Three Strikes and I'm Out

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to slow down the rate with which you wish to lose weight?

My mom is on here now. When she started, she set her goal to the fastest loss rate (she figured "I'm fat and tired of it").

It set her at 1200 cals... she was back to bingeing by the weekend. She was hungry and miserable all the time!
    So I said to her... "mom, you've struggled with weight all your adult life. Why hurry to change now? Try something for me... set it to 1/2 a pound per week. See what happens"

The site recalculated her to 1750 cals.

And in two months she has lost almost 20 pounds... and she is so excited because she hasnt felt that she was starving or denying herself to do it!

I've always wanted a six pack. I know this isnt what others want, and that is fine. But here's why I mention it... my friend said if I wanttled one, I had to eat clean and cut out all processed foods, stop the treat foods, etc. I didn't want it that bad, because I didn't honestly think I could change my whole way of eating.

Fast forward three years... a year ago I started tracking my cals on here. Set a goal to lose 1/2 pound a week. I started making minor adjustments to fit within that calorie goal... it didn't take me much change to fit my eating to the new goal. I still eat pizza, frozen meals, ice cream.

But look, I've managed to lose "the last ten pounds", and I have my six pack. Its not because I stopped eating...its because I made slow gradual adjustments and eased into a new way of eating.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    We have ALL failed at this one time or another. I am finally realizing it is not the fact that we occasionally fall that derails us, its that we then completly give up in discouragment. The key is to simply pick yourself back up and plow forward some more. NEVER GIVE UP.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    life doesnt get in the way you chose to allow life get in the way

you have to make sacrifices along the way
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

My mom is on here now. When she started, she set her goal to the fastest loss rate (she figured "I'm fat and tired of it").

It set her at 1200 cals... she was back to bingeing by the weekend. She was hungry and miserable all the time!
    So I said to her... "mom, you've struggled with weight all your adult life. Why hurry to change now? Try something for me... set it to 1/2 a pound per week. See what happens"

And in two months she has lost almost 20 pounds... and she is so excited because she hasnt felt that she was starving or denying herself to do it!

This is also really great advice.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I really want to exercise, but life gets in the way sometimes and then I end up getting so discouraged.

A piece of advise from Chalene Johnson to live by IF a healthier you is your goal.

You have to schedule time for your workout and make it non-negotiable like anything else that is important in your life. :flowerforyou:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

This is also really great advice.
    Totally agree! All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit at the end of the day. It doesn't have to be huge. In fact, the smaller it is, the easier it is to stick with it and the easier it is to later maintain your weight when you get to where you're happy.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You are on the right path of wanting it - now you just have to go for it.
    There are a lot of motivators here but for those that are not, just ignore them. Some people have a vain mouth and can't keep it to themselves. That's their problem, not yours.

Start small - work your way up through mini goals. I dont know how much you have to lose but set your goals up by dividing them into smaller goals to lose weight. Psychologically it helps and makes it seem easier.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Look at your own profile pic.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm back today after almost a month "off" and I feel horrible but i'm back, you're back and I think that's the most important thing! Just take things one day at a time, don't focus on past failures, just focus on right now and changing one bad behavior at a time.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, deep breaths...

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

So keep it simple, just log. Think you can manage that for now?

I would listen to this advice.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I really want to exercise, but life gets in the way sometimes and then I end up getting so discouraged.

A piece of advise from Chalene Johnson to live by IF a healthier you is your goal.

You have to schedule time for your workout and make it non-negotiable like anything else that is important in your life. :flowerforyou:

This also
  • pureirishman
    pureirishman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Take care of today, and tomorrow will work out. Yesterday does not matter any longer.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We all struggle. I would suggest not allowing a cheat meal until you have stuck to at least 21 days of eating clean and healthy, exercising, and logging it all. Make sure even though you are eating clean and healthy except for one meal a week (once you feel like you can handle that, at least 21 days). You should not be starving yourself, keep in mind eating to little is as bad as eating to much. You are back on here and know what you need to do so just DO IT! I know you can! Make sure to exercise on the day of your cheat meal dont make it a rest day too.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    OK this may be a little rough but get over it! Put a real picture up so you can see your progress....get your exercise in and that like someone said before me, this is non negotiable....you say you have a wonderful husband then get his *kitten* to help you! Want more? Add some of us as friends and watch us fail every now and then! As one person told me this is not a diet this is a life change so change it! (Oh BTW I learned all this from MFP friends!)

