any zumba success stories?

Options
kleonard42
kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
I have been doing this for about 5 weeks now. Most of my time working out has been doing Zumba dvd's and I really noticed a difference. This week I have only been doing the treadclimber, and though it's a good workout, it just doesn't make me feel as awesome as Zumba does! I guess I thought it would be good to mix things up, but...I don't know. I'm rambling lol. I guess what I'm looking for are any Zumba success stories. If I stick with Zumba and walking at night with my family, will I be noticing a difference in my body each month?

Please help! I'm so curious and I want to do what gets me the best results.

Thanks!!!

36525582.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Zumba will keep you brain engaged longer than any cardio machine. The machines can actually leave you feeling mentally sluggish if you are just tuning out for an hour.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Zumba will keep you brain engaged longer than any cardio machine. The machines can actually leave you feeling mentally sluggish if you are just tuning out for an hour.

Totally agree! I have been doing Zumba for a year now. I didn't actually start seeing results until I started adding other things to my work out, but I love how engaging Zumba is. I can't dance worth a damn but I sure do feel sexy shaking my a** in class lol. I say if, you're getting results, then stick with it.
  • asratka
    asratka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for just over 2 years. Helped me lose 52 pounds. I do it 4 times a week, 45 to 60 minutes a time (depending on the instructor). Certain days she'll focus on more cardio songs and then the next time is more squat oriented songs. And man, do I work up a nice sweat.

We have a nice class of about 5 to 10 people each time. And I'm the only guy that does it, so I tend not to do the stuff that gets too hip shaky, but I will do something in its place to keep moving.

I think it's a great workout and would recommend it to anyone.
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have a huge success just yet but it is a small success story for me. I have been doing zumba since February and eating healtheir. I have lost 10 pounds, lost 1.5 inches from my waist and down one size already. I have 3 more pounds to go for my first short term goal. I am excited and getting ready to add walking to my excersie on the weekends. Initially I started in January 2013 just watching my calories.
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    Zumba is a fun workout, doesn't really feel like your working out & the time just flies by.
  • FitBrit91
    Options
    Not putting any downs on Zumba, but have you tried Chalene Johnson's TurboFire?
  • beachluvr19
    Options
    I noticed that when my diet is right my Zumba make more of an impact of course. It really helped me tone for my wedding and I have been doing it for about 2 years now. I really enjoy it!
  • gammols
    gammols Posts: 12
    Options
    Love my zumba classes. While I have not seen huge results, I know i feel better when i do it so I keep going. Eventually it will catch up with me and show on the scales. I am now logging everything i put in my mouth and so I have to think that it will come off eventually. I have had several instructors with huge huge weight loss from Zumba. So keep shaking, I know I will.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    yup....did nothing but zumba for about 3 years and lost 50 pounds, added in weights and strength training when i joined mfp in october and have lost another 42...but zumba's what got the ball rolling for me! started off in the back of the room barely able to do 10 minutes and now i'm 92 (holy crap that just hit me, 92..wow) pounds lighter and front row dead center...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba since the end of April of last year and 40lbs down before that but the rest is on zumba....love it. Diet and Zumba, couldn't ask for anything better. And my instructor is amazing. She Zumba'd up until 2 weeks before her due date. Luckily she had someone to take her place that was just as amazing.
  • kleonard42
    Options
    Thanks, you guys!

@FitBrit91- I havent tried turbo fire but I have been thinking about dedicating a month to Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. While I want Zumba to be my main workout, I still want to have other things worked into it for the best results.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor to my zumba class and even on low intensity I ended up spending 500 calories. Doing elliptical for one hour also makes me spend about 500 calories. I prefer zumba any day over elliptical or treadmill. At the end of the day, any kind of physical activity is good for you. Number of calories burned and how much you enjoy it should matter.
  • kleonard42
    Options
    yup....did nothing but zumba for about 3 years and lost 50 pounds, added in weights and strength training when i joined mfp in october and have lost another 42...but zumba's what got the ball rolling for me! started off in the back of the room barely able to do 10 minutes and now i'm 92 (holy crap that just hit me, 92..wow) pounds lighter and front row dead center...

That's awesome!! Thank you, this helps. I just really didn't know what to expect if I just mainly do Zumba. Every once in a while I'll do some ab and arm stuff afterwards if I'm still feeling really energetic, but I know my whole body is getting a work out just from doing Zumba alone. I have 31 more pounds to lose and I'd love for most of that to be because of Zumba...just didn't know how realistic that was!
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba!! I've been using the Zumba Core for Wii. I started Nov 28th, and as of today, I've lost 15 lbs using it and MFP counting my calories. I love it, and its so much fun. I work up a serious sweat and I see definition in my arms, shoulders, back, my stomach is flatter, and the tops of my upper thighs are much tighter. So excited because I'm halfway there!!!!
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor with lots of success stories. I love to dance and share that love with others. It's like other workouts as far as you get out of it what you put into it but it's SOOOO much fun!!! <---in other words you can't be shy about shakin' it in class!

I had a lady tell me this week in class that she has had to tighten her bra clasp from the largest size to the smallest and her pants are staring to fall off!!! She has been in my class twice a week for 2-3months.

I do however firmly believe that strength training is essential to prevent/breakthrough weight loss plateaus.

ZuMbA LoVe!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Zumba 4 days a week for a year and lost 100 lbs without really changing her diet. So I would say that is success! Unfortunately when she stopped Zumba and continued eating poorly she gained it all back.
  • FitBrit91
    Options
    I am personally doing TurboFire right now. I am telling you, BEST & most fun program I have ever done! You should look into it! It is challenging, but Chalene literally makes you excited to do the class!
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30 pounds so far doing Zumba. I love it! It keeps me engaged for an hour without thinking "when will this be over?"
  • chera79
    chera79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I discovered it about 4 years ago. My trainer at the gym I used to go to introduced me to it and I loved it. Unfortunately, I was way too self conscious to go often enough or put enough effort in for it to really make a difference. Then I moved and started going to classes at the YMCA twice a week and lost 20lbs in no time. Of course, I was also burning crazy amounts of calories from breast feeding, but still, I know Zumba played a huge part. Now I am at it again at my new gym. I upped my Zumba classes to once a week, sometimes, to three times a week last week. And I lost 7lbs that week. I think Zumba once again played a big part in it. Like someone else said, you get more engaged in the activity than you would a treadmill. I am the biggest one in my class and probably the least coordinated, but I truly enjoy it and give it all I've got. That makes a huge difference! :)
  • ladylocker
    ladylocker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds & countless inches over the past year doing primarily zumba. Not earth shattering, but I feel better, look better, have more confidence than before. I've also read that dance helps work out the mind! You might check out the ladies from the Refit Studio. They have a number of videos on YouTube, and they are AMAZING! They also have just put out a video! Find them on Facebook or Google them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!