Biggest loser intersting facts

Options
124»

Replies

• CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm confused..... I read the article you posted http://www.today.com/id/40423712/site/todayshow/ns/today-entertainment/t/biggest-loser-where-are-they-now/#.UT6tcxzrzp9 and the first thing I noticed was that it only had up to season 11, they are currently in season 14. Second I only counted maybe 10 of the contestants out of the 57 listed that had gained a major portion of their weight back . You have to keep in mind that their "final weight" is what they got themselves down to in order to try to either win the show or the at home price and not necessarily a weight they were comfortable with also they may have gained muscle weight since then as well (mainly the men) So for them to only gain 20 or even 40 pounds back once they are living in the "real world" again when they had loss 100+ pounds during the competition should be looked at as a victory and not defeat! IMO
    This..
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Tough love is about giving somebody else control of you. To lose and keep it off and stay healthy YOU need to be in control of you. From the little I've seen, they don't teach you that. Our society in general is not about teaching you that you are in control of you - so it's not surprising.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm confused..... I read the article you posted http://www.today.com/id/40423712/site/todayshow/ns/today-entertainment/t/biggest-loser-where-are-they-now/#.UT6tcxzrzp9 and the first thing I noticed was that it only had up to season 11, they are currently in season 14. Second I only counted maybe 10 of the contestants out of the 57 listed that had gained a major portion of their weight back . You have to keep in mind that their "final weight" is what they got themselves down to in order to try to either win the show or the at home price and not necessarily a weight they were comfortable with also they may have gained muscle weight since then as well (mainly the men) So for them to only gain 20 or even 40 pounds back once they are living in the "real world" again when they had loss 100+ pounds during the competition should be looked at as a victory and not defeat! IMO
    This..

Yup, also went to the site and as you scroll, the majority are in a normal-healthy weight range. Not sure where the total number of 6 came from. I still think the general consensus is that the show is not a realistic portrayal for those working towards healthy weight-loss…and in the end, it's a reality show looking for ratings, so yeah.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    reading this.. i see A LOT more success stories than regression stories..
    i think many of the replies to this thread were based on the OPs post.. not on the actual story
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Success can only be measured by the people themselves. IMHO, the show is a bit like receiving something for "free". I think people do best when challenged and they make it on their own...finding a way and fighting through the ups and downs. We usually treasure what we have much more when its something we went after and gained on our own through our own ingenuity, perserverance, and hard work. Not denigrating the contestants at all...it looks to me like they have done a fantastic job and goodness knows it cannot be easy losing that weight. Just playing with some pop-psychology here.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I do believe a lot of the winners (well finalists) lose a lot more than they really need to in order to try and win the money. Hey, if I had gone on the show and had to humiliate myself by letting the world know my weight and standing on a scale in a sports bra and compression shorts, I would do everything I could to win as well so that it would be worth it. That being said, to gain back 10 or 20 pounds after the show may very well put them into a healthy, sustainable weight.

I watched this show when it first came on and stopped when it really just became a big commercial (Don't want to eat...chew Extra sugar free gum instead). I started watching it this season only b/c I used to work with one of the people on it and had to laugh at last night's obvious Progresso Soup commercial. Anyway, please go online and vote for JOE to make it to the final three. He is a great person and regardless of what you think of the show in general, he has worked very hard these 11 weeks!

And Danni's 19 pounds of muscle gain...INCREDIBLE!
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I watched a few episodes here and there, then I watched one season of the show from start to finish. It was the one where the contestants were in pairs and they brought in 2 new trainers. Anyway, I was really put out with all the drama--whether it is completely manufactured or real. Not to mention the fact that the show could be presented in half the time, if they wouldn't do all the stupid weigh-in "teasers" before every commercial break. If the display on my scale flip-flopped up and down like they pretend the one on that show does, I would CUT someone!

The most disconcerting thing is the fact that they don't focus much on the food & nutrition angle--especially considering poor eating habits are mostly to blame for anyone with weight issues to the magnitude of most of the contestants.

That being said, the thing that is most intriguing to me about any weight loss challenge/effort is the different dynamic of the contestants. One one hand, you have people who were at a "normal" weight at some point in their life, understand good eating habits, etc. They just got lost somewhere along the way. On the other hand, you have people who have been heavy their entire life and know nothing of healthy living.

In looking at long-term success, I would love to know whether the above characteristics have any impact on the outcome.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Now if they could just figure out a way to have a weight loss show involving full time working single moms who have to live on a budget that would be awesome since at the end of the day almost all of us have to work, have some form of home obligation to tend to daily and are not overflowing with cash to buy our food. But maybe some TV exec is already working on that. Who knows?

^^^^^ :glasses:
    This !!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish they would focus on more for the viewers is the diet & nutrition. They focus A LOT on exercise, and it seems the only time they focus on nutrition is when they have a product to endorse. It would be interesting to see what they typically eat in a day and how many calories they are consuming. I know, food doesn't sell as much as screaming and throwing up and having breakdowns...but it's something I think they should focus on more especially if they are trying to inspire us normal folk.

BTW: Danni fan here, too! I was so happy that the two I wanted in the finale made it :)
    I agree- diet and nutrition is something they should focus on....also going over healthy weights for size and gender etc ....how to fit it all in when you live a normal hectic life....and as a knock off they should do some investigative reporting on the crap the FDA allows in our food and why everyone is getting overweight and unhealthy....

praying for Danni too!! :)
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Danni was/is an athlete hiding under that pudge. Did you see where Jil described her more as a "workout buddy"?

Whoa - high praise coming from Jillian!!!

Go Danni! :)
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went through the contestants...and most of them have kept the bulk of their weight off - which under the circumstances of the show VS. real life...im still impressed.

:D And its good to see Matt and Suzy are still together, plus 2 kids!

I hope Danni wins this season! :D
    [/quote

^^^^^^^This!!! If you read the article you will see that most of them not only kept most of the weight off but also kept their exercise habits!!!]
  • Treker6
    Treker6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow. Very interesting. I love that show too. I don't have even an hour to work out per day, not 8 for sure.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've never watched The Biggest Loser til this season, and I have to say, I enjoy it. I take it for what it is - entertainment. I know all the drama and crap is probably all manufactured, and the overly dramatic weigh-ins I shake my head at - along with the infomercial-like obvious product placement in every episode. But It IS 'reality tv' after all. But I like the positive inspiring message - and I like seeing the positive transformations (even though I don't think it is healthy to lose that amount of weight in such a short time, and the stress adjusting to life afterwards). ANd it's great to hear that so many manage to keep the majority of weight off afterwards and continue with a healthier and fitter lifestyle ...and as long as the viewers take away motivation and inspiration to lead a healthier more active life, i'm all for it! :)

I'm also a huge fan of Jillian Michaels. :D
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think the show is more to help people than the actual contestants in the long run...