Hardboiled EGG..............

Options

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'll make it easier for you. If you look online you'll find a handy device for boiling hard boiled eggs. It's a hard boiled egg maker. It has a little cup thing with a needle and you poke a hole in the egg and place them in the tray and hit the power button. Done. The beeper goes off and you can put them in the fridge and not worry about whether or not you over did them. We have one at our house and it makes it so much easier. They even allow you to cook them to varying degrees (the better ones) or just completely hard boiled. Yes, pots are easy to boil but it's a pain in the butt to remember how long to boil them. Besides, I figure guys and gals both love kitchen appliances.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Didn't see anyone else say it, but I just recently baked them in the oven and I had no issue peeling them. Much easier that way!

I've heard of this before....what temp do you bake them at, how long?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Didn't see anyone else say it, but I just recently baked them in the oven and I had no issue peeling them. Much easier that way!

I've heard of this before....what temp do you bake them at, how long?

I did mine at 325 for 30 mins. Perfectly done. Plus they taste and smell better for some reason! They'll look odd bc they'll come out spotted but its no concern.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I put a little baking soda in my boiling water. Its a miracle worker. Try it.

I do this also and works every time;)
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat 10 egg whites a day so I go through so many cartons you would be amazed! I've sorta become an expert, but anyways... I have had the best experience with eggs that a little older not super fresh. This is what I do:

-Get a deep sauce pan and fill it with cool water.
    -Place the eggs in the pan and turn the burner on high.
    -Since the water is cool it will take a while for it to boil.
    -Once boiling let them continue to boil for 5 minutes.
    -Turn off the burner and move the pan to somewhere that isn't hot.
    -Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid.
    -Let the eggs sit in the covered for 15 minutes.
    -Once the 15 minutes is up put the pan with the eggs in the sink and run cold water over them.
    -Let them sit under the cold running water for 5 minutes.
    -When comes time to eat them, slightly roll the egg on the counter top applying a little bit of pressure.
    -Once the shell is cracked and split all over hold the egg under cold water and peel the egg under the running faucet.
    -Voila a perfect hard boiled egg! :P YUM
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cool in ice water then peel. Toss the yolk and consume whites

What a waste of the best bit!!

And agree with those who say fresh eggs are much harder to peel.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    As soon as finished cooking, crack a bit of the shell. When it's cool easy peasy to peel.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I peel when they are still hot, but under cold water. Super easy.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Don't toss the yolk--that's where all the nutrition is!

Anyway, I crack them all the way around, and peel. It usually comes off fine. Only occasionally do I have trouble getting the shell off, and I think they might be slightly undercooked when that happens.
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you guys are tripping me out. Egg is one of those words that doesn't seem like a real word once you've read it too many time in a row
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Simple solution -

Add baking soda (1 tablespoon). You can put it in either during boiling or after, when you take the hard boiled egg and put it in cold water to stop further cooking (over cooked will make the yolk green - slow boil for 12 mins. You can even turn the stove off after it starts boiling & let sit for about 15 mins.

The baking soda raises the PH and prevents the shell from adhering to the egg itself.

Problem solved!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I like to boil them for 8 minutes then they go straight into cold water - this means the yolk is cooked through but not floury and the cold water stops them cooking so you don't get that black bit around the yolk.

Also: I also have chickens and I agree that old eggs peel much more easily. I dont find it a problem with shop-bought eggs because they all seem to be fairly old anyway.

Don't throw away the yolks though - what a waste!
  • Brittany3oh3
    Options
    Roll it on the counter before you peel it.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I tap each end till it cracks the gently roll it on the counter till it crazes, it just peels off itself!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    WHY!? The yolk is the healthiest part of the egg. Egg whites are pointless to eat on their own, pretty much no nutrition..

As for boiling and peeling, use an electric kettle. Put the eggs in the kettle, turn it on, and then once it turns off, wait 15 minutes.

Use eggs that are a couple weeks old to make peeling easier.
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    i also read on pinterest that 1/2 tsp of baking soda to the boiling water will make it super easy.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat 10 egg whites a day so I go through so many cartons you would be amazed! I've sorta become an expert, but anyways... I have had the best experience with eggs that a little older not super fresh. This is what I do:

-Get a deep sauce pan and fill it with cool water.
    -Place the eggs in the pan and turn the burner on high.
    -Since the water is cool it will take a while for it to boil.
    -Once boiling let them continue to boil for 5 minutes.
    -Turn off the burner and move the pan to somewhere that isn't hot.
    -Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid.
    -Let the eggs sit in the covered for 15 minutes.
    -Once the 15 minutes is up put the pan with the eggs in the sink and run cold water over them.
    -Let them sit under the cold running water for 5 minutes.
    -When comes time to eat them, slightly roll the egg on the counter top applying a little bit of pressure.
    -Once the shell is cracked and split all over hold the egg under cold water and peel the egg under the running faucet.
    -Voila a perfect hard boiled egg! :P YUM

This is how I do it too, it works.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    WHY!? The yolk is the healthiest part of the egg. Egg whites are pointless to eat on their own, pretty much no nutrition..

As for boiling and peeling, use an electric kettle. Put the eggs in the kettle, turn it on, and then once it turns off, wait 15 minutes.

Use eggs that are a couple weeks old to make peeling easier.

Actually, all of the protein is in the whites, so if you want the protein without all the other good stuff that eggs have, then it's ok to eat the whites. Personally I eat the whole thing. Whites have no taste.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Heck no the yolks the best bit!!! :bigsmile: