Anyone try the military diet?....

Options

Replies

• TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    What is a military diet? Mashed potatoes and Macaroni? Or Potatoes au Gratin? Kool-Aid?
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, this diet is ancient! I remember my dad used it when he thought he needed to drop weight for a weigh in. He was pretty happy when he retired.

I used this diet a few times thinking it would give me more discipline. I almost passed out on the elliptical, and I am even more overweight than ever. Quick fixes don't exist, sorry!
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    cosby_weiner.gif
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lol!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Is that the diet where you dont get breakfast due to budget cuts?

HA!! Good one!! We are facing paycuts due to the Sequester, unlike other government employees I will not mention by name. Must be nice to vote on your own pay raise. :grumble:
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Nauti_Buoy Posts: 135
    Options
    Umm.... well the military that I served in gave me MRE's and those SOB's were packing 3k calories ea and i would pound 2 a day trying to keep the energy up for my next "stop"
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MRE's?

That was MY first thought too...lol.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We're on a roll here today with the fad diet threads.

This is basically an anorexic diet.

Rule of thumb. If something is called "The [Something] Diet" and boasts "Lose up to [x] lbs in [y] days", it's not even worth your time or bandwidth to click on the link.

This.

For the record, this "diet" is known under a number of different but equally important sounding names, like the cardiac diet, the Birminham Hospital diet, the Cleveland Clinic, the American Heart Association diet, etc. It is billed as a diet used to help overweight patients lose weight fast before surgery. The only problem is none of these organizations actually use this diet.

Besides the other points already brought up, if the diet has to mislead by using a name to sound credible, I don' think it is something to consider.
  • lalaglo30
    lalaglo30 Posts: 33
    Options
    LOL!
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    Is that the diet where you dont get breakfast due to budget cuts?

LOL!!!!
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    In regards to everyone recommending to eat healthy count calories and work out...I'm doing that...I am having a tough time shedding the pounds.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Do the real military diet and eat nothing but MREs for months on end.
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    I hate following "diets". They're expensive - you have to buy the food they tell you to eat. And realistically, are you going to cook youself separate meals from the rest of the family? No way could I make my husband and daughter eat according to a diet plan. This is why I love MFP where I can make my own diet plan and record my calories.

I know what you mean. It's hard when you have a husband and kids to feed to make sure you eat healthy. I often find myself cooking separate things for myself anyways. More veggies for instance. But the foods on the list are foods I love and would eat anyways and would buy anyways. Except for the hot dogs. I'm just concerned about the 3 days where you are eating wayyy below any recommended calorie intake.
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    is this the one that you eat hot dogs and ice cream, then cottage cheese and grapefruits? "chemical reactions trigger weight loss"

This would be the one, yep. I always marvel at how people can fall for the idea that those foods of have chemical interactions that magically drop pounds.....seriously....hot dogs???

Definitely not falling for the idea that a chemical reaction from the specific foods they listed triggers weight loss. I was more interested in the portions of the food and the idea that 3 days on and 4 off may have a helpful effect on the metabolism and burning more fat.
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    So there are people in US Army who need to lose 40lbs?

Maybe they should call it the police force diet instead =)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    In regards to everyone recommending to eat healthy count calories and work out...I'm doing that...I am having a tough time shedding the pounds.

This is not going to help if you are already eating healthy. The incredible results only happen to people who eat a lot of junk food, then do this for three days. Part of the weightless is water, part is not having much in your intestines from eating so little. In three days, you might lose a pound of actual fat, from eating so few calories.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed, so we have no idea what you're intake is. There could be other reasons that you're not shedding pounds. Have you calculated your TDEE/BMR? There are plenty of calculators out there on the intarwebs to figure out those numbers.
  • tiggermamaof2
    tiggermamaof2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe this military diet the same one I argued with a lady about when I said this isn't a real military diet and she went nuts :laugh: all the soldiers I know are on the MRE diet and no hot breakfast diet .
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    I came across a pin on Pinterest for the military diet. Read the plan and it's really easy to follow. 3 days on (eating their food plan) and 4 days off (still eating healthy but not following their meal plan). It boasts that you can lose up to 40 lbs in a month if done correctly. Anyone try this diet? Thoughts? Success? Bad reviews?

1) Anyone in the military (or prior service) will tell you that they're not eating hotdogs and grapefruit...
    2) Folks in the military usually eat more than what's defined in the diet and they exercise.

I'm assuming the name "military" isn't to say that is what people in the military do...I think it means more the idea of a strict regime.
  • lalaglo30
    Options
    cosby_weiner.gif

lmfao!!!!