skinny friends who eat tons of junk food

Options
13»

Replies

• Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Weirdly, I have never thought about observing my skinny friends to see what they do that's different to me! I'll take notice from now on.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I agree, it will be interesting to see how everyone is doing 10 or 20 years down the line. And it's probably true that a lot of my friends eat very lightly throughout the rest of the day, but at the same time, we are college students and I feel like younger people can usually just eat more, like my roommate who eats high calorie food non stop (I know, I live with her) and she is absolutely tiny. I used to be like that too up until around age 15, so sometimes it feels like my metabolism just caught up to me a lot sooner than theirs did. But at the same time, it's true, I really don't want to be stuffing myself with junk food all day anyway. It's gross and makes me feel sick after a while.

You are 18 years old...your metabolism has not 'caught up with you' yet.

Seriously. We call this turning into a woman--not a matter related to metabolism.
  • boboorange
    Options
    Yes people do have faster metabolisms than others,
    In saying that however it is also true that Some people do infact eat a lot less
    than friends seem to think!

But back to the faster metabolic functioning of some!
    I have a friend who eats twice as much as I do and
    is thin thin thin! An example of her lunch box... One fruit pot ( fruit in sugar syrup)
    A chocolate bar or some sort of candy ( not always a full sized bar but still) a sandwhich ( bout the 300 plus calories type)
    1/4 cup of fruit and nut mix, and some other snacky bits and pieces. And yes this is her Uni lunch box not full day, she has breakfast
    Before Uni (usually cereal or something) then for dinner shell usually eat some type of full meal... Salad an meat, pasta and salad, lasagne, Shepard pie and on "smaller dinner "days such things as spaghetti on toast. Then there's always dessert in REIT household. Now on top of this everyday meal she sits at a desk a Uni except for walks in betwen classes and ofcourse bout a 10 min walk to work a couple times a week ( work is also at a desk)......
    Now my story 1500 cals a day so e times less if its a protein shake day. Breakfast is a protein shake or a couple eggs,or one slice of toast with egg whites instead of a full egg if its a toast day. Snack in between is plain young hurt with kiwi or a handful of nuts. Lunch is generally salad with under a tablespoon of light dressing ( salmon, chicken breast shredded). Arvo snack would be a handful if grapes or a protein cookie ( 4 grams carbs bout 2 gms being sugar) I go to Uni also, walk to and from classes, to and from bus stop, work 4 days a week ( standing job) and train with a personal trainer 3 times a week then my own session remaining two days plus 40 mins to an hour more after pt sessions so that's 2 hours 5 days...
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Just because they don't gain weight doesn't mean they are healthy. At least you will be the physically fit and healthy one who looks after herself.

I had a friend who ate LOADS and literally was skin and bone, I envied her a lot.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Order your own food.

This. Or douse yourself in holy water and hang from a tree for twenty minutes.

Then you'll have self control.

And your friends probably don't eat as much as you think they do. Or they do and their extremely active.
  • boboorange
    Options
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention dinner! It's been more or less the same for the last 5 months! Tofu and veggies stir fried usually add a teaspoon of peanut butter and chilli sauce and soy sauce. It chicken stir fried with Vegas the same way ( half a chicken breast) some days it's just a couple poached eggs with 25 gms salmon or soup. Desert on occasion is fruit and nut mix ( 2 to 3 teaspoons ,half pot yoghurt, half kiwi) that's bout a 200 cal dessert. I only use the fruit and nut mix from packs so I can track calories and buy without too many raisins and series apricots etc as those really pack cals and sugar!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    To put it straight, he just didn't really think or care about food all that much, except for when he was hungry.
    Completely foreign concept for most people.

This. There's no getting around the fact that if you eat more calories than you burn off you gain weight. Yes, some people do have more efficient metabolisms etc but honestly the main difference is probably how your friends eat when you're not watching them. Also notice do they actually finish everything? One of my problems is if it's there I'll eat it. So if I've got fries on my plate I keep eating. Skinny friends may have the same meal as me but if they're full they stop eating.

Definitely this!! I've been brought up with the "clear your plate" attitude which is crazy really, I find it really hard to leave anything on my plate no matter if Im full or not although my skinny friend thinks nothing of leaving her meal once she's had enough.
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    This is a really interesting topic-- and one that I ponder about from time to time. I have a lot of naturally svelte friends who will eat a hamburger and shake in one meal, but if I hang out with them all day, I'll notice that they eat fairly light the rest of the day because they're simply not hungry after a big meal. A small snack here or there, lots of water, etc. I realized that *I* was the one with a warped sense of eating. *I* thought that you had to have 3 full meals a day with snacks in between (without considering that one of those meals was 3/4ths of my calorie allotment for the day . My thin friends are also counting calories, but they tend to do it unconsciously-- which is why they can maintain. There's also the fact-- as escapeartist alluded to, that because they don't yo-yo so much with their weight, they have an efficient metabolism.

I think there are a lot more factors than the ones I mentioned. At least for me, when I look at my skinny friends, I notice a huge difference in our attitudes toward food and eating (that I am working to change for myself).

I totally agree either eat before you go out so your only hungry enough for fries or a milkshake etc or eat what you want then really work out or eat lighter for the rest of the day :smile: I have the same issue, my best mate isn't skinny but nor does he care (good for him i always think :tongue: ) and when we meet up its the pub alcohol fast food etc but I just work out like a mad man before hand or suck it up call it fat day or a binge day or a relaxed day what ever you want to call it. I have learnt that the more you worry or count calories the more this can stress you!!! learn to relax and you will enjoy the exercise and food more :smile:
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has a really fast metabolism. He can eat everything and he does - especially tons of chocolate, bread rolls with butter and avocado and nuts. We both don't eat much junk food (we are vegetarians - and there's not much "tasty" and "organic" junk food out there). sometimes he forgets to eat and loses six pounds in half a week. He is always happy when he gains. that's not fair and it's not easy when you live together and one always need to eat and the other always need to watch her calories. But hey, that's how it is.
  • losingforababy
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel being a tall, overweight, blonde, very white skinned female living in china....trust me i know how you feel all my chinese friends are extremly petite and small and feminine and i on the other hand am a giant in comparison. Its hard but at the end of the day this is your struggle, your problem and your weight its your responsibility. Stop comparing yourself to others and be satisfied that your making a change. stop thinking about what your not and what you dont have and start thinking about what you do have. It has really made a difference in my weightloss previously be positive and stop hating yourself.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    1) no one forces you to eat anything; that is entirely up to you

2) if you don't want to sabotage your efforts, then eat BEFORE you go out and order a light appy as a snack. this is what i do; my friends are total foodies and they love to eat rich, yummy foods. i eat before i leave the house and then order a light appy (salad etc) so i can still enjoy eating with them and the socialization. they always order dessert but i never do.

3) never mind about them being petite. my cousins are like that - grew up on junk food and no matter how much they eat (and they NEVER exercise), they never put on weight. however, i know that can't be healthy! worry about your own health and never mind them.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself ahead of the game.. you are learning to eat right and healthy. They may need your help one day when their metabolisms slow down.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Here's what I tell myself: "It's just food. They'll still be making the same stuff next time you come here. This is not a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Great way to look at it. I have a friend who is a size 2 who lives on Cokes and Snickers, but that is her and not me. Just look at what eating healthy gets you and know that putting in the effort IS worth it. There is a saying(don't remember the exact wording) but it says something like "Eating crappy food is not a reward, it is a punishment." I agree alot with this because it really does not do anything for you nutritionally and alot of the time you will regret it afterwards if it adds on the weight. Having an occassional splurge is not the end of the world, but just don't make it a habit and you should be good. Ordering differently from everyone else is awkward at first, but it will become second nature after a while.

BTW-look up the restaurant calories before heading out and know what is good to eat and what is a calorie bomb so that when they order that 1,500 calorie burger it does not seem so appealing anymore.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Either they wont be skinny for long and/or they don't eat a lot during the times you don't see them and/or they have awesome metabolisms. Also possible that they don't have the fat cells to store extra fat in their bodies (your body eventually creates more through a process called lipogenesis).

***POSSIBLE BROSCIENCE ALERT***
    It's also my opinion that the body will do anything to reach a homeostatic/stable state, aka will try to return your bodyweight to a set point as it's easier to maintain function at a stable weight rather than a fluctuating one. Don't ask me to provide studies, it's just a conclusion I've made based on the observations I've made with my own body and others.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who ate tons of junk food and stayed skinny. So much so that when my eating habits changed, I was in complete denial. It turns out beforehand I was actually eating far less and when I was gaining weight I was actually eating far MORE. I'm trying to get back to that intuitive form of eating.

I think a lot of thin people are just more intuitive about how hungry/full they are.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to always eat CRAP! Fast food cookie dough candy soda, you name it. But I have ALWAYS been skinny. Some people just have it lucky. But I always felt like crap. No energy, always sleepy. But about 5 years ago I stopped soda and about 2 years ago I started eating right. And I toned up and lost even more body fat. I feel better and have more energy. My husband eats like **** and so does a lot if people at my work. You just have to remember what's important to you. When they offer it say no. Don't say I can't, say I won't. Will power is a muscle. And just like normal muscles, the more you work them, the stronger they get. Just remember what's important to you!
  • lanakills
    lanakills Posts: 12
    Options
    They do not gain weight because they eat when they're hungry and know when to stop!
    No matter what you eat, if you're over eating things you will gain weight.

Now, what can you do to still see your friends and enjoy your weekend? Try to listen to your stomach and your body. Have a treat and choose a healthier meal. Even if you eat pizza, try the veggie one or the margarita. Go dancing after that you will burn some calories.
    My theory is that it is important to have treats, to enjoy your social time by using all the things you've learnt.
    As everyone said here, the key is moderation! Have your drink, your meal. Do not drink and eat to much that's all.
    If you eat well during the week it's not your saturday evening that will ruin everything :-)

When I hang out with my friends, now I ask myself if I am really hungry, if I really want to eat this and if there are healthiest solutions.