Suitable to wear to a wedding?!

Options
124»

Replies

• Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

They are lovely dresses - but for me they come across slightly too casual/daytime, apart from the last which is too short for me & also I'd prefer my arms covered :)

Why don't you run it by the bride and see if she is ok with you wearing that dress... Honestly I don't know why people ask this question over and over again. The attention should be directed to the bride and groom (It's their special day). This is tradition for the bride to wear white or ivory... I don't think anyone other than the bride should wear white or that light cream color. There are a million beautiful dresses out there, why not pick a different color? Or buy that dress but DO NOT wear it for any of the weddings you were invited to. I don't think any of your friends ( the 6 brides) will be ok with you wearing that color. Beautiful dress though :-) And... you really do look great in the navy blue shirt you have in your profile... I'm sure the navy blue dress would look really nice on you.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I actually think it looks nicer in navy. You can see the texture it creates so nicely.

But even if you go with cream and dye it, that would be better than wearing white to someone else's wedding.

Also, don't underestimate what you can do with accessories to create the look you want with almost any dress. I'm talking shawls/sweaters to cover your arms and jewelry to dress simpler things up.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Great dress, just don't get the white one!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'd say the ivory is fine for outdoor morning/early afternoon weddings but I would choose the navy for later afternoon/evening weddings or anything being held strictly indoors.

For accessories, add color with jewelry and keep your handbag and shoes simple so they don't take away from the beauty of the dress. I'd pair this with simple Emerald (or dark green) jewelry, a loose chignon, nude shoes and a handbag in tans/taupes (think classic Coach/Fendi/Gucci colors).
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't think it is ever a good idea to wear white or ivory to a wedding. Gorgeous dress, just not the right color for a wedding, imo
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole "nobody gets to wear white but the bride" thing. Unless you're wearing a white huge puffy princess dress, I don't think anyone is going to mistake you for trying to "show her up". Besides, she's the bride in the first place, so she's automatically the center of attention.

Of course, you know your friend better than I do - if it's something that would upset her, don't do it, but I feel like there are way bigger things to worry about.
  • 5099peperk
    5099peperk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry also a no white to a wedding vote here. Even though they might be your best friends, the bride should be the only one in white unless they ask others to wear white. They may be going the traditional route, but you never know they might find a little white dress they just love and think is perfect for the evening due. Weddings are a very personal and emotional day for the bride, especially when it is one day that cost so much money. I just got married and there are some things that still make me mad about my wedding that I never thought would have mattered.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress, but not appropriate for a wedding. I think especially since you're going to 6 different weddings, you have a lot more people to worry about. It's not just getting the go-head from one bride.

I agree with some of the other posters that the navy dress would suit you beautifully.

Otherwise, why not one of these?

http://www.next.co.uk/x512250s4#847095x51

http://www.next.co.uk/g3858s2#849031g38

http://www.next.co.uk/g382060s3#769162g38
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'd get the navy with pink shoes and accessories....never wear white! (I wouldn't even if not at a wedding you wouldn't be able to even sit for risk of staining it!!)
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Because it's considered taboo I wouldn't wear a white or cream dress to someone else's wedding, let alone several. The point isn't so much your friends, they invited you and I'm sure they'd love to see you at their wedding regardless of what you're wearing, but the point has been made about "the whispers, oh the whispers!". If the majority of the other guests share the opinion of most people that it's considered disrespectful to the bride to wear white there'd be unnecessary cattiness and rumours and drama, you don't need more drama at a wedding! I'd go with another colour :) a casual dress dressed up would even be a better choice in this case I think.

Bride-to-be here who doesn't care if you show up in jeans if it's what you've got. I've heard people advise people to stay home if they don't have something "appropriate" to wear and can't afford something new. Utter bull. I invited you, I want you there, period. (though hope you do the best with what you already have, that's always nice) but if you're buying new probably not the white.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Never wear white to a wedding. Bad, bad, bad juju right there. Unless you want to be glared at and possibly called bad things... then go for it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Even if the bride is ok with it it's likely to upset parents and grandparents. It's just better in my opinion not to do anything that could create ripples at someone else's wedding.

Also worth considering-- if the bride is a good friend she might not tell you that it would upset her even if it would. I'm guilty often of telling people things are ok that I'm really not ok with, because I can be a spineless pushover. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole "nobody gets to wear white but the bride" thing. Unless you're wearing a white huge puffy princess dress, I don't think anyone is going to mistake you for trying to "show her up". Besides, she's the bride in the first place, so she's automatically the center of attention.

Of course, you know your friend better than I do - if it's something that would upset her, don't do it, but I feel like there are way bigger things to worry about.

I agree! A bride that is more concerned about the color of their guests clothing than they are about the fact that the guest came to share her joy is what I'd call a bridezilla. It's really sad.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

I agree! A bride that is more concerned about the color of their guests clothing than they are about the fact that the guest came to share her joy is what I'd call a bridezilla. It's really sad.

There is a large gulf of reasoning between being peeved that someone wore white to your wedding and caring more about that than sharing the day with people they love. People throw around the term "bridezilla" but unless the bride is throwing a hissy fit in public at the wedding, it's the guest in white who is in the wrong.

There are two issues with guests wearing "white". Firstly, that you don't know what type of dress the bride is wearing and could conceivably wear something similar (this actually happened to a friend of mine where her sister in law wore a full-length ivory dress and had a lot of people assume she was the bride); secondly, it stands out in pictures when someone other than the bride is wearing ivory and it can be irksome long after the wedding.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    I am getting married this summer, and I wouldn't really care if someone else wore white. But, it is a fashion no-no.
  • arxantia
    arxantia Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm coming from a different viewpoint but I wouldn't go for white, bride or guest. Why? Well I like to learn and what I've learned is that white USED to be for FUNERALS (Still is in India-at least in Bollywood movies) and widows not black. So, I have a white pantsuit with black accents for the funerals I expect over the next few years (several relatives in their 90s) and am looking for some nice color for when I renew my vows next year on my 30th anniversary. My girls also are now planning on some nice colorful wedding dresses and the invites will read 'No White Allowed, This is NOT a Funeral' lol (can't wait to see how that goes over).

Just a thought from someone who does not necessarily follow the 'normal' herd :) Good Luck!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posts - lovely dress, maybe in one of the other colours?

:)