Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Is there a doctor in the house? Is there a nutritionist in the house? No? Neither? Then shutup! Most of you (like me) are here because you are fat or used to be fat. You are not expert. You are an expert of you. The tone of this thread from the start does not come off as helpful or useful, unless you're a friend/fan of the OP and enjoy knocking down others who are trying - maybe they're not trying your way or the right way but they are trying.

However, kudos to the OP for stirring the pot and bringing out the real crazy, snarky, know- it-alls,,,,,Funny, because he really didn't say anything negative and actually shared some good info but presentation is everything....for that you FAIL....
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yay for food!

I like food :smile:

You have a lot of company here!
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I've actually been doing quite well with this calorie amount. I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week! It really depends on the individual. I'm not sure why you care how many calories other people eat to be successful at weight loss?

yep. that's normal. eventually the loss will plateau.
    And then what? You change your calories to an increase . . .correct? I am at 1200 now, but when I platue, I need to eat more food . . .is that right?

Well, that's your only real option unless you want to eat 1000 calories or exercise more or just be stuck. That's why eating more in the first place works out so well--then you could simply decrease your calories by 125-250 and start losing again.
    No, no, disagree with you. YOu eat less and then to break a plateau you eat more. This is per Jillian Michael's and then you go back to as you were with the less. I see she knows what she is talking about. I was only asking Coach, I trust very few ppl on here to know what they are talking about. He is about one of four that I trust. So I am going to wait for his response.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    oh, speaking of bikini girls on 1200 cals.

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

She is a 52 year old incredibly lean woman who is also about 100lb (if I recall correctly)....context.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Is there a doctor in the house? Is there a nutritionist in the house? No? Neither? Then shutup! Most of you (like me) are here because you are fat or used to be fat. You are not expert. You are an expert of you. The tone of this thread from the start does not come off as helpful or useful, unless you're a friend/fan of the OP and enjoy knocking down others who are trying - maybe they're not trying your way or the right way but they are trying.

However, kudos to the OP for stirring the pot and bringing out the real crazy, snarky, know- it-alls,,,,,Funny, because he really didn't say anything negative and actually shared some good info but presentation is everything....for that you FAIL....
    AMEN!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing quite well with this calorie amount. I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week! It really depends on the individual. I'm not sure why you care how many calories other people eat to be successful at weight loss?

When does that happen exactly?
  • Sunny____
    Options

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

She is a 52 year old incredibly lean woman....context.
    She eats 1200 calories a day. Doesn't this prove it CAN work? The lady is 52 so not a young one with a high metabolism due to young age. I think this is a good example. BTW, she is beautiful. Kudos to her.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

and I don't mean to point out the obvious....

What was her intake to get that rockin' bod?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

And then what? You change your calories to an increase . . .correct? I am at 1200 now, but when I platue, I need to eat more food . . .is that right?

Well, that's your only real option unless you want to eat 1000 calories or exercise more or just be stuck. That's why eating more in the first place works out so well--then you could simply decrease your calories by 125-250 and start losing again.
    No, no, disagree with you. YOu eat less and then to break a plateau you eat more. This is per Jillian Michael's and then you go back to as you were with the less. I see she knows what she is talking about. I was only asking Coach, I trust very few ppl on here to know what they are talking about. He is about one of four that I trust. So I am going to wait for his response.

OK! I guess. Ultimately you're going to have to decrease them again--you said do you increase them to break a plateau. Temporary, diet-breaks as they are called, are definitely one approach to breaking a plateau but the diet break itself isn't going to cause weight loss. You then have to reduce your calories again. You can't just eat your way out of a plateau.
  • Sunny____
    Options

What was her intake?
    Someone only posted her link, pics and diary which is open to show she eats 1200 a day. It can work!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

She eats 1200 calories a day. Doesn't this prove it CAN work? The lady is 52 so not a young one with a high metabolism due to young age. I think this is a good example. BTW, she is beautiful. Kudos to her.

I believe she is maintaining now and eats more than that...but you would have to ask he. Maybe you should send a FR.
    Options

Of course it CAN work. But at what cost? You'll lose weight at 1200 calories, did anyone dispute that?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Oh, do we need to hold doctorate degrees now to able to grok simple concepts? Have you ever balanced a checkbook? How did you do that without a PhD in mathematics? Ever changed your own motor oil... without going to a vocational school to become a certified automotive technician?

I'm not sure you're in a position to call other people failures.
  • Sunny____
    Options

OK! I guess. Ultimately you're going to have to decrease them again--you said do you increase them to break a plateau. Temporary, diet-breaks as they are called, are definitely one approach to breaking a plateau but the diet break itself isn't going to cause weight loss. You then have to reduce your calories again. You can't just eat your way out of a plateau.
    Yes, thanks! That is what I thought. Thanks for answering :)
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5'4" female here. Started at 175, lost 50 pounds on 1200 diet. Was never able to lose weight on a higher calorie diet (believe me I tried). Bottom line: some people need to eat less calories to lose weight. So sick of the broad generalization that people eating 1200 are undereating and would be just as successful eating more. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What was her intake to get that rockin' bod?

I believe that she said it was 1,200, She is also only about 100lb from what I recall.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Oh, do we need to hold doctorate degrees now to able to grok simple concepts? Have you ever balanced a checkbook? How did you do that without a PhD in mathematics? Ever changed your own motor oil... without going to a vocational school to become a certified automotive technician?

Explain the link a few posts up about the 52 yr old California bikini girl who eats 1200 a day with the best body I have seen on MFP then OP?
  • Sunny____
    Options
    5'4" female here. Started at 175, lost 50 pounds on 1200 diet. Was never able to lose weight on a higher calorie diet (believe me I tried). Bottom line: some people need to eat less calories to lose weight. So sick of the broad generalization that people eating 1200 are undereating and would be just as successful eating more. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME.
    Amen!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

It's douche-y post from the start.....
    Options

At 24 and 175 pounds you'd have to have some SERIOUS hormonal issues or other condition to have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. Plain and simple. I'd go to the doctor and get that checked, otherwise just chalk it up to inaccuracies in counting your calorie intake.