MORBIDLY OBESED, SCARED, LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

Options

Replies

• OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Right after the birth of my son I weighed 345lbs and was miserable. As of today I am 239lbs and feel amazing, I still want to lose another 50lbs but it is a work in progress.
    Feel free to add me for support!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. There are great people on here.. Great Success Stories..

Send out requests for friends. I see many people who have related with you on this response. Request them to be your friend. It helps when others can relate or just even be there for support on a good day, a bad day, a so so day.. a real day.. :)

Good Luck and remember, one day at a time.. :smile:
  • Adriennerp720
    Options
    79 POUNDS!!! Wow!!! Can I add you as my friend too??? LOL!! I need all the help I can get!!!
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting out on your journey to health,

My advice, for what it's worth, is to log on every day, look at all the success stories and make small changes to start with. I don't belong to a gym, but I walk every day. I don't have weights, so I use a couple of tins. When I feel hungry I have glass of water first... then I eat. MFP is about finding a new, healthy way to enjoy the foods you like.

YOU CAN DO THIS and we can support you.

Good luck and set small achievable goals, like 10lbs the first month. This may help you on your way.

I was 300 lbs... and I'm on my way, too!

Jan :0)
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me.
  • eleanorgrant
    Options
    Dont be scared, your biggest step was opening yourself up and getting started, and reaching out is the best way to get over your fears. It can be overwelming at first buttttttt..... it gets easier day by day and soon, youll be able to look at food and know exactly what the count is and really be able to get the most of your daily calories. :) Let me know if you need help.:bigsmile:
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WOW . . . don't you already feel like you made the right choice? As I was reading all of the posts, I couldn't help but get motivated. What you did by going on here and seeking out help was a MAJOR first step. It took courage, it took strength, and it took you looking in the mirror and saying enough is enough.

All the advice is good . Even if you don't do anything different today, just read everything thru a couple of times, let it sink in and tomorrow decide you are going to change ONE thing about your eating habits, for the better and stick with it. Then when you are ready, add another, and then another.

All I can say, from my experience, is that I am a sugar and carb-a-holic. I can't get enough. I could easily live on it. I did go thru what I considered withdrawal symptoms, BUT within just a couple of days the cravings were gone. I NEVER thought I could go on a diet where I didn't have bread with every meal, but now I don't miss it like I thought I would. I know that just sounds so simple, but in actuallity it is. Your body craves what it's used to taking in. That's true for drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, sugar, carbs, fastfood, whatever our vice may be.

And, like so many folks have said, you have to be patient and forgiving of yourself. You didn't get this way over night, and it's going to take a while to get where you want to be. BUT, the journey is so worth it. I read in one of my health magazines that it takes you two weeks before you start to notice a difference in your body, it takes 4 weeks for your close friends and family to notice and it takes 6 weeks for the rest of the world. And from my experience, everytime I've tried to lose the weight, that is pretty much the time table.

I would recommend you work on making sure you get your 8 glasses of water in - the more you take in the more you pee out! And then decide what one thing you want to work on and GO FOR IT! And when you are tempted or depressed or just need a kick in the pants, come back and read all of these posts - they are GREAT motivation! I will be praying for your strength, guidance, and courage to make the right choices and to be patient with yourself. I hope you have a strong support system at home. That is another very important thing. If for some reason you don't, you do have us!

Take care, and be sure to keep us all posted as to how you are doing. Please feel free to add me as a friend!

Jean :heart:
  • DuChene2012
    DuChene2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are so brave to be so honest with us strangers as well as with yourself! I am a chocolate junkie and so I understand your dilemma. It can be very difficult to find healthful foods when you're trying to learn and understand what to look for, what to avoid. In my profession I teach my patients how to read labels, I custom-build meal plans, and I navigate them through the grocery store. Label reading is very key, and it's a GREAT beginning. I am willing to offer assistance to you if you'd like. I'm a Registered Dietitian and a health coach, so if you'd like some coaching or encouragement I'm here for you! :happy:
  • TheOperaGhost
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but I believe this.

