What does your weekly exercise routine look like?

Options
We all know planning makes a huge difference. It's nice knowing exactly what you're going to do before you even get in the gym. I wanna see your beautiful fitness plans!

I've been drafting up some different work out routines for myself, based on what I've already been doing, and I'd love to get ideas from others too.

M- Rest (hate the gym on Mondays so I make it my rest day)
T- Lifting - 60 min - Chest and triceps
W- Cardio - 30-60 min
Th- Lifting - 60 min - Back and biceps
F- Cardio - 30-60 min
S- Lifting - 60 min - Legs and calves
S- Lifting - 60 min - Shoulders and abs

What does your weekly exercise routine look like?

Replies

• spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to vary mine up. And especially because of my schedule, it's hard to stay consistent. But I used to do a lot of running and cardio, with minimal lifting. My cardio consisted of mostly treadmills and stairmasters. Sometimes I'd go on a bike or elliptical for lighter cardio days. When I'd lift, I'd pick a body part (or combination of body parts) and work on them. For instance, I'd got chest and triceps, or back and biceps. But, since my "gym" is actually the hospital's fitness center, it's not equipped like the New York Sports Clubs or other hardcore gyms. So I typically use any free weights and machines I can find. I'm planning to start doing boxing and ju jitsu in the coming months, and I'll incorporate that into my routines.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sunday, Monday - rest days (but sometimes Sunday is my 6 mile run day - but it has to be nice out)
    Tuesday - 60 minutes heavy lifting - full body, includes 20 minutes cardio warmup and stretching (first of 2 alternating workouts)
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - 60 minutes heavy lifting - full body, includes 20 minutes cardio warmup and stretching (second of 2 alternating workouts)
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - 60 minutes heavy lifting - full body, includes 20 minutes cardio warmup and stretching (first of 2 alternating workouts)

I follow the weight training plan in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. Lost almost an inch on hips, almost an inch on stomach - widest part, and almost half inch on waist in 12 workouts! I am just completing Stage 1 this week and getting ready to shift into Stage 2.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm doing P90X2 and starting phase 2 on Monday. It looks like this:

Monday - Chest - Back & Balance
    Tuesday - Plyocide
    Wednesday - Recovery & Mobility
    Thursday - X2 Shoulders & Arms
    Friday - Yoga
    Saturday - Base & Back
    Sunday - Rest or Recovery & Mobility
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    well starting monday im starting xtrain fit dvds.
    its a 12 week programme where it says you exercise every day for 12 weeks
    well im not following it like that, its important to have a rest day,
    so im going to take a rest day every 3-4 days. e.g. exercise 3 days, rest, exercise 4 days rest and so on.
    the dvds include, cardio, circuit burnout, legs, arms, hardcore, stretch, yoga and chest/back.
    week 1-3 fat shred.
    week 4-9 strength and burn
    week 10-12 finalization.
    all the workouts are 40- 80 mins with 4 different levels to work at.
    cant wait!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Wednesday-- Weights (chest, triceps)
    Thursay-- HIIT, about 30 minutes
    Friday-- Weights (back, biceps)
    Saturday-- Yoga and a 30 minute run
    Sunday-- Weights (shoulders, legs)
    Monday-- 40 minute run
    Tuesday-- rest

I mix some core stuff in there wherever there's room, twice a week. I also shuffle the non-weights routines around a lot, or just swap them out with other things. Some weeks I'll do yoga twice, sometimes I'll do a long run on all those days, etc. Just for variety's sake.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have P90X too and really loved the videos but I just can't stand working out at home! Too little space, cat attacks me, etc...
    I'm a gym girl.
    I dream of having my own gym.
    If I don't have my workout memorized, I take notes from online work out videos and write them on index cards, then bring them to the gym.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to change mine to fit in C25k, and I've already figured out two schedules that totally don't work. But this is what I'm trying starting this week:

M: Light lift, C25k
    Tu: Pool (morning), heavy lift (evening)
    W: Core, C25k
    Th: Medium lift
    F: Heavy lift, light cardio
    Sa: C2k5
    Su: Rest (Maybe pool? Trying to figure out how to work the timing on this one.)

Goodness but I do hate running. Gonna finish this C25k thing, run my race, and never ever do it again.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    M-F some strength training with a resistance band at work, different ones each day to target a different body part. Standing Mason Twist, 90 on each side every week day. Px90 for abs, just added last week, need to slim the tummy! Walking, about six days a week. I have my goal set at 40 minutes of exercise each day, need to move this up a bit.

