Do you log weight increases too?

Options

Replies

• lad1987
    lad1987 Posts: 1
    Options
    I log in my weight gains too. It is all a part of diet and exercise is weight gain and loss so not admitting to yourself that you do gain weight wouldn't be ideal. I know that it can fluctuate as others have said but paying attention to other details is important to not be too hard on yourself. If it says when I weigh myself that I gained weight, that is what it says. I'll look back and see if there might be a cause or think about what is going on with me. From there, I'll make adjustments if need to. Otherwise I stay the course with what works!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher, I always log my loses but don't log my gains unless it stays that way for more than a week.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of my weight gain in a pregnancy app since it hurts my feelers to see my ticker change so much when I am trying to grown another human being!!! LOL Still eating as healthy as before! (Btw, you can do the math...I am up 12.8 and almost 31 weeks pregnant!) Worked sooo hard last year! Now when I have my little guy, I will go ahead and update my weight again to have another starting point! :) When I was actively losing weight, I only logged weight loss, for me it was exciting to update my information and it kept me motivated to continue eating as good as I had been....too discouraging otherwise!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly and log losses. If I am up I don't log it because it usually "drops off" within a few days. I am fortunate to not have had any extra lbs on for too long as I have been losing so I don't know how I would have handled it otherwise.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    I agree that you have to find what works for you. I log every day because I've realized that if I don't and only log in once I week I will tend to slip up. I need to see those daily fluctuations to keep me honest lol.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Usually I do not, but I weigh a few times a week so there is some natural fluctuations. I recently was on vacation and had gained a few pounds I gave myself a week to lose "most" of it as some of it I knew was sodium/water retention from eating out. After a week I was still up about a pound and a half and I did record that gain, actually still working to get that off, but this was only since Monday, so it could still be a few days. But normal circumstances and fluctuations no, something bigger or longer term yes I would.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only log my weight on MFP on my official weigh in day, which is Friday morning. I haven't had a weigh in gain yet, but if I ever do, I will log it. Whatever the scale says is what gets logged on Friday morning.
  • Preesy
    Preesy Posts: 37
    Options
    In normal situations I do not record any gains. Women have reasons for gaining beyond simply eating too much. When I am on my game, I'm on it, and I don't eat enough extra calories in a week to gain multiple pounds. Even the weeks when I'm slacking off I do not accumulate enough calories to gain multiple pounds. The only time I record a "gain" is if I had a significant loss last week, and went back up this week. In that case it's likely a scale glitch and shouldn't have been recorded in the first place. If you've been absent from logging for a few weeks and have put on a few pounds, then yes, by all means log it. It's almost like starting over again and you need to be accountable for what happens while you take a break.

I'd say use common sense when you're weighing in. If you're doing everything right week after week you shouldn't be seeing gains significant enough to worry about recording them. If it's possible for you to check your weight on another scale (for instance at the gym or doctor's office) then do it. Consider it a second opinion.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I do when it's not just a fluctuation due to water or whatever. In other words, if it's more than a few days.

That has only happened when I changed scales.
  • kmmpink
    kmmpink Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a lot and usually don't log gains unless its there for about 2 weeks straight. It motivates me when I don't log it, to get back down to the last weight I did log!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you are comfortable doing. Personally, I weigh in once a week and I log it... up or down. Because regardless of what I weigh, I still track, exercise, and eat healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • who922
    who922 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and I log whatever it says, That is evidenced by the fact that mine used to be in 80's and now it's 53. Weigh, log it ans own it! It's my same formula for food logging. If I eat it, log it and own it!!
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i always do
    i want to log up and downs
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    LOL...no...but perhaps I need to rethink it. Normally I stay the same or lose...I gained 2 pounds when I upped my calories...but it has since gone back down. Perhaps I will pick a "log day" and log whatever the scale "says."
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday morning. I log whatever weight the scales says.

Personally, I don't see the point in only weighing when the number is lower. It gives false information. Weight loss is not linear and it's good to be able to look back and see the changes. I also like to log the gains because it helps me focus more. It also helps me see what is and isn't working.

If you want to be 110% honest with yourself while trying to become healthier, log everything... food, drinks, and any weight the scale says on your weigh in day.

^^YES^^
    Just last week I was up 1.5 pounds and as much as I hated to see my ticker go backwards I knew I had to do it!
  • womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello, I do log my increases.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i logged my weight stayingg the same. embarrassing but i did it. i would probably log gains too for several reasons. if during loss as my goal, to have a reference point in reviewing diary for slip ups. and during end game i expect to put on a few pounds when strength training is phased in to fine tune.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    not unless I ate over my TDEE...
  • beachluvr19
    Options
    Of course. It is the only way to realize when and where your issue might lay
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I log my waking weight every Sunday.

It doesn't matter if I've eaten a sodium-packed meal the night before or if I spent all day Saturday drinking tea with caffeine (diuretic). I log, once a week, every Sunday and I look for the overall trend in my weight.

Doing this keeps me from freaking out when I see an increase on the scale. And it keeps me from getting too excited (or worried about proper calorie consumption) if I have an unusually high loss one week.