Help me with beans for breakfast, please!

Options
I've just been reading about how people all over the world, except the US, eat beans and toast for breakfast. I'm posting at the crack of dawn in California, hoping to catch the non-American community.

How do you do it? Drain and rinse some Garbanzos and let them roll around on top of your toast? Mashed Pintos? Black beans in a savory sauce? Pureed white beans with honey? Please help me figure out how to eat beans and toast for breakfast!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    In the UK, it's baked beans on toast. Canned, tomato-sauce based. Heinz is a favorite brand over there--very similar to Campbell's.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks majope. We have Heinz here. Canned baked beans are sweet, right?
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Remember it's the tomato sauce that is fattening....The beans are a good sauce of vegetable protein...
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    That's what I'm looking for - a good source of vegetable protein, a lot of fiber, and that leptin boost that beans provide. My current breakfast only sustains me until about 10:00. I eat two slices of whole grain bread, 1 T almond butter and fruit. I even have a no-sugar plant protein powder with water at 10:00 and I'm still famished before 12 noon! Then I overeat at lunch, leaving only a few hundred for the rest of the day.

I'm hoping beans will be the answer, but I need an idea other than baked beans. Anyone?
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you like refried beans? Homemade ones (I make a big batch in the slow cooker and freeze the extras) are cheap easy and supply a good bit of protein. They're actually good with a fried egg and hot sauce or you can do a breakfast tostada of sorts, spread some of the beans on toast or a corn tortilla with a bit of cheese.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    I don't know about refried beans for breakfast. I love them but I'm used to milder, sweeter flavors in the morning. Also, I'd like a vegan option with no eggs or cheese. I'm sorry I keep shooting down everyone's ideas! I don't mean to be ungrateful...

Maybe what would be appealing is a white bean hummus sweetened with fruit. Or white beans and spinach with a mild sauce of some sort.

Coming up with a breakfast bean idea is hard!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a bowl of cooked beans for breakfast? There's no law that says only certain foods can be eaten at certain times a day.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    You're right. I guess I'm having a hard time leaving my comfortable breakfast ideas behind. :frown:
  • LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bean on toast oh how I miss that....I used to have baked beans from heinz but the sodium is really high
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't like them for breakfast but often have black beans for lunch. They are my favorite.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have become a black bean addict over the years. Black beans with a spicy salsa in a burrito could be good. (Since I do not do vegan/vegitarian I will often make a egg/cheese/bean burrito)
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you're vegan. ok got this:

white bean hummus purred w avocado is fantastic on toast...just fantastic. (white bean hummus is just reg hummus but made w white/northern/navy beans instead of garbanzos) reg hummus recipe is garbanzos or white beans purred w garlic, lemon juice, tahini, & paprika.

try diff brands of tempeh and see which one ya like. something like mellow mushroom's vegan tempeh pizza would be good for breakfast. i would prob make it kind of fresh tasting: crispy tortilla shell as the crust (just spray w oil and bake until it's not soft), top w tomatoes, a lil more olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and tempeh. bake. garnish w nutritional yeast

beans = tofu. have you tried a tofu scramble yet for breakfast? tofu scrambled w onions, peppers, topped w nutritional yeast = vegan's best friend. do a search on youtube for tofu scramble.

as a previous person rec'd, I advise making a huge batch of beans in your crockpot and freezing most of it for later. i freeze my beans really flat so i can just slap off how much i want. black beans/lentils, tomatoes, and brown rice make a great breakfast.

vegan miso soup is fab for breakfast. i will have leftover/cold miso soup for breakfast. most Japanese people eat miso soup for breakfast. again, if you consider tofu as beans...it's got tofu chunks in it and it is made w miso (soybean) paste.

smoothie: i take 1/4 container of soft tofu, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, peanut butter, strawberries and puree w a lil sweetener and ice. rock your world delicious and it's a great on the go breakfast.

in the summer time my family has a garden and there are these seeds that have been in the family for years and years. I don't know what they are exactly. My dad says they are just peas. they kinda look like a cross btwn black eyed peas, field peas and some kind of bean. When they are in season and the tomatoes are perfect, my brother and i both love eating those w hot sauce and tomatoes. i usu pair it w eggs or avocado tho.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Beans on toast" generally refers to British-style baked beans in tomato sauce. The Heinz brand is ubiquitous and comes in a teal can. American Heinz baked beans are much sweeter than the British variety... the British ones are vegetarian and in a rather tangy tomato sauce, whereas the American ones tend to have a sort of mapley flavor and there are both vegetarian and non-veg varieties available. If you have a market nearby with a well-stocked international section you may be able to find the ones in the teal can, which are much tastier in my opinion. :) This is a pretty standard meal item and is very hearty and filling!

