Help me with beans for breakfast, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It is cannelini beans used in baked beans.

Some recipes for homemade baked beans on the below link.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25451&p=2

This link isn't working for me, but I did find this one that looks good: http://reciperenovator.com/special-diets/vegan/how-to-make-baked-beans/
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is cannelini beans used in baked beans.

Some recipes for homemade baked beans on the below link.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25451&p=2

This link isn't working for me, but I did find this one that looks good: http://reciperenovator.com/special-diets/vegan/how-to-make-baked-beans/

Ah, must be a Uk only site as it works for me.
  • JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe the American version went out the window because beans were thought of as poor food. My mom, born during the depression, said they ate beans and potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A Baked bean sandwich was standard for us growing up for any meal or snack inbetween. That said beans are good at any time of the day, there is no meal police that says you have to eat breakfast foods at breakfast, lunch foods at lunch, and dinner foods at dinner.
    What types of beans would you eat for lunch or dinner? How about incorporate that into your morning meal.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    "Beans on toast" generally refers to British-style baked beans in tomato sauce. The Heinz brand is ubiquitous and comes in a teal can. American Heinz baked beans are much sweeter than the British variety... the British ones are vegetarian and in a rather tangy tomato sauce, whereas the American ones tend to have a sort of mapley flavor and there are both vegetarian and non-veg varieties available. If you have a market nearby with a well-stocked international section you may be able to find the ones in the teal can, which are much tastier in my opinion. :) This is a pretty standard meal item and is very hearty and filling!

If you're feeling more adventurous, refried beans or black beans with a little salsa on toast is also excellent.

Edited to add: I eat hummus for breakfast all the time! Hummus on toast is an excellent idea.

Thanks for this great info on the British vs. American style baked beans. It's always surprising to me how different packaged foods are in various countries. When I was in England 20 years ago, we were looking for mayonaise in a market by Victoria Station. Nobody knew what we were talking about.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    "Beans on toast" generally refers to British-style baked beans in tomato sauce. The Heinz brand is ubiquitous and comes in a teal can. American Heinz baked beans are much sweeter than the British variety... the British ones are vegetarian and in a rather tangy tomato sauce, whereas the American ones tend to have a sort of mapley flavor and there are both vegetarian and non-veg varieties available. If you have a market nearby with a well-stocked international section you may be able to find the ones in the teal can, which are much tastier in my opinion. :) This is a pretty standard meal item and is very hearty and filling!

If you're feeling more adventurous, refried beans or black beans with a little salsa on toast is also excellent.

Edited to add: I eat hummus for breakfast all the time! Hummus on toast is an excellent idea.

I eat hummus all the time, too, and I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out if I add it to one more meal...unless it's a very different flavor from my lunch time favorites: greek olive and red pepper.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Beans, Beans,
    The magical fruit,
    The more you eat them, the more you toot.
    The more you toot, the better you feel,
    Now you're ready,
    for another meal!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've actually almost stopped eating traditional breakfast foods for breakfast b/c they don't fill me up and it's hard to get in enough protein.

One of my favorite breakfast combos is 4 oz grilled chicken breast and 1/2 of a baked sweet potato. But, it sounds like you don't eat meat and that totally doesn't answer your bean question!

I have been known to eat soy beans, black-eyes peas, black beans and re-fried beans for breakfast. None of those fit into your traditional idea of a sweater meal though.

I'd say for that, make your own baked beans. The "tomato" sauce in and of itself should not be "fattening" unless you add fat, and you can control how much sugar (might try agave since it's sweeter for less calories) that you put in. And I'd try Ezikiel's (sp) for your toast. That stuff is dense. but good... it could help fill you up! I get it in the freezer section.

Good luck!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Here in the Middle East we have foul medammas - it's fava beans cooked down until they are pureed and mixed with tomatoes and spices. Often chillis as well. People eat it with rolls of bread, or pita bread. Really delicious - think I'm going to have it today in fact!

I also love hummus on toast for breakfast. You can make simple hummus yourself with garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. You can add paprika or basil or whatever you like to add flavour.

I also like to eat leftover veggie chilli (made with beans) for breakfast. I put it in a pan, make two holes in the chilli, and fry eggs in the holes. Then eat the whole lot with toast.

There are lots of recipes for hummus style bean-pate that would also be great on bread for breakfast.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    And this looks like a good recipe for homemade baked beans http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/10/slow-cooked-tomato-and-herb-white-beans

I know you can buy low salt low sugar Heinz ones if you look for them.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Here in the Middle East we have foul medammas - it's fava beans cooked down until they are pureed and mixed with tomatoes and spices. Often chillis as well. People eat it with rolls of bread, or pita bread. Really delicious - think I'm going to have it today in fact!

YUMMY! I loooove Middle Eastern food!