The Importance of Eating Breakfast

fitplease
fitplease Posts: 647 Member
"Research has shown that individuals who skip breakfast often feel tired, irritable, or restless in the morning. On a positive note, breakfast eaters have better attitudes at work or school, display higher productivity and are more capable of handling tasks that rely on memory. Additionally, those who enjoy breakfast usually have more strength and endurance as well as better concentration and problem-solving ability. "

"Research has shown that individuals who enjoy a nutritious breakfast are more likely to achieve a healthy weight . . ."

"Additionally, individuals who enjoy breakfast also tend to engage in greater physical activity."

Quotes taken from:
12 Fast and Easy Breakfast Ideas
http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/12-Fast-and-Easy-Breakfast-Ideas.htm

What is your experience eating/not eating breakfast? Do you agree with the statement(s) above?

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    "Research has shown that individuals who skip breakfast often feel tired, irritable, or restless in the morning. On a positive note, breakfast eaters have better attitudes at work or school, display higher productivity and are more capable of handling tasks that rely on memory. Additionally, those who enjoy breakfast usually have more strength and endurance as well as better concentration and problem-solving ability. "

"Research has shown that individuals who enjoy a nutritious breakfast are more likely to achieve a healthy weight . . ."

"Additionally, individuals who enjoy breakfast also tend to engage in greater physical activity."

Quotes taken from:
    12 Fast and Easy Breakfast Ideas
    http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/12-Fast-and-Easy-Breakfast-Ideas.htm

What is your experience eating/not eating breakfast? Do you agree with the statement(s) above?

I don't know if its true or not.

I know for myself, I do better if I have something small in the morning. I've got my dried fruit, plain greek yogurt and Rice Chex routine along with a mocha bulletproof coffee consisting of coconut cream (about 20 ml), 4 g of light Coffeemate (dry), quarter cup of milk, 5 g of unsweetened cocoa powder, and two heaping teaspoons of instant espresso (because I don't really have time or patience to brew a doggone thing at the insane hour I often get up)

Even the breakfast has been prepped the night before so I just throw stuff together and toss it down the hatch before running out the door. (and the coffee follows me in a thermos to be drunk on my way to work) I suspect these things are fairly individual though.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    i eat breakfast if i'm hungry, if i'm not i don't eat just because a magazine tells me "women who eat breakfast are slimmer" or whatever the "research" is saying this week.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    My body doesn't want anything but coffee until about 11 am. Once in a great while I get a desire to eat breakfast.

"Research" will make almost any claim people want to hear. I don't know if your article is true for everyone but I certainly don't fit the discription of the non-breakfast eaters in it. :smile:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Don't agree at all. There are many people following very successful Intermittent Fasting style diets that don't eat breakfast.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    I like how a lot of pro breakfast studies are funded by cereal companies.

I guess all those people who do Intermittent Fasting must not have any energy.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Some people need it, some people dont. There is this thing called intermittent fasting which has been verryyyyy successful for some, and not for others. If someone typically doesnt eat breakfast or feel hungry in the morning, then i dont think that they should force themselves to eat something. I think people just need to listen to their hunger.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    I eat breakfast, but not straight away when I wake up - I have it about 10:30am. Saves the need for a mid morning snack.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    research can prove or disprove anything.....
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member

I eat breakfast every day (unless I'm sick or ate way too much dinner the night before and am still full). I'm still tired, irritable and restless, have a generally poor attitude at work. I haven't noticed breakfast ever playing a big role in my weight (which fluctuates) -- except that one thing that has worked well for me for dieting was to make my breakfast pint-sized (100-200 calories vs. 300-400). I've actually found that eating too much at breakfast makes me want to continue the trend throughout the day.

I will say that I think better with food, so I'll give them that one.

I tend to think that people who eat breakfast tend to engage in more activity not because they ate breakfast, but vice versa. People who engage in a lot of physical activity often wake up hungry and the thought of going into the day without food is just plain miserable. Some days the thing that wakes me up is being so hungry that I HAVE to eat.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Everyone eats breakfast, it means " breaking the fast"... I happen to eat breakfast around 11-12 most days. Doesn't mean I'm less active or less fit than someone who eats right when they wake up. Nutrient timing is not important when it comes to weight loss or fitness.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Everyone is different.

Studies would show that the "average" person likes cheese, lettuce and tomato on their burger, with mayo, ketchup and mustard.

Studies would show that the "average" person prefers cream and sugar in their coffee.

I prefer my burgers without cheese, 8 slices of tomato, no mayo, no ketchup, and maybe a little spicy mustard.

I will not drink coffee that has been defiled by "Coffee Ruiner #1" or "Coffee Ruiner #2" as I call them.

Just because the "average" person feels tired, irritable or whatever because they skip breakfast only indicates that there is some increased percentage of persons for whom that is true.

For me, I feel sluggish if I eat more than just a very small portion (maybe a cup of blueberries), and I find that if I do eat breakfast, I am far more likely to eat a bigger lunch. That's just the way my physiology works.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    I see correlations about how great breakfast is, but I also see confounds the researchers did not even try to control for. I wish there could be a controlled experiment with randomly assigned participants to give humanity actual, solid data on breakfast.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    research can prove or disprove anything.....

This ^^^

I don't eat until 6pm most nights and I am never hungry before this time. I think its more to do about conditioning and adaptation than anything else not science per say because science can approve or not approve a certain way of eating and we all know that meal frequency meals squat.
  • KBSwinger
    Everyone eats breakfast, it means " breaking the fast"... I happen to eat breakfast around 11-12 most days. Doesn't mean I'm less active or less fit than someone who eats right when they wake up. Nutrient timing is not important when it comes to weight loss or fitness.

Agreed!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Hitting your macro targets for the entire day is more important than 1 meal. It doesn't matter when you consume your food. Just hit your targets.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    BACON!!!!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    When i eat a regular breakfast i tend to eat more in the day. When i dont i tend to eat less. Skipping it works for me so i save my calories for later in the day when i really want them!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,872 Member
    I decided to start eating breakfast, and then I was hungry all day and ended up obsessing over food, so after a month, I stopped, I dont eat til about 10am, before then I drink my coffee.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    this.
    sometimes ill grab a piece of toast or something small before walking the kids to school, but i dont typically have a meal until about 11, sometimes 12
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    i always eat breakfast
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    I eat breakfast because I wake up hungry.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Not hungry in the morning. Feel great and energetic without food.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    I don't eat breakfast because it's "the most important meal of the day" or that I'll lose more weight because I'm eating breakfast.

I eat it because if I don't, my stomach starts to growl in class and then I spend the rest of the lecture time trying to quiet the growls (still haven't figured out how to). Not really a good use of lecture time.

If I don't eat a good breakfast, I'll be ravenous by the time lunch comes and I'll be so busy trying to satisfy my hunger that shoving my face with junk won't seem that bad of an idea.

I typically eat breakfast within 1-2 hours of waking up. Some days that means 7 am. Other days that may not be until noon.
  • KBSwinger
    I decided to start eating breakfast, and then I was hungry all day and ended up obsessing over food, so after a month, I stopped, I dont eat til about 10am, before then I drink my coffee.

This is me if I eat breakfast and lunch I am starving all day long
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    I don't eat breakfast because it's "the most important meal of the day" or that I'll lose more weight because I'm eating breakfast.

I eat it because if I don't, my stomach starts to growl in class and then I spend the rest of the lecture time trying to quiet the growls (still haven't figured out how to). Not really a good use of lecture time.

^^ except this is me at work, irritable, stomach growling, and tired. But my job requires some physical exertion, so I need something... not a lot, just something before I start.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Breakfast seems to be associated with just morning eating. You can "break your fast" well into the afternoon. I eat up to 11pm at night and then not again till after 12pm. Obviously I'm doing it wrong according to research..............................for the past 15 years.:laugh:
    Lots of research to actual disprove the research posted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    The old scientific consensus was that you had to eat early to get your metabolism going. Lately, I have been reading about science saying that fasting for 12-16 hours every day (that is, for most people, from evening until lunch) is healthier. Early humans ate when they could, which was not necessarily three times a day, let alone "five small meals spaced through the day" as many weight-loss guides advocate.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    I really think breakfast is only important to those who feel the need to eat it every day. I do eat breakfast every day. I find that the heartier the breakfast, the less snacky I am during the day.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Studies show that most studies are biased and not worth the money the government throws into it. :bigsmile:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    BACON!!!!

for breakfast, lunch or dinner, pick one or all three...YUMMY