Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Slimming Thighs (Pear Shape)

2»

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    I already knew losing weight is the only real answer but I just somehow never see pear shapes break out of pear shapes, whereas I tend to see other shapes (especially apples) actually shift shape when they lose and tone up. So I was curious what might be out there to give it a boost, especially since thunder-thighs are just... inconvenient for me in a lot of ways. :x

Sorry to say, but if you're saddled with the same endocrinological baggage as us cisgenders, you're also stuck with the same tools to deal with it, and will probably have to face some level of acceptance too... there's only so much you can do, given leptin etc, without going into single-digit body fat, which is medically bad for everyone not genetically Y.

You're right that no matter how much pears slim down, we always look a bit pearish. Getting down to low body fat - even into 17-18% ish - usually makes people look super bony up top, with resistant fat still on the thighs. IME straight cardio with no strength can make thighs skinnier, as in, lower circumference, but they're a bit looser, too. Things at least look firm with a bit of muscle.

I don't know what look exactly you're going for, but if you wanted more symmetry you could emphasize lats & shoulders to get breadth up top, and calves to balance things out at the bottom.

That said, I was just actually rereading this study, which showed preferential fat reduction in women, from thighs and trunk, with cycling sprints (8 seconds on, 12 off, for 20 minutes, 3 x a week, 5 min w/u & 5 min cool down). One of the main investigators, in an interview, said you could optimize the catelcholamine response he thinks is responsible for the result by doing it in the early am, with nothing (no other caffeine, no protein, no sugar) except for green tea (complicated hormonal reasons for that). I haven't tried it myself:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197184

Interview:

He says similar results could probably be expected with rowing and stairs, but not elliptical (not challenging enough) or running (bc it takes serious speed to get up to the requisite bpm, and most people can't handle it for lots of reasons).

He also said if you could work up to 5x20 minute sessions a week, greater fat loss could probably be expected.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    I'm really frightened that continuing with my favorite exercise (hiking and walking and just kicking my legs in general), as well as squats and lunges everyone says to do, will just make my thighs even bulkier.

1. Is that fear unreasonable?

as for this, yeah the fear does not correspond with what reality would offer you. If you like doing those things, do them!
  • I'm very much a pear and am under no illusion that whether I lose weight or put it on, my proportions will always be larger on my lower half (my top half is 1 -2 dress sizes smaller)

I have accepted this and rather than try to get kate moss thighs, I'm going to be spending the next three months working out my sholders, chest, back and arms. By doing so it will make me look more balanced. keeping the cardio up to help improve fitness and keep working off the fat.

Hope this helps
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm very much a pear and am under no illusion that whether I lose weight or put it on, my proportions will always be larger on my lower half (my top half is 1 -2 dress sizes smaller)

I have accepted this and rather than try to get kate moss thighs, I'm going to be spending the next three months working out my sholders, chest, back and arms. By doing so it will make me look more balanced. keeping the cardio up to help improve fitness and keep working off the fat.

Hope this helps

That is great advice. I feel that the more that i work my top I look more balanced and more hour glass shaped. Plus my posture is better
  • RubyInParadise
    RubyInParadise Posts: 10 Member
    bump
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    I have the same problem with my thighs
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I'm pear shaped so naturally I have huge freaking thighs. I hate it.

I'm really frightened that continuing with my favorite exercise (hiking and walking and just kicking my legs in general), as well as squats and lunges everyone says to do, will just make my thighs even bulkier. Even if it's muscle and not fat, that is absolutely, positively not what I want.

Sooo...
    1. Is that fear unreasonable?
    2. Got any thigh-slimming exercises for me to try? (Preferably ones that don't involve going to the gym.)

1. Yes, it's unreasonable.
    2. Any exercise that helps you lose body fat.

Seriously. You might *think* your thighs are getting bigger because as you lose weight, you will probably lose more everywhere else first. However, I would encourage you to take measurements - because what you think will be wrong.

Even if you have muscular legs, if you have weight to lose, that means you have fat on your legs. You will lose that fat eventually. Just stick with it and keep going. Lose weight = get smaller legs.

Squats and lunges (especially with weights....as heavy as you can for 5-8 reps, preferrably) will help you get smaller legs, faster. But any exercise will make your legs smaller because exercise helps you lose weight.

THIS.

I love my big legs, providing they are muscular. They are getting smaller even though I do those things you'e worried about, and I know that because I measure every month and record it.

I lift heavy weights for low reps and I walk a lot. Since you don't want to go to the gym, you could find a bodyweight strength building program and work on that. You Are Your Own Gym is a great one. Others recommend Convict Conditioning.

Losing the fat is what shrinks your thighs. Building strength (via lifting weights or body weight strength training) gives them a nice strong shape, but does NOT increase their size, so long as you are eating at a caloric deficit.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I have the same problem but I am learning to "embrace my shape." I currently wear a size small/medium shirt and a size 10/12 pants. I do cardio and weight training and have noticed toning. I have just a few lbs left to lose but will still definitely be a "pear shape" at my goal. If I go lower than a size 10 pants, I start getting comments about being too thin and I personally think I look too thin(from the waist up, that is).
  • Katerina67
    Katerina67 Posts: 21
    I have huge thighs with saddlebags and I was very reluctant to sterts weight training because I was afraid to get my thighs even bulkier. I managed to burn a lot of fat through the dieting and cardio, but it did not change my body proportions, the legs became much slimmer but they looked relatively fat. So I tried squats and lunges and deadlifts with weights and was very happy with the results. I gained a lot weight afterwards and the best way to slim and shape mye thighs and glutes was weight training. Yes, you don't get slimmer bottom right away since you will build muscles faster than you burn fat, but you will look better. But the most efficient way is to do both weight training with something like brisk walking/jogging/running/elliptic machine.
    And when I do weight training I never increase my protein intake, so my muscles are getting stronger and more toned, but they don't get much bulkier.