10 day water fast (have you fasted?)

Hey there I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get through a 10 day water fast as painless as possible today is day two and I'm already down 1.5 pounds! Yayyy! (Please no judgements criticisms, anorexia talk, I know about metabolism and starvation blah blah blahhh, just anyone who has done a fast/detox give me advice on what you did to keep you mind straight). I think the thing that's been the hardest is doing things with the boyfriend we go out to eat and it SO awkward. Yesterday the waitress asked if we needed a share basket I said no then she came back and asked if I needed a water cup. The girl was obviously just trying to be nice but I know it made my bf feel weird. Right now I am 5 foot 2 and and 139. Which is 20 pounds over the weight I should be for my height.

Replies

• I don't think you are gonna find much motivation or support on this subject. This just isn't the right way to treat your body. End of Story. There is no way to stay sane or on track. You are just going to gain back the weight you "lost" when you stop. If you don't pass out, hurt yourself, or end up in the hospital before then. Fasting is fine for a good detox every now and then... but 10 days is over board.
  • April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    I don't think you are gonna find much motivation or support on this subject. This just isn't the right way to treat your body. End of Story. There is no way to stay sane or on track. You are just going to gain back the weight you "lost" when you stop. If you don't pass out, hurt yourself, or end up in the hospital before then. Fasting is fine for a good detox every now and then... but 10 days is over board.

I have to agree...a water fast is very difficult. I also believe that once you go back to eating solid foods you will gain back all that you lost. If you are detoxing for "health" reasons its different but just to lose a few pounds you are setting your self up for failure. Even a detox diet isnt just water. Did you consider a detox kit from your local health food store? Then you can rid your body of toxins along with still eating a well balanced diet.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    You're really not that far off from a healthy weight for your height. I'm around the same stats as you. Adjust your diet and incorporate some exercise into your daily routine. Don't bother fasting. Waste of time unless you're hoping to squeeze into a dress in 10 days and don't mind gaining every ounce back when you start eating like a normal person.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    (Please no judgements criticisms, anorexia talk, I know about metabolism and starvation blah blah blahhh, just anyone who has done a fast/detox give me advice on what you did to keep you mind straight).

So you know all about it, yet you are purposely doing this to yourself? That would be pro-ana. And against the forum rules. Bye.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    (Please no judgements criticisms, anorexia talk, I know about metabolism and starvation blah blah blahhh, just anyone who has done a fast/detox give me advice on what you did to keep you mind straight).

So you clearly already know and don't care. Gotcha.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    NO.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In to learn why anyone would ever consider doing this under any circumstances.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    I dont think I would be able to do a water fast...that seems like a long time with nothing nutritional hitting your system. If you are going to fast, why not try jucing?

Juice veggies with a few fruits (you absolutley want more veggies in there than fruit) and just drink that. If you havent, you might want to check out the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" it's all about juicing, and fasting.

Good luck to you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    In to learn why anyone would ever consider doing this under any circumstances.

Especially if (s)he actually knows about metabolism and starvation blah, blah, blah...
  • (Please no judgements criticisms, anorexia talk, I know about metabolism and starvation blah blah blahhh, just anyone who has done a fast/detox give me advice on what you did to keep you mind straight).

So you know all about it, yet you are purposely doing this to yourself? That would be pro-ana. And against the forum rules. Bye.

^this
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    i'm sorry but no.

10 days without anything nutritional hitting your body/bloodstream etc...

just no.
  • So only water for 10 days? or liquids?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Why would you put your body through that? Be kind to your body
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member

^this

Yes. Seriously. You can't just say no criticisms on your 10 day starvation plan. Doesn't work like that.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I've only done a 3-day water fast. It was very difficult. The second day was the hardest.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    just anyone who has done a fast/detox give me advice on what you did to keep you mind straight). .

Whenever I fast, it is for spiritual reasons and we usually spend time praying and singing (to keep our mind straight :wink: ).
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    10 days without any food

Seems legit.
  • Dear Time4hard,

WATER- fast

;)
  • NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Don't do this. It's a terrible idea. There are much better ways to lose weight. Consuming nothing but water for 10 days is a great way to end up passing out and having yourself admitted to the hospital and force fed - and I'm sure you don't want that.

There are lots of healthy ways to lose weight, but anything that gives you overnight results is not going to last. You're setting yourself up to fail. Anything you 'lose' you will gain back plus some. You are at the beginning of a dangerous cycle.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    10 day fast and only water? Congrats on bringing down the collective IQ of MFP!
This discussion has been closed.