Hardboiled EGG..............

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Fresh eggs are easy to peel. Old eggs not so much.

Actually this is the absolute opposite. Fresh eggs are HARDER to peel than eggs that are a few days old.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member

Yeah, you got that backwards. If you want boiled eggs that are easy to peel *never* boil just purchased eggs. Buy them about a week before you want to boil them and most of these other "tricks" will be completely unnecessary.
  • I boil my eggs, and as soon as the water stops boiling I put the pan under the faucet and run cold water over them. As soon as they are coolish to the touch I peel them. I set them on the counter and run them under my palm with light pressure. The peel comes off easily and your egg doesn't get mushed.
  • I read on Pinterest to add baking soda while boiling them.
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    My husband says to crack the shell after they're boiled and then put them in the freezer until just before they freeze and the shells will come right off.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    I put a little baking soda in my boiling water. Its a miracle worker. Try it.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Haven't tried this but read that you can crack the ones you are planning to eat and then allow them to soak in water for a few minutes before peeling. I am usually to impatient to wait:)
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Actually, fresh eggs are harder to peel. If you have very fresh eggs (I do because I have my own hens) you need to wait a week at least before you hard boil them. Most supermarket eggs are older than this already. Also, overcooking hard boiled eggs gives you a rubbery white and darkened (sometimes greenish) yolk.

Easy to peel hard boiled eggs as follows: Put a single layer of eggs in a pot of cool water. Put in a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, and once boiling, turn off the heat. After about 12-15 minutes, put the eggs into a bowl of ice water. The idea is to chill them quickly. Voila, nicely cooked easy to peel hard boiled eggs.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    I crack my eggs in the middle, then cut in half, then use the knife to break the seal (works best with a butter knife, then you just trace along the inside of shell with the tip of the knife) and then the egg half pops out. Repeat for the other half!
  • itsgottago
    itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
    I find adding salt to the water helps. I bring to a boil cover and shut off heat. Leave for 5 mins. Run under cool water then peel as soon as you can handle it.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    This will be the LAST hardboiled egg tip you will EVER need. Ever since I was told this trick, I've NEVER had an issue with peeling the eggs!

Put baking soda into the water with the eggs.. the more eggs you are hardboiling, the more baking soda you want. When I boil just a couple of eggs, I use a couple of teaspoons.

Once the water starts to boil, cook for 10mins.

Once the 10mins are up, dump the hot water and run cold water in the pan with the eggs for a couple minutes. When the eggs are cool enough to touch without burning your fingers, take them and whack the pointy end of the egg on your sink or counter, then whack the other end and place back into the water to let cool a little longer. When you're ready to complete peel the egg, whack the rest of the eggs along the middle (to crack around the entire egg). Then pick an end and peel back, making sure you get the membrane up with the peel.

Perfectly hardboiled eggs. every. time.

Im going to try this!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    Backwards.:smile:
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Actually, fresh eggs are harder to peel. If you have very fresh eggs (I do because I have my own hens) you need to wait a week at least before you hard boil them. Most supermarket eggs are older than this already. Also, overcooking hard boiled eggs gives you a rubbery white and darkened (sometimes greenish) yolk.

Easy to peel hard boiled eggs as follows: Put a single layer of eggs in a pot of cool water. Put in a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, and once boiling, turn off the heat. After about 12-15 minutes, put the eggs into a bowl of ice water. The idea is to chill them quickly. Voila, nicely cooked easy to peel hard boiled eggs.

This. Happy peeling.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

Other way around. I had this backward for the longest time and would run to the store to get the freshest ones, only to be just as frustrated as ever.

It also helps if you let the eggs come to room temp before boiling them.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member

wrong. it is the other way. Shock the eggs with cold water. It helps them pull away from the shell. Or just buy the pre boiled ones in the deli section.

This! I have raised chickens and know for a fact fresh eggs are harder to peel. We buy store bought whenever we boil for that reason. I boil for 15 minutes dump the boiling water and fill the pan with cold water. I not only crack the shell but roll it on the edge of the sink til it is finely broken up. Peel under cool running water.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 130 Member
    Crack the egg and then blow into the crack. It seperates the egg from the shell.
  • nineteenstars
    nineteenstars Posts: 24 Member
    Add baking soda to the water.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Didn't see anyone else say it, but I just recently baked them in the oven and I had no issue peeling them. Much easier that way!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I boil mine in a kettle, lol. Got the idea from boyfriend. I boil the kettle with the eggs in, then leave them in there for about 3-4 minutes. I then reboil the kettle and leave them another 10 minutes. I then empty out the hot water and fill with cold, leave them to cool down then put them straight in the fridge.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Holy Cow, who would have thought there'd be so much discussion about eggs?

I do have a little steamer for my eggs...a gadget, but, it cooks them perfectly every time. It's a Cuisinart, cost me $20 from Bed Bath & Beyond, and works like a charm. My cousin turned me on to it, and it does work perfectly, every time.

I steam them, let them cool in the fridge overnight, and they peel easily the next day. They peel easily right after, too, if you take them from hot, and get them cold quick (like rinsing them with cold water, like some here said.

The egg shrinks, pulls it away from the shell, makes it easier to peel. If you peel them while they still cooling (right then.)

-BootJockey