Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone tells them that there's likely a BETTER way to arrive at their goals? I don't see why there's so much emotion tied to your decision to eat 1200 calories. Just like you think it's dumb that people care what other people are doing, don't you also think it's dumb that you care so much that people think your methods are unhealthy, ineffective, and unsustainable?
    Because I don't believe it's better for ME. Like I said, I know myself better than anyone. Someone who preaches that they know better than me is bound to create friction. It's not so hard to understand.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    1200 calories worked for me. It only amounts to a 250 calorie deficit, before exercise, so it's pretty much 1200 calories, or don't bother trying to lose weight.

It worked well enough that I'm not trying to lose weight, just trying not to gain it. I don't LIKE 1200 calories a day. I'm much happier having 1400-1500.

^^

Well, I am set at 1500 a day, but the totals are usually between 1600-1900, with occasional overages into the 2000s. I decided to plateau on purpose, eating at maintenance starting 2 weeks ago closer to 2k as I came down with the flu and listened to my body and slowed it all down.

So I upped the cals to the maintenance range (1900-2000) and reduced my exercise for about a week while I got over it. I did maintain, and did not gain or lose weight during that period. Actually, the silly scale is showing a body fat percentage loss of a couple of percent over the last couple of weeks even though I haven't really lost anything (I don't really trust that statistic... but seeing it still go down was kinda fascinating)

Now I am back in the saddle, restarted exercise again, and down another pound this morning. :)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone tells them that there's likely a BETTER way to arrive at their goals? I don't see why there's so much emotion tied to your decision to eat 1200 calories. Just like you think it's dumb that people care what other people are doing, don't you also think it's dumb that you care so much that people think your methods are unhealthy, ineffective, and unsustainable?

Why people care so much to constantly barrage people with different approaches that their is the 'wrong' one. Why not just leave people be?

Because when you're in a community and you're invested in helping people reach their goals HEALTHILY then it's not really an option to sit idly while people starve themselves. I've been there, done that..I've also "barrage[d] people with different approaches" and every time they listen they thank me for having done so. So, I'll continue caring and NOT leaving people be.
    It's not an option? Really? You don't think it's an option to allow people to make their own decisions about their own bodies because you think you know better?

What if you are wrong and I am right? I suspect that is not a possibility with you at all.

I know me best. Better than you. That is my business. Seriously, I don't understand why you feel it's your job to instruct people how to live their lives. What else do you try to control about other people? Step back and think about that for a while.

Unsolicited advice will almost always make people hostile toward you.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Katieloula
    Options

Why people care so much to constantly barrage people with different approaches that their is the 'wrong' one. Why not just leave people be?

Because when you're in a community and you're invested in helping people reach their goals HEALTHILY then it's not really an option to sit idly while people starve themselves. I've been there, done that..I've also "barrage[d] people with different approaches" and every time they listen they thank me for having done so. So, I'll continue caring and NOT leaving people be.

You do you, but when you say it to an individual once, like you have on here, and it's obvious they don't agree with you and won't, there's no point in carrying on the argument.

Personally, you have been PRETTY fair in what you've said and not overly patronising. But so many people on these types of threads these days are just nasty and sarcastic from the get-go, not willing to listen or understand that different people require different things.
  • cindygretz
    Options

As I stated before, when advice is asked for give it. Threads like this point fingers and say "You should do it this way" and that makes me and others want to point back and say "Who the *** are you to tell me what I should do?"

Who are you to tell me your way is better than the way my medical professional tells me? You don't know me or my body.

The emotion tied to my 1200 calories + cycle days has nothing to do with my 1200 calories, it has to do with the jerks who message me telling me I'm doing it wrong.

Who are you to judge that my methods are unhealthy? My doctor doesn't seem to think so.

My methods seem perfectly effective to me, I've lost 12lbs in 30 days, 15 if you count the three I lost before joining this site.

Advice is best given when asked for, The OP asked if I thought my 1200 calories was still a good idea... Well yes, I do still think it's a good idea, and your accusations of it being unhealthy, ineffective and unsustainable have nothing to do with knowing me or anyone elses individual situation.

The best advice someone could give when people ask is to see their doctor, RD or nutritionist because the crap that gets generated over this 1200 calorie thing is just wayyyy over the top.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    As I stated before, when advice is asked for give it. Threads like this point fingers and say "You should do it this way" and that makes me and others want to point back and say "Who the *** are you to tell me what I should do?"

Who are you to tell me your way is better than the way my medical professional tells me? You don't know me or my body.

The emotion tied to my 1200 calories + cycle days has nothing to do with my 1200 calories, it has to do with the jerks who message me telling me I'm doing it wrong.

I don't look at people's diaries, nor do I have an open diary because I feel pretty strongly about not giving criticism on people's diaries and not soliciting it for my own. There are so many people with so many weird *kitten* food fetishes in this forum, be it eat more 2 lose weight, eating clean, eating raw, eating organic.... blah blah blah that I'd just rather ditch the whole lot of them!

But, honestly? I have lost a giant amount of weight and didn't do it on 1200 a day... but I'm also 5'6.5'' tall. So that would be a pretty low number for someone my height and activity level. But some days if I am feeling poorly, eating a little low won't hurt ya.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've done both eating under 1200 and significantly more than 1200, and lost weight both ways.

However, under 1200, weight loss was painfully slow... so much so that I thought there was something really wrong with me. And it was demoralizing. By the math, I should have been losing 2 pounds a week, and in reality, it was a half pound every other weak. I was tired, cranky, and by the time I got to my goal weight, I was still dissatisfied with my body. Still had muffin top, back fat, huge thighs, etc. More demoralization. It got to the point where I (mistakenly) believed that in order to get thinner, I'd have to cut my calories even MORE, and I just couldn't do it. I honestly decided I'd rather be overweight and eat what I want than skinny and hungry. So I put the weight back on.

Over 1200 (typically 1350-1700 plus exercise calories, or up to 2200+ total), the weight came off as predicted, I was completely satisfied with everything I ate. Still able to fit in pizza at least once a week. Cheeseburgers. Bagels for breakfast almost daily. Pasta, garlic bread, potatoes. Ice cream. Chocolate milk at bedtime every night. And way more than satisfied with the way my body looked and felt. The stereotypical "I'm 40 and in the best shape of my life" infomercial cheese. :)

And I've been maintaining close to two years.

Wow. I really needed to read this. I only joined MFP a couple weeks ago and have been following the 1200 debate closely. This past week, I just upped my calories from 1250 to 1495 but must admit, I still physchologically struggle with it. The other thing I was not clear on was whether the recommendation to increase your calories ALSO included eating back some or all of your exercise on top of the jumped up eating goal. So, it is nice to read your story and get things a little clearer. Thanks.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    *bump* .... up the calories!
  • cindygretz
    Options

I don't look at people's diaries, nor do I have an open diary because I feel pretty strongly about not giving criticism on people's diaries and not soliciting it for my own. There are so many people with so many weird *kitten* food fetishes in this forum, be it eat more 2 lose weight, eating clean, eating raw, eating organic.... blah blah blah that I'd just rather ditch the whole lot of them!

But, honestly? I have lost a giant amount of weight and didn't do it on 1200 a day... but I'm also 5'6.5'' tall. So that would be a pretty low number for someone my height and activity level. But some days if I am feeling poorly, eating a little low won't hurt ya.

I'm also 5'6"... I suppose my activity level is also pretty high since I'm on my feet and constantly walking at least 9 hours a day, that would be how I lost the first 60 lbs or so without changing my diet. I'm just doing what my doctor has told me and I get asked why I would trust a doctor with my weightloss.,. really?!

Congrats on your weight loss, I'm glad your way worked for you :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it:

If 1200 is working for you, if it's easy for you... great! Keep at it!

But if you're one of the people who started those threads Taso linked to, if you're someone like me who was struggling on low calories, if you're tired, cold, grumpy, hungry, losing hair, losing sleep, etc. on 1200, if you blindly selected 2 pounds a week because you want this weight GONE as soon as possible... know there is another way.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    wowwwww good reading....
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I've done both eating under 1200 and significantly more than 1200, and lost weight both ways.

However, under 1200, weight loss was painfully slow... so much so that I thought there was something really wrong with me. And it was demoralizing. By the math, I should have been losing 2 pounds a week, and in reality, it was a half pound every other weak. I was tired, cranky, and by the time I got to my goal weight, I was still dissatisfied with my body. Still had muffin top, back fat, huge thighs, etc. More demoralization. It got to the point where I (mistakenly) believed that in order to get thinner, I'd have to cut my calories even MORE, and I just couldn't do it. I honestly decided I'd rather be overweight and eat what I want than skinny and hungry. So I put the weight back on.

Over 1200 (typically 1350-1700 plus exercise calories, or up to 2200+ total), the weight came off as predicted, I was completely satisfied with everything I ate. Still able to fit in pizza at least once a week. Cheeseburgers. Bagels for breakfast almost daily. Pasta, garlic bread, potatoes. Ice cream. Chocolate milk at bedtime every night. And way more than satisfied with the way my body looked and felt. The stereotypical "I'm 40 and in the best shape of my life" infomercial cheese. :)

And I've been maintaining close to two years.

I'm glad your way worked for you :) Thank you for posting your experience without judging whether it should work for me or not.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    Here's how I look at it:

If 1200 is working for you, if it's easy for you... great! Keep at it!

But if you're one of the people who started those threads Taso linked to, if you're someone like me who was struggling on low calories, if you're tired, cold, grumpy, hungry, losing hair, losing sleep, etc. on 1200, if you blindly selected 2 pounds a week because you want this weight GONE as soon as possible... know there is another way.

Thanks! It's working and I'm happy doing it. If more posts were like this, and in threads soliciting advice then there wouldn't be a problem IMO.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    THANKS! Now I'm definitely going to eat more. That's always worked GREAT for me in the past.

Please, 30 YO men, tell me again how much I should be eating!
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    Great Community Service Taso! BUMP!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great Community Service Taso! BUMP!

Another 25 YO man heard from. Why do you young guys care so much what other types of humans (older, smaller, female) are eating? Mind your own g-d business.
  • Katieloula
    Options
    THANKS! Now I'm definitely going to eat more. That's always worked GREAT for me in the past.

Please, 30 YO men, tell me again how much I should be eating!

LOL :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yay for food!

I like food :smile:
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! Thank you!