People minimizing our success

Options
I work from home and only go into the office 1/week. Just this morning someone commented that I looked like I had lost weight (yeah!!!). Another asked how I did it. I said that I had been working out 5-6 times a week and had cut out my snacking and was logging what I ate. Her reply "Oh....anyone can lose weight if they work out that much, I thought you had some great secret". I felt like crap for about a half hour afterwards but now I'm just angry and want to tell her if anyone can do it then get off your fat *kitten* and work out...lose the weight! I'm pretty proud of the fact that I manage to work out almost every day while I'm home with 2 little kids and still manage to fit in work, playdates, preschool drop offs and all that other crap. I know it shouldn't matter what other people think and I'm doing this to make myself healthy but it's hard when people completely don't get it

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I started telling people I don't do anything except drink a gallon of water every day.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Listen, people suck.

They don't want to hear that you ate less and moved more, because that means they could achieve the same results with a little effort. And people don't like effort.

This is why I don't talk about my weight loss to anyone. I'm happy because I look good and feel good and that's all I need to know. Yes, it stings at first, but you'll get to the point where you can just let it roll off your shoulders.

Congrats on your loss!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company.
  • BrendaHurtubise
    BrendaHurtubise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    people like that are looking for the quick lazy way of weighloss.. the "miracles" ....don't even justify her answer by thinking bad.. YOU are doing awesome!!
  • sarahxx68
    sarahxx68 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have people telling me that right now I look like "a head on sticks" which is clearly not true with my weight. Sure, I'm thinner than I was, but in no way enough to warrant that comment. (Just check out my BMI, I'm barely hovering in the healthy range!) I think a lot of it has to do with them not doing something about their weight and wanting to feel better about themselves. My more athletic friends compliment me on my loss and willpower, saying that they know how hard it can be to lose weight and keep it off.

And the person who said they thought you had a "secret" to weight loss....really? There are no secrets. We didn't get big by a mystery, we know what the heck we did, we just has other priorities at the time.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    Yea everyone is always looking for that secret, but doesnt that showoff their work ethic and drive huh. Lol if people dont want to listen to you then let em be, u know exactly what it takes for you and thats all that matters keep up what ur doing.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "Oh....anyone can lose weight if they work out that much, I thought you had some great secret".

When I read that it translated into this in my brain ... "well *kitten*, I don't want to actually work at losing weight. Unless you are taking some stupid-*kitten* supliment that actually tastes like cookie dough or found some new-fangled machine that you only have to sit on for 10 minutes while watching television I don't want to hear it because your success reminds me that I'm lazy"
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    just tell em to buy a shake weight and it allows u too eat however u please
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    "Oh....anyone can lose weight if they work out that much, I thought you had some great secret".

When I read that it translated into this in my brain ... "well *kitten*, I don't want to actually work at losing weight. Unless you are taking some stupid-*kitten* supliment that actually tastes like cookie dough or found some new-fangled machine that you only have to sit on for 10 minutes while watching television I don't want to hear it because your success reminds me that I'm lazy"

^^This^^
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I once had someone blow off my "eat less, move more" with a breezy "oh....I was hoping you'd found a pill or something". At least she was pretty open about her laziness, unlike your friend who seemed disappointed that you're achieving success through hard work!
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My suggestion...stop paying attention to what other people say. It has absolutely zero influence on your outcome. When asked, I respond that I am eating a little healthier and getting a little more exercise...I then proceed to pay no attention whatsoever to the response. Spending time pondering comments from others is the first step down the path to looking to others for your motivation and validation. You are doing this for yourself. Set your goals and milestones and validate your own acheivements. You cannot control how other people will react to your new lifestyle, why bother worrying about it.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 100 lbs over the last two years and I get this a lot. When asked I'll generally say: "I found this new awesome diet called "Eat healthy follwed by getting off your butt and moving!" It seems to be working for me."

This is generally follwed by a confused/annoyed expression in the person I'm talking to when they realize they actually have to work for it.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    when people ask me that i tell the i eat two pounds of raw cranberries a week.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I got so tired of all the "oh, you did the the workout/eat better way" reactions that I started telling people I used Raspberry Ketones and Green Tea. If they want to be rude and want a secret, let them buy the crap and figure out it doesn't work.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Warning:

I am a guy (so my opinions are invalid on all topics)

That having been said..

I think it was the Frech philosopher Jean Paul Sarte who once said, "Screw those people. Let them think what they want to think."
    (quote cleaned up for MFP purposes)

Some people like to minimize the progress of others (in a variety of venues) because it makes them feel better about their own insecurities.

Continue to march.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people really don't want to hear about eating less and exercising more. I just say I started taking fish oil pills.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You are missing out on an amazing business*cough*fraud*cough*opportunity.

Go to the health food store. Buy some empty pill caplets. Now buy some oregano. Fill caplets with oregano. Print a label that says 'do not take if you are allergic to (insert scientific name of oregano plant here). Paste it on a baggy, put 30 pills in the baggy with an instruction pamphlet that reads: Take once daily as part of a sensible diet and exercise program.

If you want to be really nice put MFP's website on there, too, as an added 'free bonus!'.

Take baggies to work and sell them for $99. Profit. (And possibly end up in jail, but that's only because you failed to bribe the right officials first.)
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are missing out on an amazing business*cough*fraud*cough*opportunity.

Go to the health food store. Buy some empty pill caplets. Now buy some oregano. Fill caplets with oregano. Print a label that says 'do not take if you are allergic to (insert scientific name of oregano plant here). Paste it on a baggy, put 30 pills in the baggy with an instruction pamphlet that reads: Take once daily as part of a sensible diet and exercise program.

Hilarious!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Who cares if other people want a secret to easy weight loss? There isn't one. You're doing it the way it works.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    You should feel sorry for that person - she's obviously the type that always looks for a gimmick or shortcut rather than working hard. It's sad when people are like that.