New Study: Processed Meats

CoachReddy
CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
Because we need another mega-thread today.

this is my new favorite study, just published a couple days ago: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63

"One of the largest studies to address this question, published online March 7 in BMC Medicine, found a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality. This was particularly true for cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), but was also true for cancer."

"The risk for cancer death was 43% higher and the risk for cardiovascular death was 70% higher in people eating more than 160 g/day"

Now obviously, not many of us on these boards eat 160g of processed meat, but if that raises the risk by 43% and 70% for cardiovascular death and cancer, respectively, then it's possible that lower amounts can still raise your risk.

Science.

Replies

• judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member

this is my new favorite study, just published a couple days ago: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63

"One of the largest studies to address this question, published online March 7 in BMC Medicine, found a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality. This was particularly true for cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), but was also true for cancer."

"The risk for cancer death was 43% higher and the risk for cardiovascular death was 70% higher in people eating more than 160 g/day"

Now obviously, not many of us on these boards eat 160g of processed meat, but if that raises the risk by 43% and 70% for cardiovascular death and cancer, respectively, then it's possible that lower amounts can still raise your risk.

Science.

You're just a fear mongering nut job trying to steal everyone's right to eat unhealthy processed meats. Stop it or I'm going to cry.
  • CoachReddy

Science.

You're just a fear mongering nut job trying to steal everyone's right to eat unhealthy processed meats. Stop it or I'm going to cry.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Ok, I'll tell my Italian grandparents who are over 90 and cancer free to stop eating so much sausage, pepperoni and salami.

Genetics.
  • CoachReddy
    Ok, I'll tell my Italian grandparents who are over 90 and cancer free to stop eating so much sausage, pepperoni and salami.

Genetics.

are part of the equation, but not everything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I have seen this study put into context in another thread. Did not pay much attention as I don't eat meat.
  • CoachReddy
    I have seen this study put into context in another thread. Did not pay much attention as I don't eat meat.

fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that it goes to show that just because you can fit your macros doesn't mean you can eat "anything" you want? 160g of protein fits most guys' macros just fine.
  • Sarauk2sf

fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that it goes to show that just because you can fit your macros doesn't mean you can eat "anything" you want? 160g of protein fits most guys' macros just fine.

How about we do a deal - you actually read and learn what the philosophy behind IIFYM means, and then we can chat. You keep bringing up points that show you do not understand how it is applied. I think it would solve a lot of the mis-communication that happens.

Here is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Key point:

"When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake."
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Here we go... First page
  • CoachReddy

How about we do a deal - you actually read and learn what the philosophy behind IIFYM means, and then we can chat. You keep bringing up points that show you do not understand how it is applied. I think it would solve a lot of the mis-communication that happens.

Here is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Key point:

"When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake."

I get that. I really do. And I'm totally behind that school of thought the way you just described it.

the problem is that many people use IIFYM to mean "I can eat anything I want all day as long as it fits my macros" and they DON'T eat many whole foods at all. just look at their diaries.

I know YOU understand it and YOU follow it correctly, but you don't agree that the above is actually the case quite often?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    tagging. want to read the study later.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    bump
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I do recall, especially in males, that the study also indicated increased alcohol and tobacco consumption in the processed meat eaters.

This type of data is so encompasing it's pretty hard to pick out red meat as the guilty party without taking into account other lifestyle factors.

This is far from conclusive, but usefull none the less.

I will stick to my "work my *kitten* of in the gym and eat in moderation" approach until we have something that shows a definitive link.

I agree with this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFv_5vF0vs0
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Did you read the whole study?? Were a set number of people eating 160gms a day? I noticed in your quote that the study showed an "association". Obviously it would state that there is correlation not causation in this matter. What does "the largest" mean?!? Is it like the commercials where you can honest say "the best" without actually comparing? How large was the study?

No I have too many questions to agree with the OP
  • Sarauk2sf

Key point:

I get that. I really do. And I'm totally behind that school of thought the way you just described it.

the problem is that many people use IIFYM to mean "I can eat anything I want all day as long as it fits my macros" and they DON'T eat many whole foods at all. just look at their diaries.

I know YOU understand it and YOU follow it correctly, but you don't agree that the above is actually the case quite often?

Not with the people I see follow it to be honest. I only know of a couple of people who do not watch their micros, but they do watch their fiber. BTW - when I say 'watch' I do not mean track them, as there are far too many, but I mean make sure they get a generally balanced diet.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    how is this news?

/snobby vegetarian post
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Science.

ZrXw2pk.gif
  • CoachReddy
    I do recall, especially in males, that the study also indicated increased alcohol and tobacco consumption in the processed meat eaters.

This type of data is so encompasing it's pretty hard to pick out red meat as the guilty party without taking into account other lifestyle factors.

This is far from conclusive, but usefull none the less.

I will stick to my "work my *kitten* of in the gym and eat in moderation" approach until we have something that shows a definitive link.

I agree with this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFv_5vF0vs0

Check it. From the study:
    A set of core questions posed at recruitment that was similar in all participating centers ensured comparability of non-dietary questions and assessed information on education, medical history (including history of stroke, myocardial infarction, and cancer), alcohol consumption, physical activity, lifetime history of consumption of tobacco products including smoking status (current, past, or never smoker), type of tobacco (cigarettes, cigars, or pipe), number of cigarettes currently smoked, and age when participants started and, if applicable, quit smoking [18]. Height and weight were measured in all EPIC centers except for France, Norway, and Oxford, for which self-reported height and weight was recorded. In Oxford, self-reports were improved by using prediction equations [19].
  • CoachReddy
    how is this news?

/snobby vegetarian post

I eat meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    how is this news?

/snobby vegetarian post

How is this a vegetarian post? - it's about processed meat.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Tagging to read later.