Am I the one who gets hungrier after diet coke?

Options
Hi! I would love to hear some opinions about it,because I don't know if I am paranoid or this happens to other people.After drinking diet drinks,I feel like stuffing my face with crap food.Of course I don't but I have to use all my willpower not to.Any opinions? An I usually don't drink anything that is not water,but if its an special occasion I have ONE glass of diet coke.

Replies

• fitgrl124
    fitgrl124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have recently been reading more about diet pop. The way that I see it, it seems like it definitely makes you want to eat crap food. The crap food and phenylalanine in diet coke increases dopamine (the happy hormone) so your body keeps wanting crap food when you eat crap food. I know for me personally, I had stopped drinking any diet soda for almost a year. I was the smallest weight that I had been. But then I started adding it back (here and there) and I have gained back 15 pounds. I don't know if this was the cause but either way, I'm not drinking it ever again.

Hope this helps!
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There is more and more data being discovered that points towards the artificial and processed sugars are able to cause the brain to quickly desire more of them, nearly to an addiction level.

I avoid ALL artificial sweeteners.
  • snowflake266
    Options
    Thanks for answering! I am not paranoid then :laugh: I had a glass of diet coke with my lunch and about an hour ago I run to the fridge desperate for some unhealthy,crap food.Good job I don't have any and it ended up being a french toast with half sliced banana on the top and a bit of 85% dark chocolate. Not the best since I am trying to cut down carbs but still better than a tub of ice cream :happy:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that. If anything, diet sodas tend to make me feel full more quickly and for a longer time period.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Snowflake -- what happens is, when your body senses a great rush of something sweet being input, it releases a load of insulin to deal with it. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners in this respect. So the insulin comes gushing out and drives your blood glucose levels down REALLY FAST. That is why you crave bad foods - you body is desperate for a really quick HIT of something sugary to drive your levels back up.

You can look up insulin in Wiki or Youtube.

My advice is STOP DRINKING THAT CRAP!
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Diet cola does not make me feel hungrier. But I have tried diet snapple teas, and those have made me hungry after drinking them.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've actually never had this problem, and as someone else pointed out, I've had quite the opposite effect. Sometimes if I drink too much (though this rarely happens anymore) the caffeine will make me feel jittery which I have mistaken for hunger before, but in moderation diet drinks make me feel full.

Also...while there are valid reasons to avoid soda (dental health, better alternatives, personal preference, etc) watch out for the anti-aspartame gang. They'll have you believing that a sip of the stuff will kill your whole family ancestors and all.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Mmm aspartame.

I drink diet sodas all day long. It's a bored habit, but I also drink at least a gallon of water too. I figure somewhere it balances out.
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No it's a real thing, there have been studies saying that diet sodas with aspartame make you crave sweet foods. Fortunately it doesn't happen to me!
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also...while there are valid reasons to avoid soda (dental health, better alternatives, personal preference, etc) watch out for the anti-aspartame gang. They'll have you believing that a sip of the stuff will kill your whole family ancestors and all.

LMAO right? On this one forum this guy said his 90 year old neighbor drank a liter of diet soda a day and she has cancer, therefore it MUST be from the aspartame. Um she is 90 years old that is WAY past the average life expectancy. If aspartame is killing her it's taking its sweet time!!!
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I quit drinking diet coke when I started on my "life style change" because I really thought I craved chocolate and sweets alot more. So my answer is I'm with ya :-)
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Go google it. It is the stuff they put in it.. it DOES increase cravings.. I am very anti-diet soda.. that stuff is horrible.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Snowflake -- what happens is, when your body senses a great rush of something sweet being input, it releases a load of insulin to deal with it. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners in this respect. So the insulin comes gushing out and drives your blood glucose levels down REALLY FAST. That is why you crave bad foods - you body is desperate for a really quick HIT of something sugary to drive your levels back up.

Sounds like a big scary horror movie. Either that or that ride from Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland.

"Neither sweetener affected peak insulin levels in subjects with or without diabetes. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3046854
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to be a diet pop nut, but i have stopped drinking it , maybe 1 every couple of months. Now i drink more water with a slice of ginger, lemon or mango in it. I also put cucumber in my water for something different....
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a diet soda drinker but I have cut WAYYYYY back. Used to drink 4 or 5 a day - now I might drink 1 a day. I prefer water with sugar free flavor added to it. When I do drink diet soda I do not crave junk food but everyone is different. Just stick to what works for you. If the diet cokes are not working for you, try something different.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Pretty much NO to every sentence of this.
  • Diamond_angel20
    Options
    Ive read that diet pepsi is unhealthier that the original one because it makes u crave sugar more. Consequently, u gain pounds.
    Basically its just an indirect way to gain weight :D
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Ive read that diet pepsi is unhealthier that the original one because it makes u crave sugar more. Consequently, u indirectly gain pounds.

Read where? The studies I have seen, such as one linked by a previous poster, do not show that aspartame increases hunger.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    SOME people have negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, whether it's cravings or headaches or digestive upset. THOSE people should avoid them.

I break out in hives from Ivory soap, so I don't use it. I don't tell the world they shouldn't use Ivory soap, though.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    SOME people have negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, whether it's cravings or headaches or digestive upset. THOSE people should avoid them.

I break out in hives from Ivory soap, so I don't use it. I don't tell the world they shouldn't use Ivory soap, though.

QFT

I drink an average of one sugar free energy drink a day and sometimes have some Pepsi One. I've had no ill effects from this.

If you do have ill effects from drinking diet soda, stop drinking it. Just don't go telling everyone that they WILL have negative effects.