Women - exercising during that time of the month?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Do you do it? How do you get comfortable?

I'm the painful cramps / 2 maxi pads and still leaks through kind of person. I cramp for 3 days around ovulation and 5 days around AF. Every single time around that time, I start cramping 20 minutes into my workout. Yesterday I stopped to take an ibuprofen and it wasn't too bad so I kept going, today is day 1 so I took some ibuprofen one hour beforehand, and still managed to start cramping (bad ones) after 20 minutes. I had to stop. Now after a shower it's slightly better.

It's so frustrating! I thought exercise was good for pain. I've been working out pretty much every day (minus 2) for 30-45 minutes for 5 weeks now. Surely my body would be used to it by now? Today was my day 'off' anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I don't want to go through the same thing for the next 2 days again. Last month wasn't too bad but I had to stop early a couple times too because of cramps.

How does it work for you?

Replies

• TainaLeirmoe10
    TainaLeirmoe10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't really have that problem, but you should try eating a banana. Potassium will go a lot further than ibuprofen. Eat it about half hour before you start, then you will be good to go!
  • TainaLeirmoe10
    TainaLeirmoe10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another thing you might want to consider is getting on birth control. Bc helps make that time of the month less painful
  • coffeecoco83
    Options
    That used to happen to me too, Francl27, and I always heard the same thing - that exercise was supposed to relieve some of the pain and tension associated with cramps! My cramps were too bad, and flow was too heavy that I had to ask my OB/GYN for a solution. He eventually put me on Depo-Provera; no more cramps, no more period... I know this isn't a solution for every woman, but maybe you can speak to your OB/GYN about solutions for making your TTOM more bearable. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had bc years ago but I have cholesterol issues and it made it way worse... so trying to stay away from them. Sadly, lol.

I'll keep the banana in mind though!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you're getting cramps at regular intervals - you said monthly - you should look into what you are eating or what exercises you do before you get those cramps. I think the suggestion of birth control is a little inappropriate for an exercise-related issue and that's not withstanding the moral issues.
    With love,
    Burt
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *hugs* Honey I feel for you. I get cramps for a day or two that are debilitating so I just don't do anything if I don't feel up to it.

Have you spoken to your GP about this. Sometimes the contraceptive pill can be helpful to those with painful periods. I do not use this as I am married and do not like the idea of tablets messing with my hormones but I can recommend some natural alternatives. Starflower Oil is very good for PMS and much better than Evening Primrose Oil, Also Magnesium Citrate with B6 if you can get it. Magnesium ielps muscles to relax and can also help you sleep.

I found some information here about Magnesium if you would like to check out my recommendations:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/pms.html

:) xox
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    No problem for me. I still run. I still Zumba. I still do whatever workout I have planned. If I need a painkiller I take one & get on with it. No problem. I guess I'm built tough.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't. Two or three days isn't making or breaking my goals. It's also nice to have a few rest days.
  • monicamaz
    monicamaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My advice would be drink a lot of water and take advils (and eating a banana is a good idea too)! I also get those painful cramps, but I still do at least 30-45 minutes of workout and I feel better afterwards. Hope this helps! :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If you're getting cramps at regular intervals - you said monthly - you should look into what you are eating or what exercises you do before you get those cramps. I think the suggestion of birth control is a little inappropriate for an exercise-related issue and that's not withstanding the moral issues.
    With love,
    Burt

:noway: Really? :noway: :huh:
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Honesty, I just push through. I'm like you. I have major cramps to the point where I throw up sometimes. I couldn't really take a whole week off every month, so I take a midol and suffer through it. It can help the pain, but not always. Some of us are just unlucky with this.
    I feel your pain :cry:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer too badly so I can exercise as usual and kick mother nature in the butt.

However I know some people that take Apple Cider Vinegar to help relieve menstrual symptoms. It can help relieve cramping, PMS and bloating, which may well all be due to it being a good source of potassium.

http://naturalnutritionnews.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/problems-with-pms-and-menstrual-cramps-try-apple-cider-vinegar/
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    With love,
    Burt

Epic troll
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My pic wouldn't work. Ignore this.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would also like to say that your diet can seriously affect your periods and how heavy they are. Refined sugars make my PMS a lot worse!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    With love,
    Burt

:laugh: Don't mind him, he's just being silly.

I do not exercise on my period. I can barely walk on my period. Take the rest and don't hurt yourself further, if that's what you need.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think the suggestion of birth control is a little inappropriate for an exercise-related issue and that's not withstanding the moral issues.
    With love,
    Burt

With all due respect, this is a medical issue, not just an exercise related issue. Birth control pills are used for treating a variety of painful conditions of the female reproductive system, including painful periods. Many women take the pill for hormonal regulation, not birth control.

@OP Grand plies always worked for me, before my doctor prescribed something, because I suffer from a painful condition of the female reproductive system, of which painful periods were a symptom. But that's no guarantee that they'll work for you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up and do it!

I found exercising before, during and after my period actually reduced cramping, even reduced the amount of days that I would have my period. Nothing better than going from 5 days to 3 days.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I work out during TOM all the time. I've read, and not on the internet, that crunches are actually good for cramps. I don't cramp much to say whether or not it works. I would definitely say continue your goals regardless. if it's too much, then stop. Maybe during your menstrual lift light and do cardio that isn't too strenuous. Remeber that lifting heavy will increase blood flow, so take it easy on those days.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best thing to relieve cramping. Maybe just walk more??

I don't take days off for my time of the month... only from swimming during that week though.... :wink: