Good heart rate monitors?

Options
13»

Replies

• lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Polar as well. I have one with the chest strap. You get what you pay for with Polar. Likely so with other models. The higher the price point, the more options. Go to a sports store and have them help you decide which model is best for what you want it to do. Go as high $$ as you need to to get what you want, but don't pay for features you are not going to utilize. I find it very easy to use and look at HR or calories or if my HR is on the high side.
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I just got my BodyMedia Fit Link armband and LOVE it. It is so much more than a heart rate monitor. It is like having your own personal sleep study. It logs all your calories burned and you link to to MFP and it will tell you what your calorie deficit is etc....

Def look into it before making any decisions!!

www.bodymedia.com
  • rc322
    rc322 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree, the Polar FT4 works great. Have had great success with it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I just got a Pyle one. I like it.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    i don't think you could change the battery yourself if you wanted to use it in the pool though. Only had mine a few months so not needed to change the battery yet

The polar website actually has directions in how to change the battery yourself.

I read that the older models required a dealer/jeweler to change the batteries. The newer models are DIY.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it! Best investment so far.

Research any models and brands before you buy. Find something that works best for you and your budget. Online is probably the cheapest place to get Polar HRM if you live in the US as Amazon.com tends to have great deals.

Make sure you get one with a chest strap and one that lets you enter your age, sex, weight and height so you get the most accurate burn reading. I had a watch only HRM before and it was annoying and not accurate. You had to keep taking your HR for it to be more accurate. I prefer the chest strap as it takes a constant HR reading. You don't even notice it being there. Mine is just under the strap of my sports bra.
  • Richard269
    Options
    Got a ft 7 had it over a year now and use it about 6 to 8 hours a week and still useing the same battery's !
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Polar. I have an FT7 that I have had now for almost a year. I wear it every single time I workout and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I couldn't live without it! I got mine on Amazon ($70) - definitely the best prices around & worth every penny.

Chest straps are a must if you want a consistent read on your activity. One thing to keep in mind though, is to thoroughly rinse the chest strap & leave it to air dry after every work out, otherwise the salt from your sweat with ruin the electrodes.

I love seeing my avg/max heart rates & knowing I'm pushing myself. It really becomes a mental challenge! Plus I feel much more confident about logging my activity calories vs. the generic info that MFP provides.

Good luck in your purchase! You won't be disappointed! :smile:
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to my Zephyr HxM Bluetooth HRM.
    Great HRM, which hooks up to my phone and can use any number of different apps, few of which sync with MFP.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Polar FT4 yesterday, it will be here on Friday. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
  • cja8781
    cja8781 Posts: 1
    Options
    Polar FT7 works great. It lets you set max heart rate with notification. Also tells you if your in the fat burn zone or fitness. Definitely get one that has a chest strap. The types without strap are pretty inaccurate.
  • saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar RS300x for Christmas and I love it! I had a monitor that was a wrist model and it was wildly inaccurate. Model and brand aside, I think you will find it very motivating. When I look down at my heart rate and calories burned, I feel like I'm making the most of my workout.

Good luck!
  • kippty
    kippty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like the Ironman Run Trainer by Timex. Easy to use and has GPS as well.

http://www.timex.ca/Ironman-Run-Trainer-with-GPS-Technology-SKT5K549L3-P1279.aspx?l=e
  • CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports recommends Timex over the Polar
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    bump
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Polar just contacted me about the FT4 I have that does not work and said I could ship it to them at my expense and they would "repair" it even though it didn't work in the first place. So pleased that Amazon is replacing it free of charge and they are paying for me to return the bad one I received.

No matter what brand you decide to go with purchase from somewhere with a great return policy if you have problems. Even the best brands can produce the occassional lemon, so you want to be able to return it for a replacement not deal with the original manufacturer.

Good luck :flowerforyou: