Anyone use a kitchen scale to weigh food before eating?

Options
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about getting a kitchen scale, to weigh my food before eating, so I have a better idea of how big some of my meal portions are, especially meats, to get an most accurate picture of how many calories I've consuming a day.

Do any of you use kitchen scales for weight loss purposes? And if so, what are some brands/models you've had good experiences with?

Feel free to "weigh in" with your answers! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Replies

• jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do, especially with things that I tend to go overboard on (i.e. potato chips). I use the Biggest Loser scale (bought in on Amazon, forgot how much I paid).
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have the Eat Smart Precision scale. I got it on Amazon for $25. I think it is awesome. I found that I was overestimating how many calories I was eating so since I got the scale, I eat more food. Turns out the amount of cheese I thought was one serving was actually closer to half a serving. Same thing with chicken.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Yep!! Still use it. It's very eye opening as to how much you really are consuming.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do!!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    everything.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I measure most of my food. You can get an inexpensive scale at walmart that works perfectly fine.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    definitely do!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    I have the same one Cristina has. I love it. It's really helpful for meat, cheese, things that are impossible to measure by volume.

Even things you can place in cups or tablespoons are often way more than you think.

Good $25 investment on Amazon..
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I used to bc my trainer recommended it, but to be honest, I think I am too lazy to consistently use it. It takes time. I use the hand method. . .

meat should be the size of your closed fist

carb should be the size of your palm

veggies should be the size of your entire open hand.

(if it is a green veggie, I say unlimited) I use it as a filler if I'm still hungry.
  • bananabananabanana
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING on my scales!
    Unfortunately they've just died... I don't know whether that is down to overuse or the fact that my hubby might have got water in the electrics :( So I'm back to using my old analogue ones for now.
    Can't remember the brand sorry, not a well known one anyway.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It is worth the investment - You will be amazed to learn how off your eyeball portions are! It is very useful when you buy snacks etc in bulk and need to measure out individual portions. Do you eat dry cereal - eyeopener! Peanut butter - what really is 2 tbs? Not much! Protein powder - is that scoop really a serving? How much pizza? Dry pasta ? I can go on and on! Take out portions? Homemade breads -how much is a slice?

Eventually yo will get better at eyeballing some foods but without seeing what real portions of foods are you will more than likly way overestimate what you eat.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I LOVE weighing my food!

I bought the cheapest food scale at walmart and I love it. A few things I couldn't believe I was over-estimating:

- cereal
    - any type of snack food like potato chips
    - my frozen fruit for my smoothies
    - and meat portions

Since having my scale I actually love taking the time to measure and figure out what I am putting into my body. Sometimes too I will start measuring out something bad for me and by the time I have gone to all the trouble of dumping it out and figuring out the calories I realize it isn't worth it LOL.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have one and I use it daily.
    I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, you're just guessing at portions and, therefore, calories!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything at home. I don't go to restaurants often but when I do I look up the nutritional info or log slightly over the estimate of something similar.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I bought a $5 scale from Target and LOVE it. I started using it about 2 months ago because I wanted to be more accurate instead of guessing. Takes a little bit more time but at least I know that I am logging accurately! GET YOU ONE!
  • JadedEyez4
    Options
    Yes I weigh all servings of everything. At my local Wal-Mart they have the biggest loser scale there that is quite inexpensive. :smile:
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap one from WalMart (like $10). One of my best investments! I weigh everything. Everyday. ALL.THE.TIME. It's easy to do and makes things so accurate.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I got a small, nice-looking digital scale at the hardware store for 10$. It has different units and settings available. It sits on my counter and YES, I weigh pretty much every darn thing that goes in my mouth. Getting accurate measurements on my portions was a real eye-opener!!! Use weights rather than volumes whenever possible, except for true liquids (milk, etc.)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have the Eat Smart Precision scale. I got it on Amazon for $25. I think it is awesome. I found that I was overestimating how many calories I was eating so since I got the scale, I eat more food. Turns out the amount of cheese I thought was one serving was actually closer to half a serving. Same thing with chicken.

^^ THIS I have this one and love it!!! I was over estimating meat and cheese portions BIG TIME before I got the scale. Worth the investment