Women - exercising during that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I still get out there and try to exercise during that time. I find that I'm usually pretty fatigued and I don't burn as many calories but I still get out and do it. Try to make your rest days on your heavy flow days. It sucks but I feel better when I get done.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I never cramped and not as heavy as you on my first and second days, so I'd also recommend talking to your GP about options/birth control that wouldn't raise your cholesterol. If not for cramps, to at least lighten your period to make it more bearable
  • ppmuisc
    ppmuisc Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to get cramps that made it hard to do a workout when I was younger. At some point someone suggested bananas and milk to me. Drinking more milk and eating more bananas works for me.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Tons of replies but here's my take. I used to use my cycle as an excuse for skipping the gym. Now, I go despite the cramps and blood flow. I am a cramper and am very heavy for a few days. Work through the pain! I do skip the classes because I want to avoid too much jumping and hopping around. So just frequent the restroom if you have to. Drink more water on those days too!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    In all my years of dying with cramps, I have never heard of the banana suggestion. Thanks.

OP: I do get (and have now) extremely heavy and cramp ridden periods. Like other posters said, I usually pop a couple Naproxins about 30 minutes before I go to the gym.

I found this article a minute ago after checking about the banana/cramp correlation.
    http://www.healwithfood.org/menstrualcramps/foods.php
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Tons of replies but here's my take. I used to use my cycle as an excuse for skipping the gym. Now, I go despite the cramps and blood flow. I am a cramper and am very heavy for a few days. Work through the pain! I do skip the classes because I want to avoid too much jumping and hopping around. So just frequent the restroom if you have to. Drink more water on those days too!

Great response.

A lot of women are posting that they don't workout whether to make an excuse that it's a rest day or that they have cramping... if there is an opportunity to reduce cramping, even reduce the length and flow of your period, I would take it over sitting on my butt.

I don't eat bananas so I can't really comment on whether that works or not but I haven't needed any.. I just workout and get it done. I'm positive that I have had uterine fibroids both before and after having kids.. I virtually have zero period related pain since working out in January and like I mentioned earlier, my period length went from 5 days to 3 days. Great reason to suck it up and workout!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Main issue is it should be fine if the pain doesn't kick in when I try to workout. I'm often on a limited schedule because of my kids and most of the workouts I can't do when they are up (they're too little to leave them alone for one hour still). I managed to do another workout today though, just not what I had in mind.

We'll see tomorrow...
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i'm mildly amused by all the judgy mcjudgertons who assume that, because their cramps & bleeding were bearable and improved during exercise, everyone who doesn't work out during their period is just making excuses. yes, a lot of women might use it as an excuse but you're in no position to make sweeping judgements about all women. not all the pain in all women is caused by the cramping, as there are many complications and issues that can also lead to severe pain which won't be eased the same way.

to an unlucky few with serious gyn issues, you may as well have just posted ''what do you mean you're not working out because you broke your leg? wimp! i worked through my calf cramp and it totally got better!''
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Meh.. drama.

Anyway, I know a friend of mine who has MS and Endometriosis.. if she can exercise now during her period, so can all of you. I don't know if I'm supposed to feel sympathetic but I think maybe if one tried working out, they would see their symptoms disappear. It works. Just like exercise considerably improves mood.

Try not to think negatively about that time of the month, mind over matter. 90% of those who said they don't workout during their period are just using it as an excuse. I used to be one of them and I'll probably be one of very few who admit it. Take a shower, pop whatever pills you need to take and just workout.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I recently got an IUD and had KILLER cramps and felt like I could not work out because it hurt so so bad. BUT I found that I could do Pilates without agony. Don't know why. but it might work
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    you're so right! i'm sure nobody else is stoical and works through any other pain or health issues if this one beats them.
  • JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I usually start cramping from 2 to 5 days before and for at least 2 to 3 days into. The cramps that run down into the legs and the back and up into my breasts. Caffeine and Sodium increases the bloating and that increases the cramping, which sucks because the craving for caffeine anything is crazy wild! My FNP just put me on ibuprofen prophylactically for 3 days before my period to try to reduce the cramps. I also squeeze lemon into my water, it's a natural diuretic. When I was a teen the doc put me on a mild diuretic and that helped a lot. I'm not into birth control, wouldn't mind another little one if it's meant to be, so I am hoping this new regime works well.

Oh and adding, it might be related to your age and hormone level. My mom was an early menopauser and while I am just 40, I am not far from my mom's age. This can increase your periods, make them really heavy, increase the flow, and make them irregular. No matter what all the posters who posted how wonderful their periods are when exercising, don't buy into that. Your body is your body and is different from everyone elses. You should talk with your GYN or PCP. Oh and I was a bleed through 2 super tampons and 2 super maxi pads at one time and it was incredibly embarrassing on kickboxing as I was running to the bathroom and trying to get to back out to my car was horrible! So you do what feels right to your body for the few days you feel miserable and I hope you find something that works!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Oh and I was a bleed through 2 super tampons and 2 super maxi pads at one time and it was incredibly embarrassing on kickboxing as I was running to the bathroom and trying to get to back out to my car was horrible! So you do what feels right to your body for the few days you feel miserable and I hope you find something that works!
    before i found the right meds, that was me! i could use a diva cup + the biggest size of towel and still have my clothes soaked through in half an hour during my very worst days. there were days where i literally could not leave the house. no lifestyle changes or meds made a jot of difference to that until my doc tried me on the tranexamic acid. now it's like having a normal period again! i can just get on with my life.
  • dawnerika
    dawnerika Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had horrific pain and cramping since my cycle began at the age of 12. I'm now 48. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis in my early 30's and had surgery for it once. The bottom line for me, is that I have at least ONE day every month where I am incapable of movement w/o pain...or because the flow is ridiculously heavy. Or both. You might want to see your Gyn to rule out any underlying issues. Even a tiny cyst or fibroids can cause debilitating pain. Best to play it safe and see your doc. As for me - I don't w/o on that one day or two.....I owe it to my body to not overstress it when it is hurting and trying to recover. Sometimes some very lowkey stretches and light yoga help with the cramps though. And Advil.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Do you do it? How do you get comfortable?

I'm the painful cramps / 2 maxi pads and still leaks through kind of person. I cramp for 3 days around ovulation and 5 days around AF. Every single time around that time, I start cramping 20 minutes into my workout. Yesterday I stopped to take an ibuprofen and it wasn't too bad so I kept going, today is day 1 so I took some ibuprofen one hour beforehand, and still managed to start cramping (bad ones) after 20 minutes. I had to stop. Now after a shower it's slightly better.

It's so frustrating! I thought exercise was good for pain. I've been working out pretty much every day (minus 2) for 30-45 minutes for 5 weeks now. Surely my body would be used to it by now? Today was my day 'off' anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I don't want to go through the same thing for the next 2 days again. Last month wasn't too bad but I had to stop early a couple times too because of cramps.

How does it work for you?

Although I can get some pretty ucky cramps sometimes, I usually can push through the 5 minute period of cramps I get when working out, and after that I feel good with 0 cramps long after I'm done working out. Have you tried pushing through, or is it too painful? If it is, I would suggest thinking about seeing a doctor and getting put on BC or another method to help with your cramps.

Try eating potassium rich foods, like bananas, and even heating pads. You could even get those sticky ones (not icy-hot, the ones that actually get hot to the touch) and put on while you workout to help the cramping.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i'm mildly amused by all the judgy mcjudgertons who assume that, because their cramps & bleeding were bearable and improved during exercise, everyone who doesn't work out during their period is just making excuses. yes, a lot of women might use it as an excuse but you're in no position to make sweeping judgements about all women. not all the pain in all women is caused by the cramping, as there are many complications and issues that can also lead to severe pain which won't be eased the same way.

to an unlucky few with serious gyn issues, you may as well have just posted ''what do you mean you're not working out because you broke your leg? wimp! i worked through my calf cramp and it totally got better!''

Amen sister.

Like I said -- for me? the worst of my cramps were worse than natural childbirth with a 9 pound baby. Childbirth was a DODDLE after all the practice I had breathing through the pain of cramps. Yet I'm not telling all of you to go get off your butt and have a baby with no meds.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Amen sister.

Like I said -- for me? the worst of my cramps were worse than natural childbirth with a 9 pound baby. Childbirth was a DODDLE after all the practice I had breathing through the pain of cramps. Yet I'm not telling all of you to go get off your butt and have a baby with no meds.
    god yeah! my youngest was nearly 11 pounds and labour was a breeze compared to my periods.

i love my meds. big time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I've had horrific pain and cramping since my cycle began at the age of 12. I'm now 48. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis in my early 30's and had surgery for it once. The bottom line for me, is that I have at least ONE day every month where I am incapable of movement w/o pain...or because the flow is ridiculously heavy. Or both. You might want to see your Gyn to rule out any underlying issues. Even a tiny cyst or fibroids can cause debilitating pain. Best to play it safe and see your doc. As for me - I don't w/o on that one day or two.....I owe it to my body to not overstress it when it is hurting and trying to recover. Sometimes some very lowkey stretches and light yoga help with the cramps though. And Advil.

It's good to read that you are still active some days and thanks for sharing your diagnosis - so far you are the only person I've read who has shared so I empathize with where you are coming from. It's hard not to assume the best or the worst when people don't share enough info.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    you're so right! i'm sure nobody else is stoical and works through any other pain or health issues if this one beats them.

My friend used to call in work every month during her period because it was so bad. Her mother and I had to really help her out.. carry her to the bathroom and back to bed again, to the kitchen, drive her to doctors appointments, etc, even her mother's perks weren't working for her.. if you ever took perks, you know how powerful they are. Shortly after, she got diagnosed with MS. She began becoming more physically active in the new year after years of not doing squat and strangely enough, a lot of symptoms disappeared.

I may sound like a hard a-- but unless people SHARE that they suffer from a condition, it just sounds like a lot of whining. OP asked how it works for everyone, I'm just trying to encourage her to keep going because working out improves pain, mood and more.. you just have to be patient and stick with it.

It's sad that it has to be mentioned but if you have a condition, go see a doctor and don't come here looking for advice before you see a doctor...
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Amen sister.

I'm sure as a Mom with other friends who are mothers, you have given advice that no one asked for. Like I said, if you don't share that you have xyz, one has to assume that you just cramp a lot, bleed.. it really just sounds like it's all in your head.