Any cyclists here?

Options
As an avid cyclist one of the best things about losing weight was how much faster it made me. I was always pretty quick on a bike and when younger could hang with the AX riders even though I was around 225~230. When that ballooned to 260, it just wasn't any fun anymore, so I stopped for a few years. When I started seriously riding again in 2008 (about 3K miles per year), the weight just didn't come off, and it wasn't until I started with MFP last year and began eating correctly that the weight came off.

Now at 188~190 I have all of my speed back plus more. Never a climber, now I can hang with most as we go up 10, 12 & even 15% grades. Talk about positive re-inforcement. As long as I can ride I will never fear gaining the weight back, because just a few minutes on the bike gives me all of the incentive that I need to stay thin.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Cyclist here. I used to think that cyclists could get away with eating large amounts of cake and drink copious amounts of coffee but I since found that isn't the case!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been known to ride a bike once in a while :-)

I've had that problem too: think that I'm training a lot so I can eat whatever I want. If I don't track what I'm eating, it's really easy to eat too much and gain weight.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yup :wink:

North Yorkshire, UK here :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    :smile: I turn a crank now and again...
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am an avid cyclist (mountain bike mostly) and I also thought I could eat a crap ton of food since I was biking so much..........it wasn't until I joined MFP last summer and started tracking my calories that the weight came off. I feel so much faster, especially on the climbs. I don't know the exact number but I read an article in a bike magazine about gaining so many seconds of climb time for every pound you lose.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike. I dropped 13lbs before last season and was much faster. The 1 race that I did in 2011 I finished 47minutes faster in 2012. I am hoping with even more weight off and a new bike this year I can drop that even more....
  • MikeA2479
    MikeA2479 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started back on the bike this year...trying hard to loose the pounds and just get back to being fit. Must admit this site has helped. Turbo training alot at present but will be back out on the roads lighter and fitter soon. Heres to more weight loss, and faster sessions!!
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Started back on the bike this year...trying hard to loose the pounds and just get back to being fit. Must admit this site has helped. Turbo training alot at present but will be back out on the roads lighter and fitter soon. Heres to more weight loss, and faster sessions!!

To me, the positive affect of improved cycling is 100 times more rewarding than are the compliments on my new look. Nothing like dropping the guys who used to drop you. :-)
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ...I've had that problem too: think that I'm training a lot so I can eat whatever I want. If I don't track what I'm eating, it's really easy to eat too much and gain weight.

Cyclist here, and the above hits close to home for me!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Road & Mountain yma
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Fun group of riders around here. Enjoy!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If everyone else is doing it...
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Checking in!

Head over to the groups "Bicycling Road and Mountain" and "Century Plus Cycling", lots of good ol cycle talk going on over there and lots of nice challenges to keep you on your toes! :wink:

Enjoy!
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm a commuter, but I love it all the same.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    mountain bike here!! yayyyyyyy!!!
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    Yes! I'm a competitive triathlete so I'm a speedster. I average between 22-25mph during races.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've been a cyclist all of my life. Now I'm almost 60 years old and it's my main form of exercise. I LOVE IT!
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options

This! Bought a new Trek FX 7.4 this past September. Winter interrupted the riding, but now I'm ready to roll.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first century ride this summer - hoping my weight loss helps with speed and hills too.

A lot cheaper than spending £4000 on a carbon fibre bike too. :smile:
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "road bike" here! I love it! Keeps me in shape and feels great after I ride!