MORBIDLY OBESED, SCARED, LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

Options

Replies

• mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just start with today. Do one good thing for yourself that you don't undo (go for a walk but don't eat more just because you exercised). Tomorrow, just one thing again. As time goes on, it will get easier and you can always ask for help for whatever interests you as the next step!
  • Michael74Czyzewski
    Options
    you say your miserable when you eat healthy, but aren't you more miserable when your fat and eating fast food?
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice I have received and that I will share is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store! Everything you need to eat healthy is around the aisles! Most of your unhealthy and processed foods are in the aisles!
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As soon as you jump on the new healthy eating & exercising.... DONT STOP keep pushing!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was 383 and 5'5.5"... you aren't alone! You've made an awesome first step. Don't feel overwhelmed - just do the best you can each day. Make good, conscious, healthful eating choices and work yourself in to walking 5-10 minutes a day and go from there. You can do it :)
  • carolynkaykerr
    Options
    If you find you are too miserable with the changes you are makin,. start making the changes a little at a time. Eat the fast food less often. Or cut soda down to everyother day or half of what you would normally drink in a day. Just examples. If you aren't satisfied you won't stick it out, then that is so discouraging. Good luck! And again, take it in baby steps.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I know its hard..I love fast food too.. I just joined here..IF you track your calories..Then you can still fit in a cheeseburger fro m Wendys..just no fries. A small burger is 350 calories. Its takes a little time but you will get the hang of it..You will feel great when you have energy and health..Thats my motivation..:smile:
  • garyinmi
    garyinmi Posts: 2
    Options
    Try cutting out pop if you drink that it will help alot. I drink alot of water now and my secret is MIO I buy that and put it in my water
  • snowflakeheather
    snowflakeheather Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP support network! You are so worth the work you're about to put into getting healthy. I'm on a journey to lose over 100 pounds, and I know it's overwhelming. But start by making a few changes at a time. Commit to a lifetime of making better choices, not of dieting. Make some goals....how much water will you drink today? How will you increase your movement today? I started with 10 minutes of very light exercising. Do some arm swings. Walk back and forth through your house. Allow yourself to be human. Start by cutting down on the fast food, and limiting it to once or twice a week to begin with? Maybe start by simply committing to tracking your food.....every bite....for one week. Then go from there. As you begin to see your progress, you will find it easier to leave the old ways behind. You are so worth it!!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Healthy food doesn't have to taste like crap. You need to change your relationship with food, especially healthy food. Take some cooking classes! It'll expose you to a really wide range of cuisines and you'll discover healthy foods that you love. Then do some reading about making recipes skinny - clean eating magazine, gracious pantry, and skinny taste are all great resources. Once you know how to "skinny" any recipe, you'll find that you don't have to sacrifice taste, just tweak it a little. There are so many great alternatives out there to junk food. You just have to find them!

Wishing you all the best.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I advise you start by making healthier versions of your favorite foods at home. For example a hamburger with french fries: Hamburgers can be made with lean burger and whole grain buns. I like the skinny buns; a regular bun was always too much bread for that flat little burger fast food places give you. Potatoes can be baked in the oven for something very similar to french fries.

And so forth.
  • WINDYBEE45
    Options
    1ST DO NOT BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF. LOOK AT IT THIS WAY YOU ARE STARTING OVER AND WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES AND BAD CHOICES. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT ON THIS JOURNEY JUST STEADY AND DETERMINED. WE ARE HERE BECAUSE OUR WEIGHT NEEDS ADJUSTMENT . WE ARE HERE FOR YOU AND JUST REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO DO THIS FOR YOURSELF AND NO ONE ELSE...I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT AND IF YOU HAVE A BAD DAY AND GO OVER ON YOUR CALORIES DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP.....YOU CAN DO THIS......I HAVE OVER 100 POUNDS TO LOOSE AND WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER FROM HERE ON OUT...

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS PAL

WINDY
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    everyone here has given you good advice. i think you have done an amazing thing by joining MFP and making the choice to start on a journey towards healthier living. it is a choice! and even though you will find it difficult to stick to it sometimes, just remember that it IS a journey, and there may be stumbles along the way, but you pick yourself up and continue on your way. in the end, your life is worth it.

i used to eat fast food for lunch every single day. it really is an addiction. treating it as such might be the key to getting away from it.

good luck, and we are all here to support you!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    just remember: No matter how many times you fall off the wagon, it's still a win when you get back on.

that's the trick, the real trick....no quitting...this is not a journey, there is no point a to point b and then you are done....

because once you hit point b and have hit goal weight you have to stay there....and that's a whole new thing.

so fall off? get back on....

never quit....

don't beat yourself up, just take a deep breath and do better the next day....

drink lots of water, move your body and track your food....if you seriously honestly track your food, you will find it within yourself to cut out foods....you really will...it will surprise you what the values on some foods are.

don't be hard on yourself and don't make this miserable. It's NO GOOD if it's miserable....that is non-sustainable.

and you want to be here for a good time AND a long time.
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here too!! Feel free to add me, also looking for support.

You've made the first step, so give yourself some credit. Start with little changes, so you don't become overwhelmed. Look on the internet for recipes (which is what I did) to give yourself an idea of the healthy things out there, that you can make which are tasty, and don't have all the bad stuff that fast food does. Be careful of any pre-packaged foods, even the ones that claim to be healthy, aren't always. Read Labels!! The rule of thumb that I follow is buy all fresh foods, meat, vegetables, fruits, etc, and make the food from scratch, that way you know exactly what is in it. Save the fast food, as an "occassional" treat, but not a main staple. If you have no control over it, then just keep away from it completely. Anyways...hope that helps. :wink: Michelle
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Same advice as the others, change one thing at a time, don't try to be perfect in all areas now. I started here on Jan 2 and am still changing things little by little. I drink my 8 glasses of water every day - never got even half of that before, I haven't had a Pepsi or Coke in the past three weeks, I'm cooking more - a major miracle for me. Work on doing something different today and start making those lifestyle changes little by little. I've found it easier than I thought I would.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can do this because the hardest parts are admitting to it, starting it, and asking for help - all of which you've already done. Yes I agree with everyone else pretty much. Start small. Even if it's just by reducing amounts of cola and fast food at first. At first for exercise start with walking....even if you start and you have to take breaks... even if you can only last 10 minutes. You will be surprised on how fast the body responds. Everyday or every few days you will probably be able to do more. Make small achieveable goals. I use the blog on here as a diary to keep my goals in check. You can add me I would love to support you and your healthier lifestyle.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I AM 353 POUNDS AND I RECENTLY STARTED MY HEALTHIER JOURNEY 3-7-13. TO BE HONEST WITH U I'M A FAST FOOD JUNKY AND TO ME IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE MADE ALOT OF ATTEMPTS TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES; BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CRY FOR HELP!! I AM EMBARRASED THAT I LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL TO THE POINT WHERE IM THE SIZE OF 3 HUMAN BEINGS. CHOOSING HEALTHY OPTIONS ARE VERY DIFFICULT!!! EVERYTHING U PICK UP IS BAD AS HELL EVEN THO IT PORTRAYS TO B HEALTHY. TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF CALORIE COUNTING, PORTIONING, NO FAST-FOODS, BUT IT'S AN OVERWHELMING CHALLENGE. I'M EATING HEALTHIER BUT I'M MISRABLE. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER TIPS & AVENUES.

You don't have to stop fast food to lose weight.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Well, we are here! One that has really, really helped me is to make my house a 'junk free' zone. NO junk food here ... if I am to eat something 'bad' for me, I have to make the conscious effort to get in my car and go to get it. That gives me several chances to STOP myself and let my willpower take over ... most of the time it works. Another rule is NO DRIVETHRUS ... nope, seriously. Too much temptation for the wrong foods. I know that there are a few good things to be had at restaurants with drivethru windows ... but who are we kidding?? How often do we end up with a TRULY HEALTHY MEAL and NO junk?? Eat before you shop so you aren't starved when you PASS BY the candy and soda ... note that I capitalized pass by?? Don't stop please lol. Just a few changes I have made that are making changes in my life for the better.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You are on your way if you are asking for help. I will say what others have. Make changes little by little. If you try and go all or nothing, you are likely to quit because it IS hard. But you are worth it. The junk food craving will pass. You will start to feel better physically and mentally. Keep at it. Read success stories when you are having a hard time. A take it one day at a time. One hour at a time at the beginning if you have to. You can do it.