The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    How extremely infuriating it is that EVERYBODY has something to say about you losing weight or eating differently than they do.

This too. So irritating. Where were all these personal trainers handing out free advice before I decided to go it alone!?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    my feet shinking a whole size! and nobody talks about being in between a size in underwear! that is not fun. :P
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add something positive to this incredibly depressing thread.

Cool thing about weight loss for me that no one ever talked about was how incredibly empowering it is. I feel like going through this craziness of losing weight makes me feel like I can pretty much accomplish anything now. Cheesy, but good stuff.

I had this same experience - I even applied (and got accepted) to law school at age 42 - something I have wanted but was convinced would never happen my entire life. I am a totally new person in that respect.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    TONS of things! My worst problem was boob sag. Ended up getting a lift. Also, being colder in the winter and the *kitten* hurts from sitting too long without all the padding. I'm not complaining though. I'd take any of these over obesity.

God, I am agreeing with so many of these.

This too!
  • ainjii
    ainjii Posts: 3
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.

I worry about this, but for a different reason. I worry that I'll fall off the weight-loss train and go back to being bigger again. And then the new skinny clothes will taunt me in my closet.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.

Too true. Got my jeans belted in but the bottom is baggy! But NOT buying any new ones until I drop a bit more weight ;)

Goodwill. The one in my town has great quality clothes, designer stuff, I've been getting beautiful suede jackets, never worn, for $ 5.44. Yes...five dollars forty four cents. I buy all my work clothes/barn clothes there, and some of my best clothes as well. Salvation Army is more expensive... sheepskin coat, $ 35.00.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I get ridiculed by my friends for my food choices. I don't refuse to go to restaurants, but I'll order a child's portion (much more manageable for me if it's pasta) or I'll order sauce on the side, and I think they get embarassed because I have a lot of special requests. (I always tip well for the trouble! haha)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    How little I would actually notice. I don't feel skinnier than I did 25 lbs. ago. I only have clothes, other people, and the scale to tell me otherwise, but when I'm standing in the shower, it's like I'm the same as always.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

I wish I could like this.

...and I'm also looking into if my health insurance covers a therapist now that I don't eat my emotions.

No kidding. Not just for emotional issues from my bad relationship with food but just in general, I feel broken...
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As I'm going through my weight loss journey, I'm realizing there are so many things that people don't talk about. I thought I heard it all, but the reality is until you go through it - you know nothing.

What's something that you learned in your weight loss that no one talks about?

it's not that nobody talks about it, but maintenance is a *****!!!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Fat girl issues. I still see myself as big in certain outfits or photos and anyone else thinks I'm absolutely crazy. Confidence doesn't come free with weight loss!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options

What she said, either because I've lost more or me being STOOOOOPID and gaining weight back.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming fear of gaining the weight back.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The comments from people " oh, she can't eat that so no need to make it" I think that non dieters have no idea that we still EAT! That and the clothes... I have bought 5 new sizes this year, lots of money loss. We should start a clothing trade on here !!!! :)

They would be a great idea!
  • Tiff050709
    Options
    The overwhelming fear of gaining the weight back.

This
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    TONS of things! My worst problem was boob sag. Ended up getting a lift. Also, being colder in the winter and the *kitten* hurts from sitting too long without all the padding. I'm not complaining though. I'd take any of these over obesity.

God, I am agreeing with so many of these.

This too!

Ah I agree :( But I also know a lot of it is in my head as my boyfriend thinks I must be mental if I think they're saggy. I suppose when we've given our bodies a complete overhaul, we make a bigger deal in our heads of the things that we would have been completely fine about if we'd lost the weight overnight. If that makes sense?
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    the overwhelming fear of gaining the weight back or to stop loosing at some point .. like for me i wanna keep loosing and loosing but i don t have much to lose anymore and it slowed down a whole lot ( i am probably at my last 5-10 lbs) i guess i just don't know when to stop . its a mental journey for sure

also you lose weight but your mind don't have time to adjust and you still see yourself fat til it adjust .. i had about a month delay on each milestones XD
  • Miss_dannii
    Options
    my feet shinking a whole size! and nobody talks about being in between a size in underwear! that is not fun. :P

I wish my feet shrank a size or even a little! I've got quite wide feet and even after losing 80+ pounds, shoes are still tight on me. (the next size up is too big) :devil:
  • Tiff050709
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

I wish I could like this.

...and I'm also looking into if my health insurance covers a therapist now that I don't eat my emotions.

No kidding. Not just for emotional issues from my bad relationship with food but just in general, I feel broken...

I am going through this right now. I couldn't really explain it but now that I see it written (and by someone else) I can understand my emotions right now.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    It will take a lot longer than a few weeks. I know a few people that expect to lose 50+ lbs in a month or so and that's near impossible.
    Also matter how naturally gifted you are in the boob area, you will lose some of it as you shrink. I think I've dropped a cup size since starting....