tea
    Moringa, chlorella, spirulina, spinach, barley grass, kamut grass, oat grass, wheatgrass
    Astragalus, ashwagandha, cordyceps, gingko leaf, tulsi (holy basil leaf), maca root, maitake mushroom, reishi mushroom, schisandra
    Yacon root
    Bacillus coagulans
    (Lactobacillus sporogenes)
    Amylase, bromelain, cellulase, lactase, lipase, papain, protease
    • Help build and repair muscles
    • Reduce hunger and food cravings
    • Help keep blood sugar steady
    • Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails
    • Support brain function to help promote alert thinking and well-being
    • Support your immune system to help you stay healthy and strong
    • There are 13 vitamins that are considered essential for proper body function. Shakeology has all of them.
    • There are a total of 23 vitamins and minerals in Shakeology.
    • These vitamins and minerals are important micronutrients your body needs to carry out every chemical process needed for life.
    • Help your cells make energy
    • Build and repair muscles and strengthen bones
    • Support energy production
    • Protect the body from free radicals
    • Prevent cellular damage
    • Promote cardiovascular health
    • Support strong immune function
    • Promote healthy aging
    • Help detoxify the body
    • Promote an ideal alkaline state
    • Help promote strong immune system function
    • Help the body cope with environmental stress
    • Naturally help increases energy
    • Help promote ideal cognitive function
    • Promote calmness
    • Probiotics need special nutrients—prebiotics—to grow and thrive
    • Yacon root has the highest concentration of prebiotics of any plant in the world
    • Helps strengthen the immune system
    • These are the good, healthy bacteria that live in your intestines
    • Promote healthy digestion and normal colon function
    • Help you break down food so you can assimilate nutrients better

How many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits?
  • k8ermarie
    Options

Thanks again!
    Joe

Absolutely. I am definitely not trying to sell anyone on Shakeology. I believe that if you're real with your experiences, you may help someone along the way. I hope that my honesty will help someone. I am glad to hear that you were able to help your friend. It does make you feel good to help others.

Thanks for the positive feedback and your share! :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

Eggs and bacon with toast almost every day and still lost 65 pounds? Priceless.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    tl:dr \m/
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.

I agree that there are definitely cheaper ways to have a healthy breakfast. I was merely stating that FOR ME, it even out and I would actually save a little. I will not drink this forever, but it's nice to know AT THE MOMENT that this is worth it FOR ME!

THANKS! :D
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

I am not just trying to just lose POUNDS!!! I am trying to re-train my cravings and get nutrients. I need these nutrients as I am about to start my 3rd Round of Insanity. Congratulations on your loss.

Thanks! :D
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options

Thanks again!
    Joe

Interested in the benefits for MS?

I will contact her and see if I can get the info.
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am a defender of real food. Eggs and smoked salmon or ham for breakfast are my favorites. I totally acknowledge the nutrients in these shakes but I can't stand sweet milk shakes for breakfast or as a substitute of any other meal. Also I think I need to chew something during my meals. That brings satisfaction.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

I am not just trying to just lose POUNDS!!! I am trying to re-train my cravings and get nutrients. I need these nutrients as I am about to start my 3rd Round of Insanity. Congratulations on your loss.

Thanks! :D

Eggs have lots of good nutrients, keep me full and gives me energy. I, personally, wouldn't spend the money on shakeology when for about similar calories I can have eggs and bacon.

If you are okay with spending the money and are satisfied with the shakes, great. I wish you well on your plan. :flowerforyou: