The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options
As I'm going through my weight loss journey, I'm realizing there are so many things that people don't talk about. I thought I heard it all, but the reality is until you go through it - you know nothing.

What's something that you learned in your weight loss that no one talks about?

Replies

• moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.
  • OroroMunroe
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The comments from people " oh, she can't eat that so no need to make it" I think that non dieters have no idea that we still EAT! That and the clothes... I have bought 5 new sizes this year, lots of money loss. We should start a clothing trade on here !!!! :)
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I am kinda old, but still I didn't think this would happen to me because I wasn't that fat-- This morning I notice that the slab of fat that was covering my abdonen is less, but now the skin is unpleasantly wrinkled and I don't think that will go away. So my bikini years are over, even if I get to my goal weight. :cry:
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I expected my clothes to shrink but nobody told me my feet were going to shrink! I went from a 9.5 to an 8.5, maaaybe 9. Not a huge difference and I can get away with wearing my old sneakers and flats, but heals had to be replaced because I stepped out of them when walking.

Another experience I had – and this could just be my experience and not happen to everyone – was that, while nobody talked about my weight when I was at my heaviest, once I started losing the flood gates opened and nearly everyone suddenly thought it was ok to comment on my weight. I didn't really mind, none of it was negative and I have always been happy to share my experiences and encourage others to do what makes them happy, but it did sort of become the only thing people would talk about and there is more to me.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When we start to get to the core of why we are overweight and eat unhealthy and don't exercise...we begin seeing changes...it's not a overnight miracle it's a journey and a work in progress.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Losing a ton of weight and still not being happy with the way I look, busting my *kitten* just to maintain, and bruised buttocks from doing situps!
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with the belly skin, never had a bikini body but still sucks
  • jamgrl1
    jamgrl1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The fear of actually seeing change. Knowing I want to lose the weight, but mentally I feel like its not actually going to happen.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.

Too true. Got my jeans belted in but the bottom is baggy! But NOT buying any new ones until I drop a bit more weight ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic expectations (like, I will probably not lose the stretching marks I have even if I lose 70 more lb... and belly skin).
    The constant fear that I'll put on the weight back (as it's happened before).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am kinda old, but still I didn't think this would happen to me because I wasn't that fat-- This morning I notice that the slab of fat that was covering my abdonen is less, but now the skin is unpleasantly wrinkled and I don't think that will go away. So my bikini years are over, even if I get to my goal weight. :cry:

Yeah--it's Spanx for me. :frown: I have this "flap" developing as I lose BF. It is disgusting. but I refuse to get operated on (tummy tuck) for the sake of vanity.:ohwell:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.
  • 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with all the " buying clothes then loosing more weight "
    I have some of the most lovely uk 14 stuff here I still need to sell. I spent flipping hundereds on that size. :(
  • DoriGaga
    DoriGaga Posts: 96
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am "shrinking" into clothes I "grew out" of..
    Downside is, sometimes it's that inbetween size, too big for size X jeans, and too small for Y size jeans..

I was thinking of raiding goodwill for inbeweeny stuff, because I dont plan on being at any size for long/

Oh and the one thing I dont think anyones mentioned yet, my girls are shrinking :( Not that there was much before, now theres less..
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of raiding goodwill for inbeweeny stuff, because I dont plan on being at any size for long/
    I do this! Got some chinos just the other day. Only $4.29. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new clothes that you'll only wear for a few months anyway. Then when you need the next size down, you can donate back the ones you just had, and get some more.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

This is EXACTLY what I'm going through right now.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Some styles of clothing stop working on you. Even in the right size I've found that some of my wrap dresses and A line skirts look awkward on me now.

Since I started weight training, my bikini looks much better though, so I'm not complaining ;)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    How differently I would be treated.I kind of resent it sometimes.

I'm the same person with the same personality and the same brain.

Yet I was with the same company for 14 years and didn't get any of the promotions I put in for until I lost weight.

P.S no longer with that company and have a much better job!