If you're feeling more adventurous, refried beans or black beans with a little salsa on toast is also excellent.

Edited to add: I eat hummus for breakfast all the time! Hummus on toast is an excellent idea.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Do you like refried beans? Homemade ones (I make a big batch in the slow cooker and freeze the extras) are cheap easy and supply a good bit of protein. They're actually good with a fried egg and hot sauce or you can do a breakfast tostada of sorts, spread some of the beans on toast or a corn tortilla with a bit of cheese.

Could you provide a recipe for your homemade refried beans?? I used to buy them in the can but there is sooooo much sodium! I would love to try some homemade ones.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine eating beans with fruit. Blech!

I have eaten beans for breakfast before, usually refried beans in a burrito. I like the idea of beans on toast, but I think I would prefer the maple ones over the tomato ones (and hey, you could get your sweet kick with that!) They are some non-vegan maple beans, but they also do have vegan ones. When I was a vegetarian, I used to eat maple beans all the time. I can't remember the brand, but it was probably heinz (don't quote me on that though...)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is cannelini beans used in baked beans.

Some recipes for homemade baked beans on the below link.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25451&p=2
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    you're vegan. ok got this:

white bean hummus purred w avocado is fantastic on toast...just fantastic. (white bean hummus is just reg hummus but made w white/northern/navy beans instead of garbanzos) reg hummus recipe is garbanzos or white beans purred w garlic, lemon juice, tahini, & paprika.

try diff brands of tempeh and see which one ya like. something like mellow mushroom's vegan tempeh pizza would be good for breakfast. i would prob make it kind of fresh tasting: crispy tortilla shell as the crust (just spray w oil and bake until it's not soft), top w tomatoes, a lil more olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and tempeh. bake. garnish w nutritional yeast

beans = tofu. have you tried a tofu scramble yet for breakfast? tofu scrambled w onions, peppers, topped w nutritional yeast = vegan's best friend. do a search on youtube for tofu scramble.

as a previous person rec'd, I advise making a huge batch of beans in your crockpot and freezing most of it for later. i freeze my beans really flat so i can just slap off how much i want. black beans/lentils, tomatoes, and brown rice make a great breakfast.

vegan miso soup is fab for breakfast. i will have leftover/cold miso soup for breakfast. most Japanese people eat miso soup for breakfast. again, if you consider tofu as beans...it's got tofu chunks in it and it is made w miso (soybean) paste.

smoothie: i take 1/4 container of soft tofu, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, peanut butter, strawberries and puree w a lil sweetener and ice. rock your world delicious and it's a great on the go breakfast.

in the summer time my family has a garden and there are these seeds that have been in the family for years and years. I don't know what they are exactly. My dad says they are just peas. they kinda look like a cross btwn black eyed peas, field peas and some kind of bean. When they are in season and the tomatoes are perfect, my brother and i both love eating those w hot sauce and tomatoes. i usu pair it w eggs or avocado tho.

Wow! How generous of you to give me so many beany deliciousness ideas for breakfast! I will be pouring over these suggestions tomorrow and making plans while my white beans are cooking in the crock pot. Thank you!
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    What about hummus with apple slices?

I have heard of black bean brownies... could you adapt a recipe to include blended white beans into some sort of a breakfast bar?

Don't be afraid to get creative and throw out a batch and try again if it doesn't work the first time.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    I couldn't imagine eating beans with fruit. Blech!

I have eaten beans for breakfast before, usually refried beans in a burrito. I like the idea of beans on toast, but I think I would prefer the maple ones over the tomato ones (and hey, you could get your sweet kick with that!) They are some non-vegan maple beans, but they also do have vegan ones. When I was a vegetarian, I used to eat maple beans all the time. I can't remember the brand, but it was probably heinz (don't quote me on that though...)

I'm chuckling because I misread your Blech as Belch! I've never paired beans with fruit, but thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Thanks for the suggestion of maple beans. I can't say that tomatoes sound appealing for breakfast, although I know lots of people do that.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    What about hummus with apple slices?

I have heard of black bean brownies... could you adapt a recipe to include blended white beans into some sort of a breakfast bar?

Don't be afraid to get creative and throw out a batch and try again if it doesn't work the first time.

Thanks! What a great idea! I'll google it before trying to reinvent the wheel.