Am I the one who gets hungrier after diet coke?

Options

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    SOME people have negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, whether it's cravings or headaches or digestive upset. THOSE people should avoid them.

I break out in hives from Ivory soap, so I don't use it. I don't tell the world they shouldn't use Ivory soap, though.
    Dude! I'm allergic to ivory soap too. I mean...should we start a group or something?
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would say cut out diet cokes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that. If anything, diet sodas tend to make me feel full more quickly and for a longer time period.

This is how I am too. It helps me not eat something else sweet that I might have had.

Do what works for you OP.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    SOME people have negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, whether it's cravings or headaches or digestive upset. THOSE people should avoid them.

I break out in hives from Ivory soap, so I don't use it. I don't tell the world they shouldn't use Ivory soap, though.
    Dude! I'm allergic to ivory soap too. I mean...should we start a group or something?

What about the adhesive on Band-Aid brand bandages? I have to use Curad or a generic store brand or I get a rash.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you conflated hunger with wanting to eat junk food. I would encourage you to take the time to differentiate those 2 in the moment you feel them. A lot of time, there's no hunger accompanied with the craving to eat junk.

I think most people who ever drank sodas regularly and continue to drink them or diet sodas have trained their brains to expect junk WITH this fizzy sweet drink. I think it triggers the craving, not actual hunger.

I definitely LOVE carbonated beverages, but I choose carbonated water now instead. Unsweetened, so I don't experience the craving for junk with it. LaCroix coconut or grapefruit flavor is really tasty.
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks and anything with caffeine in it effects me the same way. I mainly just stick with water.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I have problems with Ivory soap, as well. I'm so happy I finally have a safe place to talk about it. Let's tell the world about this dangerous product!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you do some research on diet sodas (Google is your friend), you will find that there are plenty of studies out there linking diet soda with obesity. The science is showing that when you drink artificial sweeteners, it actually makes your body crave sweet foods more. Thus, you will eat more.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you conflated hunger with wanting to eat junk food. I would encourage you to take the time to differentiate those 2 in the moment you feel them. A lot of time, there's no hunger accompanied with the craving to eat junk.

Totally off topic, but I love that you used the word conflate. Kinda made my day.
  • TeresaJTuck
    TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas aren't good for you at all. I gave them up TOTALLY, because the Sweetener they put in Diet Soto das aren't good for people at all.
    About 10 months ago I had a Stomach Problem. I really didn't know what it was, but something was making my Stomach hurt really bad. At first I thought maybe I had a Gluten Problem, so I went Gluten-Free for a while. I stopped putting Splenda in my Coffee, Tea, etc.
    I went to my Doctor to get my Physical and told her my Problem and that I wanted a Celiac Disease Test. It was a no-go so I had to go back on Gluten(which, knock on wood) hasn't hurt me since. I haven't had any Problems since.
    my Problem was probably the Sweetner in Diet Sodas and Splenda.
    I have also been losing Weight since I stopped that "Fake" Sweetener Stuff.
    The reason why you get Hungry is because it has something in the Diet Soda that makes you Hungry and yes, it will make you want to eat.
    You should start limiting yourself to a "Regular" Soda once in a while, maybe 2 a week and if you can 1 time a week. Try it and see how that helps. And also "Limit" your Regular Sugar.
    I hope this helps you out.
    Teresa Tuck
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of diet cola and have recently cut down. I didn't find it made me hungry, just not as thirst quenching as water. The key though is to wean yourself off gradually if you want to give it up.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    If you do some research on diet sodas (Google is your friend), you will find that there are plenty of studies out there linking diet soda with obesity. The science is showing that when you drink artificial sweeteners, it actually makes your body crave sweet foods more. Thus, you will eat more.

Hmmm . . . thanks for the very convincing argument there bro.

Especially the part about Google.

I'll stick to the independent peer reviewed studies why you let Google ( a search engine supported by advertisers) determine what is and isn't accurate information.