God bless you,

O. G.

I spent decades believing that I couldn't do anything about my weight. One day I saw the myfitnesspal app recommended, read a little bit about how this all works, and understood that if I were to just stick to the numbers, I'd lose weight.

I have.

If you record faithfully what you eat (measuring's a pain, and having to say "No" to seconds can be whine-inducing!) and don't go over your daily goal (at least not too much), not only can you still eat your favorites, but you'll lose weight. (A tip: Activity will either speed your weight loss or add to the number of calories you can eat. I prefer the latter. :))

You *will* lose weight.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Education is power. I found years ago when I was losing weight that I was very uniformed about my choices. I read the book "Stop the Insanity" by Susan Powter and while I know the low-fat craze is over, it's an amazing book to help open your eyes about marking, the make up of foods, and how this doesn't have to be a miserable process. I highly recommend it (it's out of print, but you can get it in eBay).

Good luck!
  • Ravenshope
    Options
    Welcome!
    Remember, if you track your calories you can eat anything you want and still lose weight, so you don't need to give up junk food. This has to be sustainable for you. You don't have to eat foods that make you miserable.
    Good luck!:smile:
  • leah0nicole
    Options
    I'm 270lbs, I find it very hard too. I've been trying to do all or nothing for a year - it doesn't help me. Some like to go cold turkey... feel free to add me. Hope we can find support with each other xxx
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was the size of 3 people one year ago. I too had fast food every day. Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary on MFP, and I am less than 20 pounds away from where I want to be. It can be done. I no longer eat fast food, pop, or chips. I pack my breakfast and lunch every work day. If you can not totally eliminate fast food, make better choices, but know that most processed foods are loaded with sodium and sugar, and fried foods are very high in calories and fat.
    Best of luck to you! You can do this!

^^^THIS^^^ I cut out sugar three years ago and wheat about a year ago--it totally cut out any tendency to binge. Since no sugar/no wheat is a broom that sweeps a LOT of junk food away, it has been pretty easy to adopt a healthier lifestyle and I have lost weight very slowly (I needed to do that because of health issues). You may be able to lose a bit faster. I was morbidly obese when I started and am now somewhere close to just "overweight". You can do it. I never thought I would see my weight decline to this level again. I want to lose another 30 pounds of fat. I'm trying to build my muscle at the same time but that is difficult to do at a food deficit (the reason why I needed to keep my weight loss slow). At my age, I am battling sarcopenic obesity and that battle requires that one stay VERY well-nourished while exercising a lot more. So far, so good. :smile: Good luck!
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I AM 353 POUNDS AND I RECENTLY STARTED MY HEALTHIER JOURNEY 3-7-13. TO BE HONEST WITH U I'M A FAST FOOD JUNKY AND TO ME IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE MADE ALOT OF ATTEMPTS TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES; BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CRY FOR HELP!! I AM EMBARRASED THAT I LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL TO THE POINT WHERE IM THE SIZE OF 3 HUMAN BEINGS. CHOOSING HEALTHY OPTIONS ARE VERY DIFFICULT!!! EVERYTHING U PICK UP IS BAD AS HELL EVEN THO IT PORTRAYS TO B HEALTHY. TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF CALORIE COUNTING, PORTIONING, NO FAST-FOODS, BUT IT'S AN OVERWHELMING CHALLENGE. I'M EATING HEALTHIER BUT I'M MISRABLE. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER TIPS & AVENUES.

I started in 10.12, I maxed out my weight in early '12 @ 275 lbs.

I was a junkfood junkie, I knew where every Mickey"D's, Wendys. BK between work and home, I'm ashamed now to think 3 or 4 days a week I would stop on the way home, then come home and eat supper. It was a viscous circle

Late in '12 a health issue came up that my doctor was suggesting, heavily< surgery. I'm 47, to young for major back surgery.

I began, with the blessings of my doc a lifestyle change. Notice I did not say diet, diets are really made to someday come off of them. When we do, many times we go back to eating exactly as we did before, the weight comes back. I've done that.

