Enquires on sugar intake daily

Options
13»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you can tone down on the "bad sugars" then dont worry about the nubers on the sugar side of things as over here(uk) it records skimmed milk for instance as high sugar! :sad: and fruit too and i have tons of both so ignor it! (as long as its good it's good)! :wink:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.

Yes, this is true.

I overcome my diabetes and now am totally off medication, and I did it just with diet, and I NEVER looked at my sugars once. I have no idea how much it averages. LOL

Sugars are a subset of carbs. If you stay under your MFP carbs, you have no reason to every look at sugar.

Carbs are important because they affect your blood sugar, and if you use carbs the way I do to regulate your blood sugar into a narrow band between 70-110 during the day, it has a powerful affect on your weight loss (fosters all those great hormones to help you release fat). Be sure to get enough carbs, don't undereat your carbs. If you get less that what you need per day your brain will be starved for glucose and you won't have the energy you need for aerobic exercise.

The only sugar you need to worry about it the processed sugar found in processed foods: white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Try to eat as few processed foods as possible. Naturally occuring sugar from milk, grains, honey, fruit etc. are perfectly good for you. But processed foods that are empty carbs/sugar will do bad things to your body and your metabolism.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am fine with everything else usually but the sugar always confused me. I understand that it counts the sugar in everything you eat, but it was confusing me when I would eat kiwi and my sugar would jump. its nice to know that most people go over. I try to watch my amounts but now I am just going to concentrate on my sugars that are not coming from fruits or veggies. Thank you for this.

MamaC77: No need to concentrate on sugars. Take the advice of several on this thread: Ignore sugars complete. Just stay in your carb limits and you will be fine. :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Someone say SUGAR?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.
    This is incorrect.

There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately. Your carb count is different than your sugar count and should be counted with what works for you and what your goals are. Everyone will have a different carb count. And your personal carb count will vary according to where you are in your weight loss or maintenance journey. I won't go more into this, because your question was about sugars.

There are good sugars and bad sugars. Regardless of where you are in your journey you should ronly have 10g or less of bad sugars a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit or veggie for example) you should eat no more than 100g.

Wrong.. there are no bad carbs.. there are simple and complex. One burns fast and one burns slow. No carb will prevent weight loss unless you have a medical condition, especially when calories in is less than out.

Probably classifying them as simple and complex is incorrect too - this classification is often misused.

In general, if one wishes to reduce refined, lower molecular-weight sugars that are absorbed easily and which seem to be associated with cravings and insulin release ... Well, why not. But it isn't necessary.

Here is a funny thing - low amounts of sugar lead to higher rates of mold in preserves. Avoid diet preserves and jams, they are truly the unhealthy choice.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect.
    no, it isn't.
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately.
    no, you don't.
    There are good sugars and bad sugars. You should reduce your bad sugars to under 10g a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit for example) you should eat no more than 100g.
    no, there aren't. and no, you don't. because, well, no, there aren't.
    solid first post, though.

QFT