Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    dear lord. it rolled? :laugh:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    bravo! :drinker:

x2.

Anyway, I've done my work here. Off to spread the word about the girl who's less than 5'0 tall and eating more than some men...while dropping bodyfat! Cheers.Oops that might be perceived as "douche-y" ..my apologies.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

roomba.gif
  • TeresaJTuck
    TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You should try the "Fun-Size" Candy Bars instead. They only have 90 Calories each.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Nor did I say it was. I said that for someone in their reproductive years they CANNOT aspire to that without severe consequences--sure you can cause thyroid dysfunction, adrenal fatigue, and any other issues you find worth it but TO ME health is much more important than looking "like the best female on MFP."

I have hypo, and it actually improves with weight loss, and gets worse with weight gain. I'm not aware of anything related to low calories that exacerbates it. But I know eating too much will!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to catch up on this epic thread that I totally missed yesterday.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You should try the "Fun-Size" Candy Bars instead. They only have 90 Calories each.

[/thread]

:wink:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Yah, I could have done but then I'd have been even more below calorie goal for the day than I currently am.

I don't 'do' chocolate often...but when I do then I go for the 'balls out' approach *grin*
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?

can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

roomba.gif

Awesome :drinker:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?

It works for me, and gives me enough good food to eat, plus snacks. I am 61, not terribly overweight, not very active, and female. This is the amt. I need to eat in order to lose weight. I HAVE eaten more-- that's why I have a weight issue! So, is this OK with you?
  • taso42
    Options

Did you peruse the threads that I linked in the OP? Was 1200 right for those people? Is 1200 right for MOST people? No. Yet a very disproportionate number of people shoot for 1200 gross calories and fail. And they post threads like what I linked in OP, frustrated and begging for help.

In an effort to dissuade MOST people from following that same path to failure, I made this post.

And I also provided a link to a handy thread for working out one's calorie targets.

I'm not an expert. I'm a moderately smart person who is trying to present a very simple concept to people who, for whatever reason, are very resistant to optimize their health and fitness.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    For those who mentioned CaliforniaGirl2012. She defends people's rights to eat at a calorie deficit that is appropriate for them. Because she is older and very short, she DID have to eat at a lower calorie level to lose her weight.
    The reason you no longer see her on here, is that some people were tired of her sharing her success story on here and admitting that she ate at 1200, and constantly reported her for spamming and for advocating unhealthy diet practices. She eventually 'struck out' and is permanently banned from posting on the open forums.

Too bad. Since she was the main reason that I stuck it out on here after the first couple of weeks. I kept having people say that I was wrong to eat at 1200, but I knew that I couldn't lose weight eating at the levels they said I should be. So finding Bobbi's story showed me that for some people, we do need to eat at a lower level, and that it can be done in a safe and healthy manner. She has inspired so many people on here, and she is now maxed out on her FL with a waiting list that has hundreds more.

Unfortunately, the loudest and most opinionated posters on here, seem to set the environment, and gang up on those who disagree with them, to get them banned.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    If I am at work and feel I NEED some chocolate, I go for a 3 Musketeers. Not too terrible. I otherwise bring to work (every day): 2 naval oranges, a banana or two, and an apple, and of course my water jug. Started on MFP with the "standard" 1200 calorie plan and I was SO hungry. I had to customize it to what I actually needed and adjust from there. I do 1700 cals a day, and if I exercise (which is usually 6-7 days a week), I burn 350-400, so then I eat back about half of those. :)
  • taso42
    Options
    Can we spend the remaining 20 pages on this thread talking about chocolate bars and ice cream? :smile:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Did you peruse the threads that I linked in the OP? Was 1200 right for those people? Is 1200 right for MOST people? No. Yet a very disproportionate number of people shoot for 1200 gross calories and fail. And they post threads like what I linked in OP, frustrated and begging for help.

In an effort to dissuade MOST people from following that same path to failure, I made this post.

And I also provided a link to a handy thread for working out one's calorie targets.

I'm not an expert. I'm a moderately smart person who is trying to present a very simple concept to people who, for whatever reason, are very resistant to optimize their health and fitness.

If 1200 calories is working for me in terms of consistent healthy weight loss, maintenance of LBM, steady, healthy blood work, enough energy for the activities of the day, a feeling of satiety when I eat, and hitting all my macros, then how am I not optimizing my health and fitness?

IMO, I am. I don't go around telling people they should all be eating 1200 calories but I'm sure thriving on it.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?

I didn't. I measured how many calories I need in a day to sustain my LEAN body mass ONLY... and that is 1286. Therefore, I eat 1286 calories per day. If I exercise, I eat more, but I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, because that would negate all the work I'd just done.

I lose on average 1-2lbs per week, which is good for me. If I lose more than that, I tend to get dizzy spells.

By the way... when I first started on MFP & was ON the 1200/day calorie diet, I DID have dizzy spells. Regularly. I would get the shakes, & white spots in front of my vision.

1200 calories a day is NOT for everyone. It depends on what your body wants.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    For those who mentioned CaliforniaGirl2012, ... people were tired of her spamming her success story on here

fixed that for you.

I reported her for copying and pasting the same post on EVERY thread that asked about calories regardless the question. Half the time it wasn't even relevent. Nice that it works for you - but not everyone and that was the point of the orginal post.

I came on here did 1200 was miserable, upped to 1500 started to lose and was much much happier. I am 5'2 (just) 33 and female just so ya know. Why eat 1200 if you don't have to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can we spend the remaining 20 pages on this thread talking about chocolate bars and ice cream? :smile:

*looks down at ticker* fine with me :wink: