95lbs lost and 19lbs of muscle gained in 11 weeks

Options

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I know people who have worked on and been in reality tv shows. It is all absolutely, totally fake.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    lollergasm
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    95lbs lost and 19lbs of muscle gained in 11 weeks

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif
  • __RANDY__
    Options
    the brain trust over at bb.com is trying to wrap their heads around this too

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152485743&pagenumber=
  • __RANDY__
    Options
    BS concocted to get ratings. That's all.

Yup

Don't forget to sell you crap too.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone posted on this as I was watching the episode last night and it really bothered me. Especially when the "doctor" said he'd measured it three different ways. All I could figure was, maybe he meant bio-impedance and just a couple different caliper formulas both of which aren't 100% accurate. That and she started at probably a very high body fat, and lost weight in a rapid amount of time, so I'd bet under those two conditions both impedance measurements and even caliper measurements from a trained individual could have a lot of error.
    If she was at 56% bodyfat at 258, she had 113.5 lbs of LBM.
    If she was at 29% bodyfat at 163, she now has 115.7 lbs of LBM.

Which would mean she gained 2.2 lbs of muscle in "11 weeks" (could really be as much as 20ish depending on how much the show lies). Totally possible for a big girl newbie.

This was along the lines of what I was thinking. She started morbidly obese and was likely mostly untrained, so probably some newbie gains are possible. 2 lbs is nothing to scoff at and seems perfectly reasonable (and shows how hard it is for a woman working out most of the day, and eating a very controlled diet, to add muscle while at a deficit). I think Danni looks great now, the fat loss has meant the muscles she has are starting to get very visible. But I hope the whole "19 lbs" BS doesn't spook off women who are afraid of "getting bulky".

I enjoy BL both just to see real people exercising/working hard, but also definitely as a guilty pleasure. I know it's heavily edited, "weeks" are not weeks, and that the contestants do generally unrealistic things most of the time. I guess I never thought about liking Danni just because the editors had made it so, but I guess that makes a lot of sense now looking back! I actually find it quite amusing when I can see they've all shifted around during a weigh-in and you can tell it's because they're yanking out contestants for commentary etc. Or I would also guess they weigh the contestants privately ahead of time so the producers know in what weigh-in order is likely to cause the most drama etc.
    BS concocted to get ratings. That's all.

Yup

Don't forget to sell you crap too.

I actually find the in-show commercials pretty amusing. And I think the trainers/contestants do as well, but probably don't care a lot as I'm sure they're all contractually obligated to do so. Seems like everyone has the most idiotic smiles on their faces during them as if they are about to bust up laughing at how ridiculous it all is. Like last night where supposedly they're just all hanging out in the kitchen, then the camera kept flashing to the soup cans. I was like "oh! soup commercial!" right away. Reminds of the 50s TV stars who'd stop in the middle of a show to talk about cigarettes or appliances or whatever. At least it is way more obvious than a lot of the product placement typical in most shows (when someone's working on an Apple computer and the logo is shown pretty obviously, or same with whatever car the lead actor is driving that day).
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    19 pounds of muscle huh in 11 weeks huh...
  • NotAResolution
    NotAResolution Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like Danni and I like the Biggest Loser. Until someone proves that it's all fake and BS, then I will believe it. People lose weight all the time, some on TV, most not, doesn't make the weight loss any less real. Sure people that go on the show sometimes gain back the weight, same thing happens to people not on TV. Could she have used something to help with her muscle gain? Yes, possibly, just like the college athletes do before they turn pro.

Like i said, I like her. I hope she wins the whole thing.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Explains why my calves are so bulky an muscular
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options
    Seriously it's just got to be a flat out lie. Here's the situation, she was an athlete when she was younger, she absolutely appears to have "gained" muscle because it was there already under the fat. She doesn't have the loose skin that some of the other contestants get because they weren't as athletic as her when they were younger.

I do think her transformation has been amazing, but I am still calling BS on the "gain" of the muscle. It's an optical illusion because she was already muscular.

^^This. These are the types of people used in those before/after shots all over weight-loss products. They probably pay people to gain weight then lose it. WUT?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It does require more muscle to haul that flab around. Believe me, I know.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am also curious about if she gained muscle that quickly. Maybe they miscalculated it. I know when I'm sore after a weight workout my body scale will add a couple of percentage points to LBM, up to 10% more if I've eaten something first.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^ It's possible she's just a genetic freak. She was an athlete while younger. However I think someone just figured their numbers wrong.

In any case, her before and after photos are impressive. Good for her for losing that weight. Hope she keeps it off.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with the News Of The World and ITN about bodybuilding and keeping fit and refusing contracts they offered, I wouldn't believe for one moment it is true.

Part of their contracts state you cannot say anything for 30 days after airing of said program or release of paper, if you do you forfeit payment.

Take from that what you will.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Aghhhhh!! I'm gonna have to google her now, I'm intrigued!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What a joke!!!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cynics ! I think if you have a television show that is that popular, you don't risk your credibility by lying, outright. You might skew the presentation of certain things. But you don't lie. If you lie you lose your credibility, and there goes every viewer and every advertiser before you can purse your lips to kiss their *kitten*.
    People in media all know that.
    The Weekly World News and tabloids like that operate somewhat differently from most media. They are exceptions. They don't take many ads or get many ads.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Seriously it's just got to be a flat out lie. Here's the situation, she was an athlete when she was younger, she absolutely appears to have "gained" muscle because it was there already under the fat. She doesn't have the loose skin that some of the other contestants get because they weren't as athletic as her when they were younger.

I do think her transformation has been amazing, but I am still calling BS on the "gain" of the muscle. It's an optical illusion because she was already muscular.

That sounds like a good explanation. I know I gain back old muscle much faster than if I never had muscle there to begin with.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    19 in 11?

Seems legit.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Are we really discussing the validity of a claim made by a REALITY TV SHOW?

:laugh: True.. same folks who run fast food and chocolate cake during their commercials.. must trust them.