Do you plan to track for the rest of your life?

Options
I am still quite a way from my goal, but already thinking ahead to when I hit it. I wonder, will I always need to track to hold myself accountable? Or will I learn the right way to eat and do so instinctively?

Do you plan to continue tracking when you've hit your goal?

If you have reached your goal, do you continue to track?

Replies

• AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat everything in balance so that I can run as I love running.
    I also plan to live forever. So far so good.
  • nmcfatter
    nmcfatter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe not for the rest of my life, but it has become a habbit.
    It makes me more aware of what I eat.
    It has really helped since I have had surgery...and will be having a second in
    a few weeks.
    I am usually very active. I teach exercise classes. So I know that because the
    Doc told me no physical exercise (ie: sit-ups, running, spinning, etc.) I have to
    keep my caloric intake down.
  • missionimposs
    missionimposs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I plan to track at least untill I get to goal !!!!!!!!!!! and maybe afterwards to keep me in line :bigsmile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am planning to keep it up after I reach my goal. I do not want to gain it back. I used to be able to eat what I want as long as I exercise. Not anymore.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I think (hope?) a lot of it will become instinct. But for now, and I'm guessing for a long time t ime to come, I'll be tracking. It keeps me mindful.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hopefully will have better eating/nutrition habits and true dedication to exersize by the time I get there, but thinking a weekly weigh-in to keep me in line is in order. If I have to lose 5 or 10 lbs, after ditching the 93lbs I am working on now, I figure it will be no sweat!!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Every time I have gotten close to goal.and stopped tracking I put the weight back on, so I'm in this for the long haul.
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    I don't know, I haven't even thought about it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I view this as training to re learn how to intuitively eat once I reach my goal
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    No, at this point I don't even really need to track anymore, as I have a good idea of how many calories are in things. Once I get to my goal weight I plan on monitoring the scale but not tracking everything.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Probably off and on. I lost 35 pounds in 2011, and kept it off by paying attention to my weight and going back to tracking when I went up a few pounds (which tends to happen twice a year: when summers get hot and I slack off on running, and when the holidays hit because NOM!). Came back in January to lose the holiday/travel weight and another chunk o' weight after that.

Should add that once I got to my stopping point last time, I did spend a few weeks tracking at maintenance just to make sure I had a feel for it. Will probably do the same this time.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I plan on watching the scale once I hit my goal weight. If I gain 5 pounds then it is time to start counting calories again.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I kinda know my eating habits and levels needed to stay healthy. I will probably be off and on for life and I am good with that. Time will tell. Tracking really isn't that hard so no biggy if I do.
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What a great question..... I think ill probably continue to track past my goal, its so easily and simple to track on here, it has almost become a habit now!
  • RamaOtster
    Options
    I haven't been using the app that long but the more I do the more I am finding that I already had a good idea of how much I should be eating I was just getting carried away with how much I was eating or eating the wrong things twice a day, so I don't really think I am going to need to keep track forever but I feel like I will until I get to my goal.

I do find that weighing myself regularly is helpful so I will keep doing that for the rest of my life. I think the reason I put the weight on in the first place is that I didn't have a scale so even though I was buying larger sizes of clothes I didn't realize just how much weight I had put on.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm with wolfman; I see this as training. Do I trust myself enough right now to stop tracking and continue this healthy lifestle? Not so much. I'll track until I get comfortable with serving sizes, portion control, etc. The overall calories I'm okay on, but measuring food out is still a big hurdle for me and I use my scale every day.

If I have to track my food for the rest of my life to be the healthy person I'm meant to be, I will. I'd like to give myself more credit than that, however. Maybe in a year from now I won't have to and I can continue to be healthy.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Probably not to the extent that I do now. Yes, if I'm working at specific fitness goals. No, if I'm just going about day-to-day living, but still keeping my overall eating and fitness/weight range in check. It would be more likely that I'd monitor for a week, once a month, to make sure I'm still within an acceptable range.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't plan on ever maintaining so it would be a good idea to track my calories and macros throughout the never ending bulk and cut cycles.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    probably off and on, but I'm sure i'll remain aware of how many calories are in the choices i'm making.