Anyone use a kitchen scale to weigh food before eating?

Options

Replies

• scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's a cheapy from Wal-Mart. Not only does it help keep from too much but also from too little. Also use measuring spoons.
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was a chef in my previous career and am pretty good at eyeballing portions but I still use a standard kitchen scale I picked up at a restaurant supply store.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i think my kitchen scales my break if i stood on them :bigsmile:

seriously tho i used to weight EVERYTHING but you get to know the amounts really so i just weight the meat now and help yourself to the veggies! :wink:
  • chessiesmom
    chessiesmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use my "Biggest Loser" scale to measure out snack portions, and leave them on my pantry shelf. That way it's easy and quick to grab a healthy snack.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I eat and measure all the liquids. Apart from water I guess that.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I have two of them now, and I say, if you have weight to lose, you really need it because it can make all the difference in the world.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Its probably the most important tool besides MFP to lose weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How do you fill in your diary without knowing how much of anything you're eating?
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I weigh the lot! I was shocked at how much I was overestimating a portion of cereal or a piece of cheese.

Mine are just regular digital scales, nothing fancy but they live on the counter top now so I've no excuse not to do it.

It's a source of endless amusement to my husband - he caught me weighing lettuce earlier :)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have a nice stainless steel kind with a bowl on top for easy cleaning, bought at Target for 17.99. Although now I can pretty much measure by eye...
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do, weigh the lot, including 1 apple / orange etc, they vary so much

Yes even lettuce & cucumber, it all adds up

As others said, it will be an eye opener, and sometimes tha calories for the weight / volume are just not worth it to me. 100 grammes of dry rice is so small I would rather just have an apple for instance

PS mine were from Lidl, and has a zero function so you can add food like lettuce to plate, zero, add some more, say cucumber and so on
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things, some things I do not like spinach or mini cucumbers. But protein, fats and carbs I measure for sure.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do. I find weighing to be the most accurate.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes I use it all the time.I bought the Biggest Loser scale too at walmart fo about $20. It weighs ounces or grams. If you want to weigh multiple items you just put the plate on the scale and then zero it out by pushing the button. Then weigh an item zero it and then put the next item on.Just zero it between items. Love It!
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Religiously. Every day. For almost all foods, except when I'm using measuring cups.
  • 2wawas
    2wawas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - -I don't go anywhere without it! Well -- almost anywhere. Even after 1 1/2 yrs of measuring food, I'm pretty good at eyeballing my food but I still use my scale to keep me in line!
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I weigh everything that I eat at home.

I have this scale http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17290339. Cost me 30.00 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I like that the display piece pulls out so if you put a large plate on it to measure you can still see the display (my old one the plate would overshadow the display).
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    Every single meal. I even have a mini scale to take on the go!
  • Me too I weigh everything
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. It was a HUGE shock how much I was overestimating on my meats. Even using my kitchen measuring tools was still inaccurate. I have the biggest loser digital kitchen scale. I got it at bed bath and beyond for like 20 bucks. It also has an option so you can measure different ingredients in the same bowl. Love it. Wouldn't go back.