orthorexic actors/shakeology coaches
    teenage orthorexic shakeology coaches
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A CT surgeon and a cardiologist are very different things

Dr. Oz is a CT surgeon

I'm not sure what your point is.

Cardiologists don't learn about nutrition even though they go through extensive schooling and training to be in the health field. That's all she was saying.

Nutrition is preventative medicine. Think of it that way. How often do you go see a doctor to prevent a cold/illness from happening (excluding vaccines)?
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Chris Farley came to my mind.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Only one...people who post on the forums. :laugh:
  • lotushead
    Options

Yeah MFP posters (if not MFP all together) should have just been number one on that list ;P
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Not to be a dissenter, but I actually do trust my mother, a former RN/journalist who is now retired but spends huge amounts of time researching...well, just about everything. Including nutrition and health.

Her advice: Eat more vegetables and healthier portions. And move your butt.
    It's been working for me...so far...

:flowerforyou:
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your best friend.
  • lotushead
    Options
    Not to be a dissenter, but I actually do trust my mother, a former RN/journalist who is now retired but spends huge amounts of time researching...well, just about everything. Including nutrition and health.

Some moms are more qualified than others. There.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Very cool and good for you. A voice of reason. Refreshing.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Doctors in general, not just cardiologists. My doctor told me that I should limit my carbohydrate intake to 15g per meal which is completely insane according to my nutritionist who is also a registered dietitian and certified diabetes instructor.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    MFP forum posters
    anyone on television
    anyone who has or is marketing a "diet" device, book, video...........
  • lotushead
    Options
    Doctors in general, not just cardiologists. My doctor told me that I should limit my carbohydrate intake to 15g per meal which is completely insane according to my nutritionist who is also a registered dietitian and certified diabetes instructor.

Perfect example. Doctors are busy people! Nutrition isn't their area of expertise. Surely there are RD's that are MD's and MD's that are RD's (and even more qualified people). These are probably the ones we can and SHOULD trust when it comes to nutrition.

Another example: My mother survived cancer after chemo-therapy and completely changing her diet. Her doctor never pointed to nutrition. Who's to say what deserves more credit.

Everything with a grain of salt.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Cavemen.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Nice post. I appreciated it.

If I stereotype (and I shall here), of the groups/entities on that list, elite athletes would far and away be the most reliable group of those 10. As a general rule, part of their athletic success is based on exceptional intuition that can't be taught; you just need the right lineage.

Agreeable. But athletes endorse products too. I think the gist of what her point is on the athlete example is intended for people who hear about someone like Michael Phelps, whom has been rumored to eat 12,000 calories per day and swim 80,000 meters, and automatically assume that if they swim a few laps, they should be able to eat that whole footlong they love at Subway (which he endorses by the way). Little stuff like that. :)

Right: the whole purported 12,000 calorie thing. If the recreational swimmer is that dopey, all the advice in the world won't help them. Thanks again, lotus: I was amused.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.UT6g16KsJjU
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    A CT surgeon and a cardiologist are very different things

Dr. Oz is a CT surgeon

Good point. Still belongs on the list though.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    People creating Documentaries showing one sided propaganda
  • lotushead
    Options

If I stereotype (and I shall here), of the groups/entities on that list, elite athletes would far and away be the most reliable group of those 10. As a general rule, part of their athletic success is based on exceptional intuition that can't be taught; you just need the right lineage.

Agreeable. But athletes endorse products too. I think the gist of what her point is on the athlete example is intended for people who hear about someone like Michael Phelps, whom has been rumored to eat 12,000 calories per day and swim 80,000 meters, and automatically assume that if they swim a few laps, they should be able to eat that whole footlong they love at Subway (which he endorses by the way). Little stuff like that. :)

Right: the whole purported 12,000 calorie thing. If the recreational swimmer is that dopey, all the advice in the world won't help them. Thanks again, lotus: I was amused.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.UT6g16KsJjU

hence, my usage of "rumored"
    ps- it's not impossible to eat 12,000 calories. I really wish I could find the forum post in here of the guy who wrote a success story after eating his last 15,000 calorie day. Darn ****ty search function!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

hence, my usage of "rumored"
    ps- it's not impossible to eat 12,000 calories. I really wish I could find the forum post in here of the guy who wrote a success story after eating his last 15,000 calorie day. Darn ****ty search function!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSlIrjxnDo
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Yeah MFP posters (if not MFP all together) should have just been number one on that list ;P

Definitely :laugh: