Uninvited guests & Unexpected visitors

Options
13»

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Unless its someone like my mum or something I generally won't answer. In this age of mobile phones, Facebook etc there is absolutely no reason not to call before you visit. It's just rude to force your presence on to people
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    I'm a single female that lives alone. Unless one of my friends texts or calls me and tells me they're coming or if I have an appointment with the cable guy or something, I don't answer the door.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I peek sneakily out the side window and then hunker down in my living room all quiet like until they stop knocking.

^^THIS! Even for pest control. They have keys, so most often I stay in bed & pretend to sleep. I'm not a people person haha
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I really hate that. One of my pet peeves. Besides for my best friend, who will usually text me as she's walking up to the door, I don't answer for anyone I'm not expecting.

I was raised that it's extremely rude to stop by uninvited, and I have no tolerance for it. Especially since I usually lounge around in a messy room with only my birthday suit on.

It's so inconvenient to throw on clothes and scramble to make my place look presentable just because you couldn't give me the courtesy of a quick phone call or text message to let me know you're coming.

I don't even check to see who it is, I don't care. I just won't open the door.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican, it's what we do.

I am too but oddly it's in my family where it's taboo, and in hubby's who is not mexican where it seems to be okay? In my family where it's not okay I will adress the protocol for OP who by posting must not be ok with it either. I personally hate it. When said uninvited guest knocks, you evaluate whether any lights are on or loud movies or music telltale signs someone is home.

You run around whisper/scrambling until you decide if you can pretend you're not home/or realize they must have driven two hours to see you or were in the area and something is wrong and they need your help and you must open the door. Then you open the door with this look on your face :blushing: or :huh: depending on what you were doing when they showed up and exactly who it is.

Then you ask "What are you doing here!?!?" in that tone, and shake hands profusely and hug waiting for said emergency explanation or just wanted to see you. Then you ransack your cupboards for anything to give them to eat or drink, offer your restroom and whatever else may be needed, restaurant ideas, local hotel ideas, shopping or sightseeing locations, AAA card and a phone, or just a place to sit and wait out traffic. You never give up your bed. That would only invite the practice to continue. Sweaters is ok they will mail them back. Jackets for kids is your duty, with the phrase "he can keep it".

All of this because two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do. The end.

You're very gracious. :bigsmile:

I just drop down onto the floor and crawl like a snake along the carpet to the nearest corner where they can't see me from the door. Then I lay there, all panicked and breathing heavily, not making a sound. And when they bang on the door and yell "Open up, this is the police!" I stay put, because I'm not falling for their trick to lure me out, see. Eventually they leave to get their warrant and then that's when I make my getaway.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I peek sneakily out the side window and then hunker down in my living room all quiet like until they stop knocking.

^^This! Unless it's my BFF, who knows my house is in a constant state of disarray and that I may or may not be naked, and could not care less.

lol, my younger sister made the mistake of not calling before she came over...my house was trashed...as normal...and i was at the time naked. she now calls before she comes over lol
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    If its not UPS, FedEx or someone I know, I don't answer, especially if hubby isn't home and it's just me and my daughter.
    Otherwise I make hubby answer the door.
    I did open to a "salesman" type of guy several months ago and he seemed somewhat suspicious.
    Told him I wasn't interested and closed (locked) the door.
    Found out that he was checking out the neighborhood and broke into the house of a single woman on our block.
    I don't like that I'm setting an example of how to be rude and deceptive to our daughter, but we live in a violent city and we just can't trust people...
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I haven't had unannounced/uninvited guests since I was in my 20s.

When I did, I didn't mind and would spontaneously cook for them.

This
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I had an open door policy. Anyone could drop round provided I was decent, but they would have to just accept what I was doing which could range from cleaning the U-bend on the toilet to baking a cake. Most people thought I was joking when I invited them to turn up, but they got the hang of it pretty quickly because they usually got roped into whatever I was doing!! My girlfriend then moved in (and later became my wife, but that is another story!) and didn't like my 'open house', so it quickly stopped, but I still like it when people just turn up. :smile: