I'm vegetarian, I'm not telling you what to do

Options

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. I think people take eating way too seriously.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When the moderators shut down a thread, it is generally a bad idea to start the thread again.

I would like to know why it was shut down in the first place since I didn't see it violating any rules and when they locked it they did not cite a reason.

That's probably something you should message a mod about. But..overall...if you eat meat, cool. If you don't...cool. Live on.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Sometimes vegetarians remind me of Christians. Don't try to convert me and everything will go much smoother for you. Try to convert me, or try to preach to me, and you're going to get an earfull right back.

The reasons people decide to go vegetarian are private (or they should be.) If asked, that's one thing. It doesn't seem to be the case frequently. If you have a belief and you are going to talk about it - be prepared for discussions.

It's right up there with gun control and politics in the things-you-don't-bring-up-unless-you're-prepared-for-dissenting-opinions.

I don't think what is happening in the meat industry should be private. What is happening is also a fact . (It's not like arguing religion) But what I can say is that vegetarian isn't the way to combat the main stream meat industry. I was vegetarian, but now I just buy local and/or organic, humanely raised meat which in effect is aiming to accomplish the same thing. (If veggies thought eating animals was cruel, they would most likely convert to vegan) But whenever you call someone out or make your opinion known, yeah, you're definitely going to make people uncomfortable. It's kind of like knowing my christian friends think I'm going to hell for not believing in Jesus.

This is probably the reason your thread got locked.

The OP wanted to know about people and reactions, not get a lecture on the meat industry.

This post is a violation because it gets off topic.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    people are people. if they are pushy they'd be pushy no matter what they practice. I'm a christian who eats whatever... lol! I don't push my faith on anyone who's not interested. If you ask questions be prepared for an answer. you don't ask I don't tell... lol! have a great day being who you are!
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My issues are not with vegetarians as I will try to accommodate them if I'm having dinner at my house for friends. My issue lies only with those that are hostile with me over my food choices. We should all be respectful of each others lifestyles. There was a time when I was having a discussion about opening up a dog rescue and the first thing said to me was that if I eat meat, then I can't be trusted around animals. Needless to say, that person has not been in my life since then.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been a vegetarian 20+ years and many people I know have no idea. A friend I've known for about 7 years just recently got a hint based on a facebook post I made and asked me, "Are you a vegetarian?" I don't talk about it, unless I'm out to lunch with someone, or somewhere that I might be looking at my options for food (and much of the time I manage to choose something or have it modified and the person I'm with never notices).

I just don't see the need to talk about it with people, I don't hide the fact, I'm quite open with it if it comes up, but I never find myself coming out and saying, "I'm a vegetarian so I'm going to choose this". I just choose it and that's that. If I'm at a party and there are no vegetarian options (first, I usually eat beforehand knowing this is a possibility) I just make it work, I've had entire dinners consisting of the veggie tray and crackers. The last thing I want to do is point out to my host that they are not accommodating my dietary choices, that seems really ungracious.

So, I haven't really gotten any really obnoxious comments or anything, I don't debate it with people, it's a personal choice (my son is 5 and not a vegetarian, he has the option of choosing the vegetarian dish I prepare or the meat dish I prepare for my husband, and he knows his meat comes from animals and that we don't waste because an animal gave its life for us, but that's it). When he's older he can choose for himself based on his own free thinking, but I'm not going to try to force my choice on him because I want him to grow to understand the value of thinking and making decisions for yourself. My husband's grandmother was obnoxious about it, (she made a pasta salad with crab once and was forcefully trying to offer me some so I had to politely decline), but it was in an "Oh, you ordered the veggie burger, I'm going to get that too," she would ALWAYS wait for me to order and then order the exact same thing, which was just plain weird, but I never said anything to her about it.
  • Cameronie
    Cameronie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll summarize it this way: my meat eating friends and I will always ensure there is something for our vegetarian friend to eat when we cook or go out. Conversely, if the vegetarian friend is making the plan or hosting, she would never ensure there is meat where we go, instead would take us to a veggie only place or only cook vegetarian things rather than considering both herself and the alternative eating lifestyle, as we would do for her. Though she is a dear friend I think this aptly summarizes the way vegetarians feel superior and want to foist their lifestyle upon you even when they claim not to. She is always quick to say "oh of course I don't care if you eat meat....(insert mumbled comment about how she just 'disagrees' because its unhealthy unnatural and cruel..." That is NOT being accepting.

There are places that don't have anything for a vegetarian/vegan to eat. So that's nice that you'll find some place that has a couple of things she could order....

As for your complaints.... When she takes you to a Vegetarian restaurant.... You still have 100% of the menu to choose from. What's the problem? You're kind of sounding like, all you eat is meat and you can't eat anything from a plant.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend finds it really funny to shove ribs in my face and tell me to smell them, but other than that he's supportive.
    My whole household is at least pseudo-vegetarian, me being the only actual vegetarian, so I don't get much crap for it here.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll summarize it this way: my meat eating friends and I will always ensure there is something for our vegetarian friend to eat when we cook or go out. Conversely, if the vegetarian friend is making the plan or hosting, she would never ensure there is meat where we go, instead would take us to a veggie only place or only cook vegetarian things rather than considering both herself and the alternative eating lifestyle, as we would do for her. Though she is a dear friend I think this aptly summarizes the way vegetarians feel superior and want to foist their lifestyle upon you even when they claim not to. She is always quick to say "oh of course I don't care if you eat meat....(insert mumbled comment about how she just 'disagrees' because its unhealthy unnatural and cruel..." That is NOT being accepting.
    Hi there. Well, I'm a vegetarian and I know that the vast majority of restaurants serve meat, so I'm never really worried about where I take my meat-eating friends as long as I know it's not too hard for me to eat there. Someone who eats meat can eat 100% of what's on any menu, youknow? (providing they don't have some other sort of special diet like gluten-free, lactose-free, etc) I normally pick a compromise place like Panera Bread or Moe's Southwest Grill--both excellent sources of veggie food and meat. But maybe if your veggie friend bring you to an all vegan/vegetarian restaurant it's just because they think it's cool and want a friend to share their cool niche restaurant with. After all, you can have anything on that menu.

As for going to their house, while I'm sure it'd be nice if your vegetarian friend ordered a pizza with part-meat on it, you can't expect them to feel comfortable preparing a meat dish and touching the dead animal themselves. It makes some vegetarians sick and just is uncomfortable. Come on now, you can't visit a Hindu and complain when you don't get steak for dinner.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Bump, because this is an interesting topic....
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it's just human nature to think that everything is about them. They hear a statement that has nothing to do with them whatsoever and they take is some kind of affront. Like posters who come on this board that want to lose 40 lbs and announce that they feel fat and disgusting...it's usually met with with protests of "But I'm bigger than you - so you're saying I'm disgusting???". Um no, no one was talking about you.

Anyway, I wish there was some kind of snappy comeback but I was a vegetarian for a couple of years and it's just part of it. As for the people who immediately start in with the "Mmmm bacon" taunting stuff, I was always tempted to wait until they took a bite of something and then give them a little factoid about their meal, like "Hey - did you know that veal calves are kept in tiny, filthy containers where they can't move so they won't build muscles, and are kept anemic so their flesh will be white, and are then often skinned alive? Yeah, their short lives are nothing but misery. Enjoy". But saying something like that would make me just as bad as the taunters, so I refrained.
  • cheffernan1990
    cheffernan1990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I dont care if my friends eat meat - my boyfriend eats meat and my whole family apart from my mum eats meat. However if i am cooking for everyone I will make vegetarian food - not because i am trying to force my beliefs on them but because I dont agree with the morals behind it so therefore i am not going to be involved in preparing a meat dish. If they want to to make something of their own and eat that instead i dont mind, I'm just not going to do it
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not sure why my thread was locked (admins did not let me know!) but I think it had some good responses so I'd like to get some more. PLEASE if you want to debate factory farming or something else please don't here because I don't want this thread to get locked too!

When I say I am vegetarian why does the other person assume that I just asked them to not eat meat? I don't understand that. Or why they need to bring up how much they "love"bacon or say "mmmm burgers" as if I cannot have them? I can, I can have vegetarian ones or I can go get one made out of meat. I choose not to eat animals, its not that I can't. So I would like some insight from non-vegetarians, is this your reaction or what do you say to someone you meet and they say they are vegetarian? If that is your reaction, why? Is it threatening that someone doesn't eat animals? Or do you take ot as an opportunity to joke? Or what if your reaction is different?

Also, vegetarians what reactions do you get? How do you respond? Also have you had any flack about ordering vegetarian at a resteraunt?

Also if you bring up that "most vegetarians are pushy" please give an specific in person example or how much more often than not that is the case. This can be with any eating style, paleo, omi, vegan, ect. Not just exclusive to vegetarians.

I would like to stay specific to ethical vegetarians, not people who do so for dietary reasons.

I have felt as though people expect me to defend my choices and prove to them why I think I am right and they are wrong. I don't. I do what I want to do. I don't care what other people choose to eat. I don't care what people think of my choices. Most people feel threatened when your choices are different to theirs (not just in food) because they see it as a judgement as though you think what they are doing is wrong. They get defensive because you are not the same as them and don't want to be, and don't seek anyone's approval. As the poster above said, people think everything is about them. How would I know what you should do? Its enough work looking after myself.

Anyone who nags other people about what they choose to do is annoying whether you eat meat or not, paint your face green, wear beige trousers, like plants, hate clowns. Its no one else's business - shut the hell up!

Also people in restaurants who make a big deal out of things like being vegetarian, without looking at the menu they have to make it clear to the waiter 'I'm a vegetarian' in slow talk for idiots as if they are sooo special and important that the whole kitchen will stop and focus on creating a unique tailored meal just for them. Just look at the menu, and if there's nothing there, just have veg and potatoes and don't go there again!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't care that I eat meat, I don't care that you don't.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    True vegetarians I've met IRL have not been any of the "stereotypes" that make you roll your eyes. I've got several on my friends and some I didn't even know that where until they told me.

The highest level of diet shaming and holier than though art peeps seems to come more from a minority of outspoken vegans and paleo followers. And then, most aren't really that bad, just a small to medium air of condescension when discussing food and nutrition/health topics.

I don't appreciate any talk of what is and isn't "moral" about food choices. That gets annoying quickly. It also brings a topic to a personal level and away from topics at hand.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i said i changed my diet to a clean organic vegetarian, the second, the people who eat bad start criticizing me that that is not the way to live and don't you wanna eat unhealthy food and just get stuffed? also that its UNHEALTHY to be so concerned about food and in general you should allow yourself to eat somethings, because if i don't im just crazy. this was when i went with my friends to a super market, got organic rice crackers, spinach some soy milk and other products......

did i tell them to change? no
    did i even say anything about the things they bought? no

they got their panties in a knot about nothing. its my choice to eat healthy, there is no reason to put me down and make me feel bad about myself and discourage me. just because they watch what they eat sometimes and other times they eat whatever doesnt make them bad eaters....

i just need more stability in my life and a rigorous lifestyle that i know i will get the best out of. im not a bad person.

(edit)
    PS. i didn't go vegetarian because i hate meat or killing animals, i just did it because i don't eat a lot of meat in general, it was no problem for me to switch a diet, sometimes ill have a small piece if my bf will eat it, but i just wanted to try something new in my life.
  • MrsSamiP
    MrsSamiP Posts: 11
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I do have friends who are for a few different reasons and it's never been a problem. They are not preachy to me in any way. They are very easy to compromise on restaurants with (although I also have no problems with going to vegetarian/vegan restaurants.) I've learned to cook for them but it also introduced me to a lot of new foods that I now eat regularly (like chick peas and other legumes.)

My reaction when some one tells me they are vegetarian (usually comes up with topic of food/where to eat) I just suggest an acceptable place to eat (when I'm in a city - as I live rurally) or I say no problem lets just go to the store and make sure we pick up something we can make for all of us.

I have met vegetarians who are pushy and I think that's where people get attitude back saying all the things about meat. I mean I usually ask "don't you miss it?" but more out of curiosity because while I would have no problem being a vegetarian (love the food and the health benefits) I think I would miss meat, check that I know I would.

I think the problem is people judge by their experience with the vegetarians they've met and the stereotype that has somehow come to be of them. Not by each new individual, which is how they should.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I happily cook meat for other people, our diets are our own choice.
    I don't get angry at being criticised, but sometimes I get BORED of having the same conversations over and over if I eat in front of people.

What's that?
    Why?
    But what about bacon?
    Don't you miss steak?
    I had a vegetarian meal once, but I wasn't full and felt like something was missing...

Change the record!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    the vegetarians get to eat first at conferences, lol well, the ones i go to, i always say, "I'll be a vegetarian today."

if someone chooses not to eat meat, then great, but I'll never agree with the idea that animals shouldn't be eaten. I believe we can consume to much of it which is what ails us as a country, but just in general, I'll always believe animals are here for our eating pleasure.

I would not tease a vegetarian though, I admire those who take on certain eating habits then stick to them despite opposition
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    " I am a Vegetarian, and you all carnivores will burn in HELL." --- Quote from a vegetarian, unknown.