10 day water fast (have you fasted?)

2»

Replies

• gcadays99
    gcadays99 Posts: 23
    Yeah I fasted to start my weight loss journey off. While I did lose a bunch it was about 80% water weight so when I actually started diet and excersize I gained some back and took a while before I started losing again. So as a weight loss tool it isn't great. What it did help me with though is give me control over food. It helps you realize how your body doesn't need a whole lot to keep running and made it so much easier for me mentally to tackle my over eating.

but to clarify. When I originally did the fast I was planning on doing it a 2nd time this year but now seeing the results just from diet and excersize I have taken it out of consideration.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    You will just be doing more harm than good by doing a water fast for 10 days. You are forcing your body to run without any nutrients. Any weight you lose you will gain right back so what's the point of putting yourself through it? You do not need to detox or cleanse your body as it will do this on it's own with proper diet and water consumption.

Rethink what you are doing. I realize you posted that you didn't want anything negative posted however when you post on a public forum on the internet you need to realize that you will recieve input both positive and negative. It's just how it works.

Water fasting is not a good idea to do. Sure, you will lose weight while you are on it however you are depriving your body of required nutrients. Any weight you lose you will gain right back once you start eating food again or consuming anything besides water. Why would you want to neglect your health? Deprive your body of nutrients, vitamins and minerals?

The only times you need to fast is if it is for a medical procedure or another medical condition (given by your Doctor) or if you fast for religious purposes. I'm not all that informed about religion but I believe when people fast for religious reasons they do so during the day but do consume foods and nutrients at some point throughout the day.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    This is one of the only times I'll report a thread.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member
    You're not going to keep your mind straight. You need food for that.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    10 days without any food

Seems legit.

LOL..ah....i love sarcasm.

Your body loves you, don't do this.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    This is irresponsible. But go ahead and do what you want.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    and here I thought you actually had to work for it. Screw it i'm giving up eating.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    This is one of the only times I'll report a thread.

word. this, body shaming, and bigotry pretty much.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It sounds like a hunger strike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Sorry...I'm going to have to be mean and unsupportive of your quest to starve yourself for 10 days. Stupid plan. I have no problem with IF, but what you're proposing is absurd.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Reported. End of story.

This is not a healthy way to acheive your goal weight.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I have locked this topic because it is a violation of our community guidelines to promote potentially unsafe weight loss techniques.
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive and healthy community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.