Do you plan to track for the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to do indefinitely. I'll keep tracking my weight and if I notice an increase of 3-5 lbs over a couple of weigh-ins, I'll begin tracking again to keep myself in check.

Oh, and I plan to track whenever I get pregnant so I'm don't gain too much beyond what's necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking for over a year, honestly, I feel at this point I have a great idea of portion control and my body is on a 2-3 hr eating schedule. I do it now to keep in touch w/ my friends and I still have about 15-20 more lbs to go.

Tracking has helped me find my successful areas and areas I need to adjust. It's been a learning experience.
    I know that this is a lifestyle change and not something I intend to stop.

Happy Journey. -Shannon,ATL
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do plan to continue tracking, it's like asking me if I plan to continue eating. I believe it's a good idea to do so because it's when we become comfortable that we slide right back to old habits. :smile:
  • skinnytrinni
    Options
    Yes for multiple reasons. I started tracking to lose weight (it worked!), then I stopped tracking and put weight back on. Also, for the times when I cannot work out tracking keeps me "honest".
    I also think there is a benefit to seeing that you are getting good, balanced, and adequate nutrition. :)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    YES
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Once the dust settles I'll try to be less formal and more hand wavy about it, and see what happens.

If I start gaining again I'll consider the experiment ended and go back to proper tracking. If it turns out I've developed a good intuitive grasp of what I should be eating then I'll keep on that way.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes. I gained 100lbs over 30+ years. This is an excess of 28 calories a day. 28 extra calories a day for a year is 3 lbs, 5 years 15 lbs, etc. MFP provides a tool that can mitigate this problem so I plan on using it. After I get to maintenance will I miss a day or 2 logging? Probably but that should be the exception.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Track as in counting everything here? Not after I have reached my former weight.
    BUT... I will definitely check closely my portions and calories anyways. Don't want to go back to where I was.
    I have to think that less active = less food. No more seconds for me (Damn it's hard when there's pasta involved!)
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I plan to track as long as it takes me to pound a moderated healthy relationship with food into my thick head. So, yeah, probably the rest of my days....LOL.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking about a week ago because I felt I was obsessing over calories too much instead of listening to my body. I don't suppose this would work for everyone, but I lost most of my weight without tracking. And I've maintained a healthy weight for most of life without it.

I don't think I'll ever be "done", though. I will always think of something that needs improvement.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance since August and I still track daily. Mostly to stay accountable to myself... Also because I'm hypothyroid... I lost weight the year after I was diagnosed, then gained almost half of it back by stopping exercise and watching what I ate. I've cut back my workouts from 6 per week to 3 per week back in October and I'm still maintaining. COULD I do this without calorie tracking, just doing the exercise? Quite possibly, but, at this point I'm used to the daily tracking and it's not that big a deal to me. There are days here & there when things don't get tracked and I don't stress about it... But, overall, tracking has helped me stay in line. I'm hopeful that at some point I'll feel confident enough that I won't need to continue daily tracking, but that time has not yet arrived. :smile: You just have to find the balance that works for you.

ETA: Also, I like to track to keep an eye on my macros and my sodium.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    As of right now, I know I will have to even when I reach goal. I have been on here for 375 days as of today and honestly, While I have learned control for the most part, I know I will gain it back if I don't have something staring at me.
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    Definitely yes. The one thing I've truly learned through all my years of yo-yo'ing is there is no end to this journey when you reach your goal. This is a life long, lifetime committment.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The very second I reach my goal weight I plan to dump all of my positive habits and go right back to drinking Pepsi.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't plan on ever maintaining so it would be a good idea to track my calories and macros throughout the never ending bulk and cut cycles.

^^ This. As long as I subscribe to a BB type lifestyle which I'm thinking I"m a lifer at. Plus I actually find when I don't log I eat less.. weird..:huh:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I like to say that I'm looking forward to getting to my goal so I can... keep on doing exactly what I'm doing now. Sure I'll make adjustments, and maybe not log on weekends or something, but there were reasons I was overweight. Lack of awareness of what I'm eating is one of those reasons.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as it is still there when I am older. I would then just track what I eat to maintain my calories, once I get to my goal weight.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hopefully not for the rest of my life, but I know that even once I reach goal, I will still need to track. I know that I got this way by not watching what I eat and eating junk food, I know that I still have a overindulgent nature and will probably not lose that, so it will be a long time before I feel comfortable enough to not track.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to stop anytime soon. MFP has made it tons easier than I ever thought it could be. It's a habit now.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    :smile:
    I view this as training to re learn how to intuitively eat once I reach my goal