New Study: Processed Meats

Options

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    All meat raises your risk for heart disease and cancer. Veganism, especially raw veganism, decreases that risk dramatically if cancer/heart disease isn't hereditary.

Please provide proof.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    "One of the largest studies to address this question, published online March 7 in BMC Medicine, found a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality. This was particularly true for cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), but was also true for cancer."

"The risk for cancer death was 43% higher and the risk for cardiovascular death was 70% higher in people eating more than 160 g/day"

Science.
    Plagiarism. The unattributed quotes are not from BMC Medicine but from Shelley Wood and Roxanne Nelson's article at Medscape Medical News. http://bit.ly/Yff8Zb

The actual report conclusion is this, and this is from BMC: "The results of our analysis support a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases, but also to cancer."

As every scientist knows, association is not the same as causation. It reports there is an association, and it is a moderate one.

i've posted that link multiple times in the thread.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I actually think you're a smart guy behind all the gifs. :tongue: Is there an issue with the study in your mind?

I don't do much "science" but this....
    Conclusions
    The results of our analyses suggest that men and women with a high consumption of processed meat are at increased risk of early death, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases but also to cancer. In this population, reduction of processed meat consumption to less than 20 g/day would prevent more than 3% of all deaths. As processed meat consumption is a modifiable risk factor, health promotion activities should include specific advice on lowering processed meat consumption.
    [/b]

.....seems to indicate that you're using the most inflammatory numbers you can find. I'm still searching for 73% higher and 43% higher. But I guess "possible link to a 3% increase in cancer" doesn't stop traffic, huh? I'm not saying 3% incident rate is nothing, but when you add in the variables of genetics, environment, and exercise, I'm more than willing to roll the dice to keep eating Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese.

I think according to the definitions of this study that Suns quoted, your Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese (and my occasional McDouble with cheese) would not qualify as "processed meats." The list did not include ground beef. It did include mince meat, but that's a pickled meat product.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    TL;DR.

... *runs off to stuff face with delicious food that FITS MY MACROS!*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    yep, further study is suggested, but it's good data and significant, and worth thinking about.

Worth thinking about, yes. Enough data to post a thread about "my favorite study" and suggesting in the OP that eating a bunch of processed meat causes an increase in mortality that's highly significant?

No.

You way overstated the data contained in this study in your OP. Big time. Leave the analysis to others.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I didn't even see an attempt to correct for BMI or energy intake, and they didn't even look at things like body fat.

Is it a surprise that fatter, more out of shape people tend to eat more red meat? I think this would be more damning if they were able to establish a link between mortality and processed meat consumption even after factoring in BMI.

The fact that they had access to BMI, physical activity levels, and calorie intake for these people and included no statistical analysis of the cohort looking at those factors as they relate to mortality says a lot to me.

In other words, my take away here is "yes, people who eat lots of processed meat tend to die faster, but not because they eat lots of processed meat. It's because people who eat lots of processed meat tend to be fat and out of shape."

Uh oh...
    Of 511,781 apparently healthy participants at baseline, we excluded individuals with a ratio for energy intake versus energy expenditure in the top or bottom 1% (n = 10,197) and those with self-reported cancer, stroke or myocardial infarction at baseline (n = 29,300). We further excluded participants with unknown smoking status at baseline (n = 23,716). The analytical cohort included 448,568 participants.

half a million people.

i think it was a fair cross-section.

Excluding the top and bottom 1% of such a large population is a common way to eliminate a bunch of outliers. It's absolutely not a statistical method to analyze the results in a way that corrects for different factors.

it's as good a study as any your side has ever shown me re: things like aspartame.

it's a good study.

you don't have to agree, but it's science, and it makes you no different from me when I disagree with your studies.

I didn't realize I was on a "side."

And yes, it's a good study. It clearly establishes a correlation between high processed meat consumption and mortality. It does not even remotely establish causality, nor does it even attempt to investigate confounding factors.

yep, further study is suggested, but it's good data and significant, and worth thinking about.

If by "thinking about" you don't mean necessarily changing my eating patterns because there's no clearly defined reason to, then I'd agree.

Please expand why you think it's significant. Significant in terms of indicating a need for more research? Sure. Significant in the sense we can draw useful conclusions from it as individuals? Not so much.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I actually think you're a smart guy behind all the gifs. :tongue: Is there an issue with the study in your mind?

Conclusions
    The results of our analyses suggest that men and women with a high consumption of processed meat are at increased risk of early death, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases but also to cancer. In this population, reduction of processed meat consumption to less than 20 g/day would prevent more than 3% of all deaths. As processed meat consumption is a modifiable risk factor, health promotion activities should include specific advice on lowering processed meat consumption.
    [/b]

.....seems to indicate that you're using the most inflammatory numbers you can find. I'm still searching for 73% higher and 43% higher. But I guess "possible link to a 3% increase in cancer" doesn't stop traffic, huh? I'm not saying 3% incident rate is nothing, but when you add in the variables of genetics, environment, and exercise, I'm more than willing to roll the dice to keep eating Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese.

