Three Strikes and I'm Out

Options
I've been on here before...for almost a year and then deleted...then a 3-month stint...then deleted. I am so sick of myself right now. Been massively out of control and now I weigh the most I ever have!!! I am motivated for awhile and then have cheat days which turn into cheat weeks. I really want to exercise, but life gets in the way sometimes and then I end up getting so discouraged. If I had continued in my weight loss journey from before the "1st strike," I would've long been at my goal weight. I feel extremely sluggish and completely out of shape. Need motivation to stay on track and not give up!!!

Replies

• keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should see a therapist.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, deep breaths...

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

So keep it simple, just log. Think you can manage that for now?
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    But you are back on here again, and trying again so you should be applauded for that. Well done you.
    I am in a similar position and for lots of reasons weigh more now than I have for a long time and I'm fed up of it so here I go again and hope (again) that this will work this time despite the rest of the stuff that goes on. Its a beautiful day here and I had a lovely walk with the dog that didn't feel like the chore it sometimes does and it's a positive start. What's gone well for you so far today?
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it like your third strike. This is a new beginning. Log your food. Exercise when you can. Get a buddy system going. You can do this!
  • Lbriggs82
    Lbriggs82 Posts: 58
    Options
    I've done the same thing myself.

But you're back!! And THAT shows your determination and drive. Stick with it and you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

Awesome advice. Baby steps. And this guy knows what he's talking about.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello, we all have stike outs, but need to learn that we need to change how we eat a little bit at a time, I have lost and gained then had gastric bypass and have gained most back, but am losing again, I know how to lose weight, for the rest of my life I know I need to be accountable, I need to log my food daily, I am staying within my calorie count and changing things gradually, after three months, I have lost 17lbs, slowly but surely, battling thyroid cancer and the after affects I am just glad to lose, even if it is slow:) Things I have changed, my eating first, drinking over 8 glasses of water daily, adding healthy nuts to my daily regime, cutting out caffiene (it makes me crave and eat), choosing more fruits and vegetables daily. I want to make these changes for life this time. I know about the exercise, I use to walk everyday, not feeling great all the time, so I said to myself I aim for 3 exercise sessions a week, this week I only got 2 so far. But you can lose weight if you do just alittle exercise. Don't try to change everything at once. Start with your diet, pick a reasonable weigh loss goal of 1-1,5lb a week, don't start with too low of calories. Start measuring all your foods, pick high fibre foods, increase your water and log your food, start with that, Aim to do 2 walks or exercise sessions this week, if you don't get both in, that is ok, try again next week, LOG YOUR FOOD, stay in calories, if you have something your think you shouldn't, log it anyway, and start fresh the next meal, it makes the whole process so much less stressful if you don't make yourself feel guilty. What is your other option, get healthy slowly or keep gaining weight, I choose to get healthy slowly:) You can do this, if you want to add me, I would like that:)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I think you should use the George Costanza method and do the opposite of everything you have been thinking
    and doing... I know this sounds crazy but you should embrace exercise and weight loss.. You are worth it.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great Advice Brett,
    I am now learning after so much weight loss and weight gain, at 44 years of age, I want to be healthy, and it is going to take time, I'm making small changes that are working and not giving up this time:)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You can't go all in on this on day one.

One week try and log everything you eat even if you aren't below your calorie goals - it's best to see what you can change when it's right in front of you. The next week, start swapping lower calorie/healthier things with the things you ate the week before. The next week, strap on those tennis shoes that are in the back of your closet and go for a walk for 30 minutes.

I always suggest newbies don't weigh for a month when they start out. It's easy to get discouraged and not continue if you don't see massive changes on the scale.

Rome wasn't built in a day and this healthy thing takes work. But the good heavily outweighs the bad.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

I LOVE this advice.

I think half the problem some of us have is making this an ALL or NONE thing. You don't have to be perfect! You dont have to have such high expectations of yourself that it makes you freak out and quit.

One day, one choice at a time.

If you mess up, OH WELL. It will be ok.
  • annieraintree
    annieraintree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to just start out with a few changes. Eat as well as you can without being obsessive - in other words make healthy choices but if you want a piece of chocolate cake, just eat it. Tracking calories on MFP is a tool that's all. As far as exercise goes - walking is still one of the best ways to exercise- start small and keep going adding more distance as time goes by - a walking buddy helps a lot. Good luck.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Saw this msg and I think it applies to you:

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down, And you feel like the biggest failure in town. When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy and thin. So What! You went over your points a bit, It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit! It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change. It's learning the skills to get back in your range. It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now. You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow." It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control. To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race. But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip, Just throw in the towel and continue to slip. And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won. Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you grow. Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt. When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit, If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
  • Hamtrish
    Hamtrish Posts: 4
    Options
    I am also the same age. It is so difficult. I have tried everything including giving up and saying this is the way I am supposed to be. That is not true! You can do this! Something is working for me. I can only tell younto try it. Google eating clean! Yes it is more expensive but in the long run it really is not. Let me know what you think
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I know it's an excuse, but life had been pretty hectic for me, as a family member was in the hospital for 7 weeks. Thank God she's better now! I think that gave me an excuse to go sabotage my health. I know...one day at a time. I can do this -- I just lost track. I also need to remember it's a lifestyle change.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Just remember, you can't change what is already in the past but you CAN change what you do in the future. Don't worry about what you have or have not done before, focus on now. I saw some great advice to just start with whatever you can handle for now, just the logging maybe. I agree, it doesn't have to be perfect, you just have to start. Baby steps! You can do it! :smile:
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hell if all we got was three strikes I'd had been out many years ago. Take it from a person that spent most of the last 30 years FAT...you can do it. You now know what you're weakness is. Cheat DAYS!!!! Don't let them in, don't beat yourself up if you're over on a day but don't do the cheat day that runs into weeks. No it's not easy to lose weight and yes some days it seems impossible to stick to it. Think of the end goal though, what will you look like, how will you feel, what will you do with the new you? Keep at it and do your best every day. Before you grab that food think why are you eating it? Is it for fuel or just satisfying a binge? Good luck!!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Listen to this guy! Small changes are much more manageable than an all or nothing approach!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Agree wholeheartedly with the take it one day at a time advice. You'll make lasting changes that stick! Read through some of the success story threads and see what people have overcome.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Set small, achievable short term goals. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you look at a huge mountain to climb. Take it one day at a time--even meal to meal if you have to! Just don't stop fighting. Best of luck.