How to be comfortable with my butt when I run?

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Another vote for: Don't give a damn, just run.

Also, it's Sir Mixalot if you want to bump "Baby Got Back ..." Get yo' 80s rappers straight. Girl, we got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette.

it's possible that she might have been thinking of hammer's pumps and a bump :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsunEfZFG1Y

the sad thing is that both these songs are in my workout mix..still.. :laugh:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You are just going to need to tough it out and keep on running. i used to be terrified to run in public and would not run at all if people were nearby but by thinking that way you're only hurting yourself. Just run and don't worry about it!!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

Don't be self conscious! Just get out there and do it! For YOU!

So.damn.true.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Meh... it's running. Focus on what's ahead of you, not what's behind. :wink:

Very true. Look forward to your goals. Running: just do it.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    They are thinking, "that girl is badass!" Not "that girl has a bad *kitten*."
    You worry too much. :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

So.damn.true.

QFT and to add, when I see people running, I think "go you!" and "damn it, I want to go running now!"

I second the person who mention buying the fitted tops, I've got a bit of booty and I feel better & less jiggly in fitted tops & tight running leggings. If you've got the means, go to Gap & check out their running leggings, you won't be jiggling in those, trust me!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, some people may scream out their opinions. That's happened to me. The fact that they're *kitten* or out of shape themselves was not a comfort. No one likes to be attacked verbally when she's alone and vulnerable.

This is your third comment in this thread defending vulnerability rather than trying to combat it. Conquering self-consciousness comes from an inner strength that therapy, behavioral techniques, meditation, fitness (surprise, surprise!) all help conquer. A longer shirt isn't as powerful a shield against the possible external menaces, or the worst imagine internal ones, as is facing those insecurities and owning them.

To mfpcopine - Yeah...I'm glad someone pointed that out. People are trying to get her to get past her self-image issues, and you are just feeding them with your negative tone. You remind me of Marvin, to be honest..lol.

OP - just run and focus on running and the more positive side of things, like that fact that you are out there getting fit! Eventually, the more you do this, you'll realize your self-conscious fears will begin to fade.

Once again, the point has been missed. I didn't tell the OP not to run, in fact, I gave her specific suggestions for garments that would make her feel more comfortable, physically as well as psychologically. I'm not a Pollyanna. I don't send people off with You Go Girl! affirmations that may not hold up in the real world.

No idea who Marvin is.

Some people in this forum have a resistance to reality. A few days, ago, I was criticized for saying that not everyone who works out and loses weigh ends up looking like a fitness model, although that ought to be obvious.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    To combat your worries, wear compression shorts under your regular shorts, this will decrease the jiggly-ness. You may feel like everyone is staring at you, that is how I felt when I started running, its normal. Don't let that stop you, get out there and run! You CAN DO THIS!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If some stranger is shouting mean things while you're out minding your own business, that's because they're mean. No other reason. Not because of anything to do with your bottom. Don't feel bad about yourself because a *kitten* is acting like a *kitten*. That's like being upset because a dog is barking. Dogs bark. *kitten* act like *kitten*. Nothing you do or don't do will change that, so get out there and enjoy your run.

Wear baggy shorts if it makes you feel more comfortable. I'm bootylicious in a pair of tight shorts, but you can't even tell what gender I am in loose ones.

And if you don't want to think about your bottom while running, don't do it after a heavy lifting leg day. OMG... every step was like, "Hello. This is your glutes, asking why you're punishing us so much!"
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I run outside and seen with ppl with larger and smaller in front of me and each time ive thought good for them weather there running or walking or power walking becouse they are at least doing someting.
    If a piece of clothing creeps up and you dont like the way it feels look for something that does not creep up or something you do like the way it feels.
    Myself I had to go with pretty much all polyester material I sweat like a stuck pig and the cotton material just gets way too heavy.
  • loizlane
    loizlane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    so funny, I was just talking about this today!!! I say keep up the good work, focus on your RUN... don't worry about what's behind, keep pounding the pavement in front of you. You got this :) If you still can't knock being a little self-conscious about your toosh in motion, Trendy Top provides good coverage and is sold at Walgreens :wink:
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Compression gear will keep the jiggles in check so you can focus on your workout. You can always wear something looser over them if you don't like the look of them on their own.
  • amarief24
    Options
    :)
  • amarief24
    Options
    I think you should own your butt!! Im self conscious about my stomach when I run, but you know what? The people also running/exercising will applaud you for being awesome, and anyone who judges you should try running instead of watching people do it.

LOVE IT!!! You said it PERFECT
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Meh... it's running. Focus on what's ahead of you, not what's behind. :wink:

This is great advice! However, as someone who has experience in the uncomfortableness of the extra jiggle (physical, not mental), I say go ahead and focus on the behind too, with squats and lunges. Seriously, finish off your run with a series of squats and walking lunges. The more muscle you build, the less of an issue it will be. You could even work in a few days of strength training to target it.

And, I think I will go off in search of some compression leggings. There are these plyometric lunges on my DVD series that are killing me right now! Thanks to all the others for the advice!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I wear a running skirt so no one can see anything that is going on back there. It allows me to focus on what I need to be focused on. I highly recommend them.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Whichever leg you are striding with, flex that side of your butt! I do this while running/walking and my butt has gotten toned very fast. That way, you can still focus on your butt, but in a good way :smile:
  • sig1238
    sig1238 Posts: 16
    Options
    Check out Sweet Spot Skirts.They're wrap-around, one-size-fits-all snap-on skirts designed to shield your backside from the world. I love mine.
  • chivi23
    chivi23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YES! I have the exact same problem. it was so hard to run and keep up with my running buddy because i was always pulling my shirt down and having to stop. Compression capris are amazing. I bought mine at TJ MAXX for $14. best purchase ever. they stay in place, I feel slimmer when wearing them (motivation), and I feel like I can run longer because my muscles do not get sore (it also stopped the shin splints). I totally recommend compression capris. Plus you can wear them with a long tank top or shirt.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Maybe in your world. In mine, there are plenty of vicious people.
    The OP is concerned about feeling vulnerable. I don't think that's nuts. Protecting oneself is not capitulation.

If I have a baby girl, I'm going to teach her that the type of clothing she wears is a determining factor in her safety..