No, the change you make needs to be permanent, you need to rethink everything.

The first thing I did was get my calories under 1500 a day, many days right around 1200, I cut ALL of the processed sugars, white flour, white rice, white potatoes.

I eat times a key, for me this is key, I have 300 calories meals and two 200 calorie snacks

Whole grains, whole foods, avoid added sugar, have a "couple" of pieces of fruit a day. You have to watch whole wheat products, many add corn syrup. This is additional sugar you do not need.

It's been a journey, I initially lost 35 pounds very quickly, within 5-6 weeks, then I feel into a 2-3 lb a week routine.

Now that I am in a gym, I am beginning the process of increasing my calories, so as to not starve my body and burn muscle instead of fat.

You have to listen to your body and what it's telling you, if you fall of for a day, don't fret, get back on the horse tomorrow and keep at it. Don't let the guilt about it, eat away at you, just move past it.

You're here looking for help, that is a GREAT thing, being able to admit you need and want help is a HUGE step in moving forward on a new YOU!
  • georgiathestar
    Options
    Hi I've just started out as well but I understand what u mean about calories being on healthy food. The better for your body the more calories! I know. Lot about weight lose as my mum has done very diet there is practically an I currently doing th Duncan diet which ha really works do her. It's no carbs so is had but it works an it stay of an helps you get. New mind set in terms of eating. Add me as a friend I'll be willing to help with question on the Duncan diet and giving support as I have had to help my mum for years!!
  • mikester66
    mikester66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp. I started 7 weeks ago and weighed 355. I got advice from a nutrion and fitness coach. She suggested Clean eating . Which is try to eat all natural no processed foods . After 30 days most of my craving are gone. I am down 20 lbs and joined here to keep track of calories and get support. That's my story and the ending is a longs ways away but I will make it and I am sure you will too:-)
  • vilo_pjd
    vilo_pjd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This thread should inspire you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/897136-i-ve-lost-228-pounds-lost-in-12-months

Fast Food Junkie Turned Good!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is how I got started when I was feeling overwhelmed by it all. Maybe it will help you as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/905540-newbie-starter-weight-loss-plan-for-people-50-pounds-over

Good luck!
  • jimian60
    jimian60 Posts: 21
    Options
    I AM 353 POUNDS AND I RECENTLY STARTED MY HEALTHIER JOURNEY 3-7-13. TO BE HONEST WITH U I'M A FAST FOOD JUNKY AND TO ME IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE MADE ALOT OF ATTEMPTS TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES; BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CRY FOR HELP!! I AM EMBARRASED THAT I LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL TO THE POINT WHERE IM THE SIZE OF 3 HUMAN BEINGS. CHOOSING HEALTHY OPTIONS ARE VERY DIFFICULT!!! EVERYTHING U PICK UP IS BAD AS HELL EVEN THO IT PORTRAYS TO B HEALTHY. TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF CALORIE COUNTING, PORTIONING, NO FAST-FOODS, BUT IT'S AN OVERWHELMING CHALLENGE. I'M EATING HEALTHIER BUT I'M MISRABLE. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER TIPS & AVENUES.

You may not be able to "exercise" like you see people doing it on TV... but you can climb stairs or steps... start small and increase it as you go.. This lady lost weight using stairs
    see article==> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/08/i-lost-weight-kim-fraley_n_2618297.html
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the starting line! ***HUGS*** The best thing you can do for yourself right now is log EVERYTHING you eat. Once you see the major nutrient/calorie difference between fast food and homemade food, it may be easier for you to make better choices.

Also, if you can, try to eat more meats and veggies, and less carb and dairy. As you'll see when you start logging, carb and dairy are very high in calories. I had a hard time reaching 1200 calories when I did the Paleo Diet (no carbs or dairy). I ate a TON of chicken on that diet. I never went hungry.

And be careful with the message boards here. Most people are either extremely friendly and helpful, or they're at the very opposite end of that spectrum. Don't let the *kitten* get you down!

***hugs again*** Take it one step at a time! Slow and steady wins the race. :D