Edit to say: By the way I just did google diet soda and obesity and this is the first article I came up with.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast

Which begs the question . . . . Did you even bother to use google or do ANY research before responding?
  • planetshark
    planetshark Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Of course you do! Your body (plus your taste buds) can't physically differentiate real sugar from simple carbs and diet coke. All you get from it is an insulin spike, an even bigger sugar/carb tooth, and mad cravings. Do yourself a favor and wean yourself from this habit. Go to www.sweetpoison.com for further enlightenment on this topic ...
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that. If anything, diet sodas tend to make me feel full more quickly and for a longer time period.

me too.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    I rarely drink regular soda or juice. I cant even tell the difference half the time, its been so long since I've had regular soda..everyone laughs at me when i say this is regular and its digusting and clearly diet to them lol.. anyhow... my only suggestion is unsweetened tea... anything you drink that is diet, 0 cals etc is going to have some kind of faux sweetener...which might be your issue but i doubt it. To answer the question, No. Soda of any kind doesn't make me hungry.. its probably that you actually are hungry and trying to drink something instead of eating..hopefully not the case but probably.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Of course you do! Your body (plus your taste buds) can't physically differentiate real sugar from simple carbs and diet coke. All you get from it is an insulin spike, an even bigger sugar/carb tooth, and mad cravings. Do yourself a favor and wean yourself from this habit. Go to www.sweetpoison.com for further enlightenment on this topic ...

I'm literally tying a noose around my ceiling fan right now.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    It's psychosomatic (in your head)

You think when you have diet coke it is a treat and therefore associate it with other 'treat' foods. So now you are thinking of 'treat' foods you don't normally eat and get cravings.

It is psychology not biology that is the key here.

I think of diet coke as flavoured water so when I have it I don't get food cravings.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Snowflake -- what happens is, when your body senses a great rush of something sweet being input, it releases a load of insulin to deal with it. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners in this respect. So the insulin comes gushing out and drives your blood glucose levels down REALLY FAST. That is why you crave bad foods - you body is desperate for a really quick HIT of something sugary to drive your levels back up.

You can look up insulin in Wiki or Youtube.

My advice is STOP DRINKING THAT CRAP!

No, just... no. That is definitely NOT the physiology of the release insulin. Please don't spread completely wrong information. Your body DOES know the difference between glucose and artificial sugars. If it didn't, a lot of diabetics would be in trouble.

A quick overview:

Glucose is the major regulator of insulin release. When glucose is metabolized, it generates ATP. That ATP closes the K+ (potassium) channels which depolarizes the cell membrane of beta cells (which are the insulin producing cells of the pancreas). This then opens up calcium channels, and the influx of calcium stimulates insulin secretion.

It's not even the "something sweet". It's glucose, period. Some foods will has more glucose than others (in the forms of disaccharides and polysaccharides), diet soda is not one of them. What is sweet in diet soda is aspartame. Aspartame is broken down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine, which are natural amino acids. Basically, stuff you'll find in other foods. In fact, phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, meaning that your body does not produce it and unless you have a genetic disorder (phenylketonuria, PKU), you have to take it in through diet. Are there people who may be sensitive to it, yeah totally. But it does not even come close to releasing insulin.

To answer the OP's question. There was a period of time when I got really bad cravings after drinking diet soda. So I stopped drinking it for a couple of months. Then I started drinking it again and haven't had a craving since. I think the reason why I had cravings was because I actually read an article about diet sodas causing cravings around the time it started.

But now that I think about it,I drank diet soda in high school and never had that problem, and once I did my own research, I realized that it just wasn't true. Because I expected the craving (from reading the article), it happened. It was just another excuse for gorging myself with junk. "But it's not my fault, I just had diet soda!"

I'm actually drinking my diet coke right now and no cravings for me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Heck, I don't need anything to make me want crap food.....that's just me being human. I just don't give into the cravings. :)