Did Zumba really burn that many calories?!

Options
matchbox_girl
matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
I am 225 pounds. I just did a 45 minute Zumba "class" at home. I didn't stop. There were twelve songs. It kicked my *kitten*. According to a calorie calculator I found online, I burned 648 calories....does this seem right? If so, I'm impressed! If not....shucks ;)

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it could be - the one or two times i did zumba on the xbox ( dont remember how much i weighed, maybe around 250?) i only played for about 20 minutes and burned 200 calories according to my HRM. i wasnt going all out, mainly because i didnt know all the moves yet - i bet if i knew them and had no issues with keeping up i could have burned more
  • matchbox_girl
    Options

That's the site where I got my calorie count.....it's kind of a contradiction now LoL
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It depends on so much! I weight 137 (I am very muscular) and do Zumba at the gym like an animal. Very high intensity. I log 500-600 and hour depending. (I would rather shoot low than high) You could ring me and my clothes out when I am done. You can do Zumba and not really do high impact at all. Weight is also a factor. The only real way to know is a HRM. Keep it up though!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Oops lol
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i havent worn my heart rate monitor while doing zumba yet, its something i have been meaning to try. it told me i burned over 800 calories in one full length session on the wii and i think that is exaggerated. i doubt i really burned that many!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm very close to your weight and I do Zumba with an HRM. When I do it at home it's about 450-500 cals/h and when I do a real class it's between 650 and 800/h. It really burns a whole lot and it's really fun. It's my main cardio workouts!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on my wii/xbox, I'm 270 and I usually get 600 for an hour - my median heart rate is about 140 usually if that helps
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Even at low intensity it would still be at least a 500 cal burn. At least it's a burn, I wouldn't worry too much on the numbers unless you are wanting to eat back all the calories.
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba and my HRM logs between 850-1020 cals per hour class. I'm teaching so I have to go Full throttle the full hour and I don't take breaks between songs-they play straight through.

Things to consider- instructors have different styles and intensities, no one class is the same. Best advice wear your HRM and make sure it is programmed appropriately and frequently with your current weight. Make sure to check your HR between songs to keep it as accurate as possible.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    I just ordered an HRM :)
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg

Muahahahaha Jesus...
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There is no friggin' way I burn what many online calculators say I do for Zumba (generally around 600). That would be almost as much as me running a 10k, according to MFP. I enter 200 for an hour-long class.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg

Way to be a judgey SOB...
  • wilki089
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg

I think that may have more to do with McDonalds than Zumba.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Isn't it science that the more you weight the more calories you burn..........?
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol

Really? Because we alllllllllll know that big girls can't be in shape right? SMH....

Yes you are right big girls can be in shape and some of the most fit friends I have started out big. Obvisouly any exercise is a good start, sorry I didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone, just spitting out some of my horrible humor.
  • wilki089
    Options
    Isn't it science that the more you weight the more calories you burn..........?

Yes ma'am!
    It makes me very upset when I log a jog for my exercise and burn 300cals and log the same for my husband and he burns 500. Ugh!..and did I mention he gets to eat double my calories and still loses weight. Sorry-I got on my soap box. :tongue:
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true!!! I have lost all of my weight with MFP and doing Zumba and strength training!! I did Zumba this morning...took a class at my gym and the Zumba calculator I used on the internet said for my weight which is 158 and doing Zumba for one hour, I burned 640 calories!! :bigsmile:

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/