I can walk two miles in 34 minutes. Need to whittle that down just a bit more to get a good 5K time. 5K really come out for spring time here next month in Omaha. I try for about 40 minutes of exercise everyday and don't count too much of my walking at work. But, I do wear a pedometer to challenge myself to make more than 10,000 steps a day!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    running your 5k or walking it?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mon, Wed, Fri: Running (right now 5k, will be slowly adding miles as I go), between 45-60 minutes
    Tues, Thurs, Sat: Weight Lifting, 60 minutes
    Sun: Active rest day

Days I am off work a 3 mile walk at the dog park with the pups....this is on top of the other workouts if it is Mon-Sat.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Monday - Bodyweight Pushing exercises. Power Yoga session at home.
    Tuesday - Bodyweight Legs. Kettlebell session. Anusara Yoga at home.
    Wednesday - Anusara Yoga class.
    Thursday - Swim. Bodyweight Pull-ups and pulling exercises. Anusara Yoga at home.
    Friday - Bodyweight Pushing exercises. Power Yoga session at home.
    Saturday - Anusara Yoga class. Kettlebell session.
    Sunday - Bodyweight Pull-ups and pulling exercises. Power Yoga session at home.

Wednesday is relatively my active rest day as the yoga in this class is more about stretching and balances than strength.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Mondays and Wednesdays, I have 50 minutes of tap dance, 60 minutes of pointe ballet, and 90 minutes of modern dance, plus stretching/warming up thrown in ad libitum. Wednesdays, I also do some pretty intensive carpentry for about 2 hours. That TOTALLY counts. I am usually sweating and panting by the time I'm done.

Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have 90 minutes of ballet (no pointe) and 90 minutes of Horton (a kind of modern dance, in a way), plus more stretching/warming up.

Fridays, I have 3 hours of stage combat and 90 minutes of ballet. Then there's that stretching/warming up again...

Saturdays and Sundays I try to do some strength training or yoga or something, but it doesn't usually happen. That's okay, though, because I'm still getting fit without it :) I do usually stretch though :happy:
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    I do a 4-day split
    Monday - Chest and back - Cardio
    Tuesday - Legs and abs
    Wednesday - Arms
    Thursday - Shoulders and abs
    Friday to Sunday - Cardio (30 minutes)
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    M. PowerCut( 60 min full body weight lifting) 60 min cardio afterwards
    T. Tabata/TRX
    W. kickboxing
    T. PowerCut 60min and HIIT afterwards
    F. Cycle spin or my rest day if I am on my 7 days off
    S. cardio or rest day if I am on 7 days at work
    S. cardio
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - StrongLifts 5x5 with added complimentary lifts for specific muscle groups worked...
    (So higher rep leg presses, leg curls, incline bench presses, flys, Arnold presses, bent over flys for rear shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc...)

Tuesday and Thursday - medium impact cardio

Saturday and Sunday - my choice of complete rest or light to medium impact cardio.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Mon - rest
    Tues - rest
    Weds - Strong Lifts 5x5 + run (5-7+k)
    Thurs - rest
    Fri - Strong Lifts 5x5 + run (5-7+k)
    Sat - rest, but often involves walking a few miles
    Sun - Strong Lifts 5x5 + bike (currently 16k, but increasing to 20 over the new few weeks)

Runs tend to be one easy (eg slow 6k or easy 5k) plus one hard (timed 5k or 7k fartleks). I usually do cardio right before I lift, but this week I split it lifting before work and cardio after which worked well from a performance point of view. PITA from a showering, changing etc one though!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of changing mine as well. Gonna run or run/walk a 10K in May, and while I walk very fast, I'm not really a runner, so sorta doing C25K if I can actually fit it in. Here is my plan:

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: Kettlebell (:45 class at my gym) and C25K
    Wednesday: Spin (:45)
    Thursday: circuit training and C25K
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: Body Pump (:60 class at my gym) and C25K
    Sunday: Spin (:60)

I also walk every day at least a couple of miles, even on "rest" days. This plan has a lot of cardio, but I may not do quite that much. Tuesdays and Thursdays my gym time is limited, so I will only do the cardio if I have time, and since the time is changing, I may do it after work even tho my gym stuff is all morning stuff. Except the Sunday Spin which is mid-afternoon because the gym is closed in the morning.
  • toyger1
    toyger1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I work part time shift work so my routine varies but I teach Zumba every Monday, run 5k 2-3 times a week, 1 class either body pump, boxfit or circuit training and sometimes a PT session with lots of weights. I aim for 5 days a week
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    6 days Insanity
    1 day rest :laugh:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Recently changed mine to this:

Sun/Tue/Thu: Stronglifts
    Mon/Fri: Moderate Cardio, 30-40 minutes
    Wed/Sat: Rest