Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Believe me. I have tried a variety of different approaches. This was but one approach. It won't be my last.

Kind of reminds me of the saying how "well behaved women never make history." Except you're... uh... not a woman. As some members love pointing out. :laugh:

100% guaranteed not to offend anyone, ever, forum posts never make it past one page.

Posts like this might ruffle some feathers, but it might be the break-through someone struggling needs. I wish I was part of this forum 6 years ago when I was eating under 1000 and not knowing what I was doing wrong.

I wasn't talking about being nice and not hurting feelings. I was talking about clarity.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Can we spend the remaining 20 pages on this thread talking about chocolate bars and ice cream? :smile:
    would I be ostrasized if I were to admit I am not a fan of ice cream? I love chocolate though!
    good, dark, solid chocolate...MMMMM

Trader Joe has the most delicious drk choc/sea salt covered almonds!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it was unclear to you. Your complete satisfaction is important to us. We are issuing you a refund for this month's subscription.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Ooo I've not heard of Trader Joe', but over this side of the pond we have a chocolate company called Montezuma that do a bloody lush dark chocolate with sea salt.

Chocolate and salt works so well it's almost criminal
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?

can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?

It works for me, and gives me enough good food to eat, plus snacks. I am 61, not terribly overweight, not very active, and female. This is the amt. I need to eat in order to lose weight. I HAVE eaten more-- that's why I have a weight issue! So, is this OK with you?

i meant - how did you come to choose it in the first place? before you knew if it worked?

Trial and error.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I'm not an expert. I'm a moderately smart person who is trying to present a very simple concept to people who, for whatever reason, are very resistant to optimize their health and fitness.

Have you considered for any length of time maybe trying to be a little bit clearer about what you are trying to say in the future?

It is a very simple concept and could easily have been stated clearly and simply instead of a rhetorical title followed by links.

The latter is pretty open to interpretation.

You've got 150 posts here. I've got nearly 8500.

Believe me. I have tried a variety of different approaches. This was but one approach. It won't be my last.

I've helped lots of people on this site find their way and I continue to do so. It almost makes it worth it in the face of being called a judgmental *kitten*, etc.

Taso, you totally help people on here. You helped me! I think it was about a year ago when I found you, I had a technical problem with the MFP site and you responded to my forum post and solved my issue! So I friended you right away, and I'm glad I did. You're an awesome buddy on here and I always look forward to your advice/posts. thanks and cheers!
    Keep on fightin the good fight.

and ps. NO, ladies you will NOT get bulky. LOL
    ...and I love ben and jerry's coffee heath bar ice cream.... :P
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

I apologize if you've already answered this because I haven't read the thread in its entirety. But I am curious what you think the minimum safe number of calories is for a person to eat?

There was a super morbidly obese man who fasted for a year under doctor supervision without encountering any medical problems.

The answer to your question is, I do not know.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?

It works for me, and gives me enough good food to eat, plus snacks. I am 61, not terribly overweight, not very active, and female. This is the amt. I need to eat in order to lose weight. I HAVE eaten more-- that's why I have a weight issue! So, is this OK with you?

He only asked a question, you seem to have one hell of an attitude problem.

Personal attack much?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

i meant - how did you come to choose it in the first place? before you knew if it worked?

Trial and error.

can you be ANY more specific?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    For those who mentioned CaliforniaGirl2012. She defends people's rights to eat at a calorie deficit that is appropriate for them. Because she is older and very short, she DID have to eat at a lower calorie level to lose her weight.
    The reason you no longer see her on here, is that some people were tired of her sharing her success story on here and admitting that she ate at 1200, and constantly reported her for spamming and for advocating unhealthy diet practices. She eventually 'struck out' and is permanently banned from posting on the open forums.

Too bad. Since she was the main reason that I stuck it out on here after the first couple of weeks. I kept having people say that I was wrong to eat at 1200, but I knew that I couldn't lose weight eating at the levels they said I should be. So finding Bobbi's story showed me that for some people, we do need to eat at a lower level, and that it can be done in a safe and healthy manner. She has inspired so many people on here, and she is now maxed out on her FL with a waiting list that has hundreds more.

Unfortunately, the loudest and most opinionated posters on here, seem to set the environment, and gang up on those who disagree with them, to get them banned.

this is now twice i've seen you go rushing into 1200 calorie threads where the OP is trying to help people and start attacking the OP just because you don't agree with the factual information presented, yet you yourself have started a pro-1200 thread (aka pro-starvation thread) where you demanded that nobody derail the thread because you only want to hear success stories and do not want to debate. that makes you hypocritical in my book.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    So I know I already asked, but in the spirit of having an actual conversation and not just an anti-taso flame war...

can any other 1200-ers tell me how they came to choose that number in the first place? I'm just curious why people choose it.

I did not choose that number. I eat as little as I can comfortably eat. If I feel like I need more, I eat more. If I don't feel like eating, I don't eat. My intake varies pretty wildly. This week I've had a 700 day and a 1600 day. It tends to average between 1100 and 1200.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I first joined my calorie goal was 1200 (for all of about a month) it was because I set myself to sedentary and selected 2 pounds a week., without doing any research as to what my actual caloric or nutritional needs should be.

I did, thankfully, realize that I was supposed to eat my exercise calories. Which was pretty easy to figure out, seeings how MFP always added them to my daily goal and all.

But when the only time I lost two pounds in a week was when I had the stomach flu, I realized that maybe if I'm only going to lose a pound a week, I should just SET the calories to a pound a week. And while I'm at it, rather than logging every time I walk the dog or run the sweeper as "exercise," I should just bump myself up to lightly active and only record actual exercise as exercise. And the first few weeks I did that, I lost 1.5 pounds a week instead of the predicted one pound.

After that, I was a convert.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    So I know I already asked, but in the spirit of having an actual conversation and not just an anti-taso flame war...

can any other 1200-ers tell me how they came to choose that number in the first place? I'm just curious why people choose it.

I did not choose that number. I eat as little as I can comfortably eat. If I feel like I need more, I eat more. If I don't feel like eating, I don't eat. My intake varies pretty wildly. This week I've had a 700 day and a 1600 day. It tends to average between 1100 and 1200.
    do you mind if I ask why?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Ooo I've not heard of Trader Joe', but over this side of the pond we have a chocolate company called Montezuma that do a bloody lush dark chocolate with sea salt.

So True!
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    obviously many of us have not been educated or practiced in caloric needs when we first come onto a site like this...1200 for me was a starting place... my plan all along was that it may need altering as I go....So that's why ... just a place to start.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I apologize if you've already answered this because I haven't read the thread in its entirety. But I am curious what you think the minimum safe number of calories is for a person to eat?

There was a super morbidly obese man who fasted for a year under doctor supervision without encountering any medical problems.

The answer to your question is, I do not know.

That's fair. So would you say that you would never feel comfortable telling someone that their calorie intake is too little?
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    Sorry if it was unclear to you. Your complete satisfaction is important to us. We are issuing you a refund for this month's subscription.

I wasn't trying to attack you. I am wont to be unclear and cause confusion, myself. I was just asking you to recognize your role in the confusion inside of the thread you created. Just to be fair to those who got upset. I do not think you are a *kitten*. Seriously.

I don't know if you watch Lockedup Abroad but there was a guy who was tortured in a Mexican prison because he said, "Do something with it" instead of "Get rid of it."

Clarity can be pretty important. :happy:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Yep, I stocked up when in London last, got the lime and sea salt(seadog) and the orange and geranium. Also tried Eton Mess, lol. Really interesting flavours.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    obviously many of us have not been educated or practiced in caloric needs when we first come onto a site like this...1200 for me was a starting place... my plan all along was that it may need altering as I go....So that's why ... just a place to start.

so then why not give a some thought to advice from people who have quite a bit of experience in this area?
  • GrammyVillines
    GrammyVillines Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories is what this and all other diet programs tell me is appropriate for someone Who is a Female 4' 10' tall with a small body frame. I have tried losing eating more, but I do not lose weight. Maybe, it will not be appropriate for taller or bigger people but there is not a diet plan out there that tells me I can eat more. Been on this plan for 18 months and have lost 92 pounds. It is sustainable and can be healthy.