Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't understand why doctors are giving weight loss advice? A general practitioner is not a nutritionist or fitness professional...

Maybe it's just in the UK where they don't do that? My doctor told me I was overweight and to move more and eat a bit less. He said if I had any further questions or problems they could arrange for me to MEET with a nutritionist and that there is a scheme to get patients in touch with personal trainers to help them lose weight in a healthy manner.

If my doctor told me to eat 1200 calories, I'd tell him to jog on. I've not eaten under 1600 for a LONG time, I'm on about 2200 a day now.

My thoughts exactly!
    Options
    This is subjective, 1200 calories may work for some people but not for others. I am pretty sure genetics, gender, race, lifestyle (ie a brickie may use more calories during the day than an office worker) overall health etc would determine the calories needed for an individual persons weight loss.

My bf is white Australian male, 6"2 and very healthy and is naturally athletic. He can consume twice the amount of calories I could, and still loose weight (if he wanted to.)

I am 5"4 female Asian and obviously dont eat the same portion sizes as him, and therefore consume less calories.

Apologies for being captain obvious, but I am pretty sure this is just common sense. And if people are relying on a tool such as MFP to increase/accelerate weight loss, then perhaps more constructive advice for them would be to see a GP/nutrionist/personal trainer etc for specific advice and dont rely on internet forums.

True to the extent that calorie needs vary but FOR MOST PEOPLE 1200 calories is just NOT NECESSARY. That's the point of OPs thread. I'm 4'11 and would never EMBARK on a weight loss goal with the approach of eating 1200 calories, NEVER! Not sure how race matters to any considerable degree.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I don't understand why doctors are giving weight loss advice? A general practitioner is not a nutritionist or fitness professional...

Maybe it's just in the UK where they don't do that? My doctor told me I was overweight and to move more and eat a bit less. He said if I had any further questions or problems they could arrange for me to MEET with a nutritionist and that there is a scheme to get patients in touch with personal trainers to help them lose weight in a healthy manner.

If my doctor told me to eat 1200 calories, I'd tell him to jog on. I've not eaten under 1600 for a LONG time, I'm on about 2200 a day now.

My doctor took down all my info, including measurements and a couple pictures, and consulted a nutritionist then emailed me a diet plan. I see her again Monday for blood work and update my progress. I'm sure she'll be in touch with the nutritionist if she sees something she doesn't like.

I don't know why I'd trust anyone but my doctor or someone my doctor consulted with to give me health advice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eat the diet my doctor gave me (1200 calorie exchange cycling higher on weekends) or listen to folks on the interweb who've never met me, have no idea my medical history, and seem to enjoy attacking people for their choices...

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the docs advice... thanks though!

Surely you would agree that a medically supervised 1200 cal/day diet for someone with a medical issue, is not the same as people on the internet advising others that 1200 cals/day is safe for everyone, without any medical supervision, or any knowledge of whether that number of calories is right for that individual?

It's about advising people that for the vast majority, 1200 calories a day is too low, and that they can succeed at weight loss by eating considerably more than that, and also suffer less in the process and have an easier time maintaining their goal weight. Most people who go on diets cut their calories too low, and get all kinds of problems from it, to the extent that many people don't realise you can even go on a diet and not have those problems. Threads like this are just about educating people that you CAN eat more than 1200 cals/day and lose weight, except for a very tiny minority of people. How is that attacking anyone?
    Options

My doctor took down all my info, including measurements and a couple pictures, and consulted a nutritionist then emailed me a diet plan. I see her again Monday for blood work and update my progress. I'm sure she'll be in touch with the nutritionist if she sees something she doesn't like.

I don't know why I'd trust anyone but my doctor or someone my doctor consulted with to give me health advice.

Because you have nothing to lose by eating more and trying something that is actually sustainable. 1200 calorie diets for most people wind up with either binging behavior, eating disorders, or calling it quits. Yeah, you might THINK you can do it, it's not so hard, etc. but eventually it sucks eating so little and when you do eat more you will likely gain weight back. This is just reality of what happens for MOST PEOPLE...you could, in fact, be one of the lucky few who keep it off but why not TRY to see if you are able to make progress on more?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    1200 90% of the time is fine for me. im a vegetarian so i eat lots of fruit and veg which keeps me satiated.

im sorry you have to eat lots to lose weight but care to get over the fact that it works for some people if you do it right? :flowerforyou: ttfn
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    1200 90% of the time is fine for me. im a vegetarian so i eat lots of fruit and veg which keeps me satiated.

im sorry you have to eat lots to lose weight but care to get over the fact that it works for some people if you do it right? :flowerforyou: ttfn

Why are you sorry that other people get to eat lots of calories? I don't get it. I also don't get what's desirable about only eating 1200 calories a day "if I do it right", when I can eat 1850 calories a day. If I do what right? If I eat just right I'll be able to survive on 1200 cals/day without any bad health effects? Why would I want to when i don't have to?

Sorry, I'm confused.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I love you, man!! :love:
  • babydiego87
    Options

Why are you sorry that other people get to eat lots of calories? I don't get it. I also don't get what's desirable about only eating 1200 calories a day "if I do it right", when I can eat 1850 calories a day. If I do what right? If I eat just right I'll be able to survive on 1200 cals/day without any bad health effects? Why would I want to when i don't have to?

Sorry, I'm confused.
    I'm not sure why you're confused that 1200 calories NET is enough to satisfy people. OK it doesn't satisfy you...but that's you, and I'm sorry I don't care what you put into your body and what you have found works for you.

1200 works for me because I eat good food and chose wisely. I'm still functioning, I'm still healthy. Now give me my special snowflake cookie.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Your body is your body, you shouldn't be following ANYONE'S advice blindly, even a doctors! For me at least, it's important I educate myself on how all this works, how to eat and how to exercise and take control of your own body is incredibly empowering. I will NEVER be that size again, because I educated myself on how to take care of myself. I read studies, I looked at these forums, I searched for information to back up claims I read... I understand the desire to hand over to someone who knows more and has a doctorate, but you know what? When I look at some of the amazing bodies and amazing transformations I have seen on these forums, I have to at least LOOK INTO what they've done to get there!

Many people on this forum are living, breathing proof that amazing things can be done. I have amazing friends on my friends list that have lost 60, 80, 100, even 150lbs by learning how to take control, and I can tell you straight, not ONE of them did it on 1200 calories a day.

Just because someone is a "stranger on the internet" doesn't make them *wrong*. Maybe you could befriend a few of them and they won't be strangers any more?
  • cindygretz
    Options

Because you have nothing to lose by eating more and trying something that is actually sustainable. 1200 calorie diets for most people wind up with either binging behavior, eating disorders, or calling it quits. Yeah, you might THINK you can do it, it's not so hard, etc. but eventually it sucks eating so little and when you do eat more you will likely gain weight back. This is just reality of what happens for MOST PEOPLE...you could, in fact, be one of the lucky few who keep it off but why not TRY to see if you are able to make progress on more?

I don't know why anyone would embark on a major change in their body without consulting their doctor. As a matter of fact I believe just about everything I've read about dieting and exercise advises people to consult their doctor before starting. What I'm doing is, so far, sustainable for me. I feel full and satisfied after meals and have snacks between.

My doctor knows my medical history, she knows what the full hormone panels I have run every 6 months say. She knows to what extent my thyroid is under producing, she knows what effect other medical issues and surgeries have on my body, she knows my emotional history, and she knows me personally.

Why not try and see if I can make progress on more? Because the one person one earth who knows my body better than I do will tell me when and if I should do that. When she does, I will.
  • Sarahneedstoshrink
    Options
    bump
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Sorry, I'm confused.
    I'm not sure why you're confused that 1200 calories NET is enough to satisfy people. OK it doesn't satisfy you...but that's you, and I'm sorry I don't care what you put into your body and what you have found works for you.

1200 works for me because I eat good food and chose wisely. I'm still functioning, I'm still healthy. Now give me my special snowflake cookie.

why would anyone only eat (or net) 1200 cals a day when they could eat more and get the same (or even better) results? (which is true for the vast majority of people)

Why are you sorry that I'm not satisfied on 1200 cals/day? I'm not satisfied on 1500 cals/day, incidentally. Why do you see that as something you have to feel sorry for me about?
  • babydiego87
    Options

Sorry, I'm confused.

why would anyone only eat (or net) 1200 cals a day when they could eat more and get the same (or even better) results? (which is true for the vast majority of people)

Why are you sorry that I'm not satisfied on 1200 cals/day? I'm not satisfied on 1500 cals/day, incidentally. Why do you see that as something you have to feel sorry for me about?
    ok you seem to have an issue with the fact that some people don't want to gorge themselves. i notice your diary isn't open...any reason for that? just what exactly do you eat to get your target?

im feeling pity because it's insane that actually care this much about what other people are doing.

i'm 5'3" with not a lot to lose, how the hell are you going to tell me that forcing myself to eat crap is going to help me? the reason why i have to lose these 20lbs in the first place is because i didnt know portion control or ate chocolate instead of a piece of fruit. i make 1200 with ease because i eat right and im not hungry at the end of the day.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

You missed the point. We all could eat at 1200 calories and lose weight. The problem is, what are you losing? Lots of LBM for sure. The other missed point - what kind of body do you want when you're at goal? If you just want a "smaller version of the you today" and don't care about your health, the stress you've put on your body during starvation, or the lack of muscle? Go for it.

As someone just said: Eat more and lift weights. Easy.
  • babydiego87
    Options

and don't care about your health, the stress you've put on your body during starvation, or the lack of muscle?
    RME! My health is absolutely fine. When I was eating crap, my health was fine. So I'm pretty sure eating better and less crap is not going to adversely affect me either.

Generalisations <<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that some of us are eating under 1200 calories per day under the supervision of a doctor. I am and making very good progress.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    Keep in mind that some of us are eating under 1200 calories per day under the supervision of a doctor. I am and making very good progress.
    eff your doctor! what does he know?!

these people have a degree in MFP, you better abandon whats working for you and let these people dictate what you eat!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

and don't care about your health, the stress you've put on your body during starvation, or the lack of muscle?
    RME! My health is absolutely fine. When I was eating crap, my health was fine. So I'm pretty sure eating better and less crap is not going to adversely affect me either.

Generalisations <<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm sure with only about 18 pounds to lose, you can do anything short term. A lot of people on MFP have more than that to lose. Frankly, I don't want to eat just 1200 calories for the rest of my life. I want to eat a normal diet for a person my age and activity level. Ultimately, you're an adult and can choose your path. I started out in my 30s dieting with very low calories. I lost a lot of 20 - 30 pounds over the years. It kept coming back and bringing friends. I've been at this for a year (a record for me) and know that it is working. Go, do your thing. I'll do mine. No worries. :wink:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Let's get this straight: for SOME OF US, this is NOT under-eating! Small women who do not have the LUXURY of being able to spend HOURS and HOURS working out, cannot eat more than 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day and expect to lose weight! Now - just mind your own business and we will mind OURS! DANG!