Add me if you want but read my disclaimer.....this is real life not a cartoon!

Marcello
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Very true! Put exercise on your calendar/to do list just like any other appointment!
  • robcook1974
    robcook1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exercise will certainly help you tone and allow you to burn more calories but it isn't the be all and end all.

I'm having great joy with eating 5 meals per day - I think of my favorite ingredients (healthy ones - not beer :)) and make up a recipe with them. I make sure to add plenty of green veg and to use no sugar or fat in the cooking. Then I divide it down into the number of portions I need to to make it hit 300 to 350 calories per meal. I split it and put them in the fridge or freezer and have one of these 5 times each day. It's great! feels like I'm always eating and I'm hardly ever hungry.

If you want to lose weight by dieting alone I think the trick is not to starve yourself. If you're hungry you'll be tired and then you cheat. Put in a little effort to prepare meals in advance and it makes it much easier. I know that when I'm hungry and cooking I snack a lot from the fridge and before you know it there's an extra 200 calories...
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Yes, some fantastic advice here...start small, log...and maybe set a walking goal. That is what I did...I set a goal of walking everyday on my treadmill for 20 minutes...everyone has 20 minutes..it wasn't always my best effort, life is tiring..but I did it. And that made me feel good, so I upped it...then I met that goal. Soon little victories build into big victories. Build on that. Remember one failure isn't a license to give up and do whatever. We ALL fail, we ALL eat the cake instead of the lettuce at times. Remember that 6 months will come, no matter what, would you rather be a little healthier, weight less in 6 months? Small steps lead to lifestyle changes, not grand gestures.

:flowerforyou:
  • pureirishman
    pureirishman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Take care of today, and tomorrow will work out. Yesterday does not matter any longer.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Take it easy, deep breaths...

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

So keep it simple, just log. Think you can manage that for now?

THIS!!! Do this!!!! Then make little changes one by one.
    My history on here is very similar to yours and it can be a struggle not to beat myself up over it. Typically I start out doing it all by the "book" netting 1200 and exercising to get fit and earn more calories. The problem I have had in the past is working out 6 days a week and forcing myself to take 1 day off. I feel like a failure on that day which I know is REALLY silly. Then I end up getting a cold or the flu and miss a whole week and eat over my calories.... this takes the wind out of my sails and sets me up for failure. I'm trying a new approach this time. I upped my net cal to 1300 (hoping to up it again soon) and I am following c25k which only has me exercising 3 days a week (up from 0 days per week while I was off the wagon so to speak) but because the program is set for 3 days I get over my mind issues about the other 4 days that I don't work out. At this time, I am not doing the exercise for weight loss but a fitness goal instead. I've always liked to run 5k races but this year I am training for a half in Sept. I know that I can't rush my training in the beginning if I expect o succeed in the long run. The point I am trying to get across is this: Find way to tweak the program that will set you up for success, look at the way you approached MFP/weightloss before and identify the how''s any why's that took you off course. Don't try to fix everything at once and be forgiving of yourself. Good luck - you can do this!!!!~
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is here to help and guide but only you are in control of what you do and what you put in your body. It IS hard to stay motivated sometimes, especially when there is a stall in loss. The imprtant thing to do is keep your eyes on the prize. By this I mean make yourself mini goals. At 10lbs give yourself a small treat. Not a dietary "cheat" trea but something that will motivate you to get to your next goal. At 20 make it a little better. Give yourself reasons to stick with it.