95lbs lost and 19lbs of muscle gained in 11 weeks

Options
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130311/news/703119634/?interstitial=1

That's a loss of about 10lbs of fat a week and a gain of nearly 1.75lbs of muscle a week...by a female!

Obviously that rate of fat loss is incredible but for the biggest loser it's common since they workout for like four hours a day. What I'm more interested in is that Danni was able to gain 19lbs of muscle in just 11 weeks while losing an incredible amount of fat. As far as I know, she was not on any kind of steroids. How is this rate of muscle growth even possible? Most females at a calorie surplus only gain half a pound of muscle a month. She was gaining about 7lbs of muscle a month! Even most men that are on steroids and lifting gain slightly less than that (around 1.4lbs a week).

Explain/discuss.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's not. Whatever they used to figure her LBM was innacurate.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser does 2 weeks in one (as far as I know), so it's more like 22 weeks than 11 :)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I saw that also and was surprised, but they said they measured 3 different ways....
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Honest mistake or BS from a TV show...

I'd default to the BS answer, considering the source.
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    I was shocked when I heard that on the show, too. Regardless, she looks amazing. Her transformation is what got me out of bed this morning for the gym :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched the show - the doctor dude comparing her before and after stats said she gained 19lbs of muscle - and he seemed shocked too - but I have a hard time believing it! Seems like not enough time for that to happen, and I doubt she's been eating enough to build muscle anyway.

Something doesn't add up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Honest mistake or BS from a TV show...

I'd default to the BS answer, considering the source.

^^yep
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched the show - the doctor dude comparing her before and after stats said she gained 19lbs of muscle - and he seemed shocked too - but I have a hard time believing it! Seems like not enough time for that to happen, and I doubt she's been eating enough to build muscle anyway.

Something doesn't add up.

exactly.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    She might be genetically gifted or it is BS.

Take your pic
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser does 2 weeks in one (as far as I know), so it's more like 22 weeks than 11 :)
    Even gaining 19lbs of muscle in 22 weeks would be nearly impossible. They said she had set a new record.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

Found this today because everyone is talking about.. oh you gained a lb its probably muscle, this sheds a little light on the subject.. not saying its scientific law but it gives a good view point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    She might be genetically gifted or it is BS.

Take your pic

Option 3: juice.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    BS concocted to get ratings. That's all.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the "you can't gain muscle while in a deficit" crowd.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If only I had 11 weeks to devote entirely to weightloss.
  • mrswoodstock
    mrswoodstock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i think BL does more harm than good. it gives people unrealistic goals and expectations. and i also think they "fix" the numbers for better ratings. granted i have thier kinect game, but its the only "weight loss game" i could find in my price range at my local gamming store.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    :laugh: 19lbs of muscle in 11 weeks and for a female?

Maybe 3 years.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even the show admitted that this was extraordinary: they said it was a record, implying that even the men don't gain that much muscle. It would be nice to know how long it actually was. We know that they were home for two weeks, but for the rest of the season, we don't know which weeks were longer nor how much longer.

I don't think it was BS, if you look at Danni, she is the poster child for transformation through muscle. That girl is just a freak of nature, in a beautiful, strong, sexy way.

Meanwhile, I am gaining weight doing an extra hour a day on my vacation, while eating at the same level. I don't for a minute believe it is because is I am putting on that much muscle.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's true! It's all true!!! Also the world is flat, muscle weighs more than fat and the moon is made of green cheese. Facts!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    No way in hell. At best, a female can realistically gain about 1 lb of lean body mass per month while on a dedicated surplus. Three pounds compared to 19? No.