Do you log weight increases too?

Options

Replies

• Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't log large gains (such as after a summer of badness or something) becuase then when I lose, it tells everyone and myself that I have lost weight, which I feel is undeserved gratification. So I don't log that. But weekly gains/losses I always log!
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log if it's over half a lb but don't bother otherwise as it tends to get rounded up / down when I enter it anywhere :smile:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I log losses and gains. Feels delusional to not keep track of both.

Yes. I've had a couple of gains and at first I decided I wasn't going to log them. But then I figured I might as well since it's all part of the process. Then I'll have a more accurate record of everything.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I fast and almost always lose after a fast day, and gain after an eating day. It was looking on my feed like I was losing tons, because it doesn't show on your feed when you gain. Now I only ever log new lows.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I only log gains if they stick for more than 2 weeks. I would have to be eating an insane amount of calories for a legitimate gain.

This is what I do. I will also glance back over my diary and memory and see if I can think of something I've done differently or failed to log. The extra weight always comes off along with a bit more. Water, constipation (common when dieting), TOM, etc will all affect the number, but if it sticks for 2 weeks or I know I've been eating too much then I would log it.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    well, apparently I'm a weirdo and doing it wrong. I weigh and measure every Sunday and only record losses. I don't feel like this is cheating as I fluctuate throughout the week. I weigh myself every day and I go up and down throughout the week.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I don't. I feel like I should, but I don't. I just hate it. I'd feel like such a failure. I mean, my ups are generally only 0.2 lbs, and it's gone in a day or two. I know if I went off my diet and ate stuff I shouldn't, then gained, I probably would log it, but as is, I haven't been able to make myself. I even tried a few times and I was too embarrased.

I feel like this sometimes, but I know that I'm not the sort of person that's motivated by negativity so I figured that even if it was a true gain, it wouldn't help me to know...if that makes any sense?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I log my Friday weight regardless. It doesn't matter though...I log my weight daily in another application to track trends and look at my nerdy graphs. I don't really care what my weight is day to day or even Friday to Friday due to I'm on a 1/2 Lb loss plan, so it's pretty hard to see much in such a short period of time.
  • FITFORT
    FITFORT Posts: 85
    Options
    I log whatever the scale says Friday morning. No cheating myself by pretending I didn't gain when I did!

Great idea....I'm gonna shoot for this!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I change my Ticker when I get weighed and measured at the Gym, Usually Once A Month. Up, Down, Good, or Bad. It ain't Fun or Easy to Log those Increases, but as Dr Phil would say "You can't change what you don't acknowledge." (at least I THINK that is his Quote!).
    And at Curves, their Phrase above the Stupid Scale is "You Can't Manage What You Don't Measure".
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    My weigh in days are on Monday's, not matter what the scale says, I log it, keeps me motivated. But that's just me.

This...except I do Wednesdays.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yep! Weight loss is not linear. It's the overall long-term trend we need to be watching!
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I only log gains if they stick for more than 2 weeks. I would have to be eating an insane amount of calories for a legitimate gain.

This is what I do. I will also glance back over my diary and memory and see if I can think of something I've done differently or failed to log. The extra weight always comes off along with a bit more. Water, constipation (common when dieting), TOM, etc will all affect the number, but if it sticks for 2 weeks or I know I've been eating too much then I would log it.

That's a good idea, although I would have to write down the weight to remember it after a fortnight...maybe in some sort of log or something. :ohwell:
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I will answer the question with a question. What do you do with the information? The data (weight, inches, calories, etc) is only of value if you do something as a result of a trend.

If you aren't going to change your training or eating, why bother? If it will cause you to 'hunker down' and work out harder/eat better, than go for it.

Good luck!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I only log loss because I know I'm not gaining. I don't log until I've recorded the same weight two days in a row.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I will answer the question with a question. What do you do with the information? The data (weight, inches, calories, etc) is only of value if you do something as a result of a trend.

If you aren't going to change your training or eating, why bother? If it will cause you to 'hunker down' and work out harder/eat better, than go for it.

Good luck!

You're right, I would probably do nothing as really I should be looking to tone up rather than slim down. Maybe I should be watching body fat % more though.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I only record loss after I've maintained it for several days. I don't record gains, because well I am not gaining any weight, and recording fluctuations seems a bit silly to me.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would normally say it is probably best to log in gains, as you want to keep yourself in check and not live in any form of denial. However, last Sat night I went overload in high sodium foods and put on an instant 5 lbs over night. I KNEW that this was instant sodium/water weight since I have been through this many times before and I can usually wipe it out of my system within two days. For that reason, I didn't bother logging my gain, knowing I'll get right back to where I was and really am. Especially since it wasn't possible for me to have gained 5 lbs in actual fat over night. It took me a few days longer to cleanse/burn the water weight this time, but I'm now back to where I was before. If this went on any longer, then sure -- I'd probably log the gain. It's up to you :o)
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I did NOT record the day after my LOW two days ago when the next day it was up .5.

I DID record this morning after seeing a 1.7lb. total gain in forty-eight hours. Something is up. What is it? I ask myself.

I look back over my behaviors and logs.

Did I eat something salty (pretzels were the culprit last week)? This week, the beef and veggies did need added salt. Could be it. Am I getting enough fiber in my diet (working on that today) by additives and fruit. Am I drinking enough? Working on that last night with water instead of coffee PM.

I like getting to know my body and try to take care of it better.

I'm not sure I drink enough as a whole without these prompts, or watch my food balance enough. It helps me.
  • harric88
    harric88 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I'm 4lb up after returning from holiday.... I weighed on Monday - not added it yet though :P - Im fully aware I've got a few weeks work to add on to end of the plan now BAH! always always add back on!