I think according to the definitions of this study that Suns quoted, your Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese (and my occasional McDouble with cheese) would not qualify as "processed meats." The list did not include ground beef. It did include mince meat, but that's a pickled meat product.

up for interpretation, but this is the quote: "(all meat products, including ham, bacon, sausages; small part of minced meat that has been bought as a ready-to-eat product)"

does that include burgers? i think so... but i won't guarantee it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Worth thinking about, yes. Enough data to post a thread about "my favorite study" and suggesting in the OP that eating a bunch of processed meat causes an increase in mortality that's highly significant?

No.

You way overstated the data contained in this study in your OP. Big time. Leave the analysis to others.

I quoted articles and the study. i didn't do analysis other than to say it's possible it could affect us in smaller than 160g amounts.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    [I've posted that link multiple times in the thread.
    You didn't include it in the original post, unless you went back and edited it. That's the one I read. As a writer, I notice things like that.

My point stands: Its own conclusion, as opposed to the opinion of the authors who wrote about the study, is that it shows only a moderate association. Not something around which I'm going to arrange my dietary guidelines.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.

I quoted articles and the study. i didn't do analysis other than to say it's possible it could affect us in smaller than 160g amounts.

Your words:

"if [eating 160g of processed meat a day] that raises the risk by 43% and 70% for cardiovascular death and cancer, respectively, then it's possible that lower amounts can still raise your risk. "

You imply that the study has established a dose-response relationship, which is one of the Hill criteria to establish causation. The study did not do that. You are concluding that large amounts of processed meat cause cardiovascular disease and cancer, and conclude that even small amounts of processed meat raise your risk.

This is absolutely wrong. None of the data in this study does any of that in any way whatsoever. I'd say you have a lot to learn about research before you even attempt to make such a statement.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Conclusions
    [/b]

up for interpretation, but this is the quote: "(all meat products, including ham, bacon, sausages; small part of minced meat that has been bought as a ready-to-eat product)"

Let's go through it. Hamburger is not ham, bacon, sausages or minced meat. One could argue that it is a "meat product" but then you'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from any other cut of beef. I also seriously doubt that the mere act of grinding the beef would lead to a health issue considering we pretty much do that when we chew our food. Perhaps if they add additives similar to that added to bacon and sausage, say nitrates?

Of course, we still have the issue of correlation vs. causation here as has already been mentioned.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just to be on the safe side, I'm going vegan.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    aw damn, you mean eating a 5 pound log of salami isn't good for me? Who'd of thunk it? Eating products made of leftover tidbits and squished into some round shape isn't healthy? Carp!

bunch of regular GD geniuses up in here.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

No.

Your words:

"if [eating 160g of processed meat a day] that raises the risk by 43% and 70% for cardiovascular death and cancer, respectively, then it's possible that lower amounts can still raise your risk. "

You imply that the study has established a dose-response relationship, which is one of the Hill criteria to establish causation. The study did not do that. You are concluding that large amounts of processed meat cause cardiovascular disease and cancer, and conclude that even small amounts of processed meat raise your risk.

This is absolutely wrong. None of the data in this study does any of that in any way whatsoever. I'd say you have a lot to learn about research before you even attempt to make such a statement.

the first part was me repeating the quote, and the second was me hypothesizing, not concluding ANYTHING. I said "it's possible" not "it's a sure thing"

that's why i feel further study would be interesting and is probably necessary.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Conclusions
    [/b]

Mince meat isn't a common food in the US. Here's what it looks like. It's kind of like ground pickled sausage made of beef.

Beef_Minced_meat_Halal__zpsf88fc253.jpg
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    strip down your boxers and fight it out. who ever is left standing is right by default.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

<3 I can help you with this... should I come over with a big order of collards and mashed potatoes and some tofurky???? I make some mean collards. And i'll make a special mushroom gravy for your tofurky so it isn't too dry!

...It has good macros....

and I'll hook you up with some vegan pomengranate chocolate chip ice cream! YUMMIES!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

<3 I can help you with this... should I come over with a big order of collards and mashed potatoes and some tofurky???? I make some mean collards. And i'll make a special mushroom gravy for your tofurky so it isn't too dry!

...It has good macros....

and I'll hook you up with some vegan pomengranate chocolate chip ice cream! YUMMIES!

I don't feel comfortable allowing tofurky into my home. :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Of course, we still have the issue of correlation vs. causation here as has already been mentioned.

nutritional science (and most science in general) can't PROVE causation. it's simply a number of extremely high correlative studies that allows for something to be considered "proven"
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    aw damn, you mean eating a 5 pound log of salami isn't good for me? Who'd of thunk it? Eating products made of leftover tidbits and squished into some round shape isn't healthy? Carp!

bunch of regular GD geniuses up in here.

this is what happens when someone suffers from a rare ailment called "Common Sense."

Unfortunately, it isnt' very contagious.