Kicking the habit..... diet sodas

Options
OK, 4-1-08, no more diet chocolate cherry dr pepper. :sad: :noway: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

Too many bad things.

No, nope and no way, not until 4-1.......

I have 4 more in my 12 pack and I love them........

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, 4-1-08, no more diet chocolate cherry dr pepper. :sad: :noway: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

Too many bad things.

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    You can do it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options

Too many bad things.

OMG. That name is like ordering a coffee here in Seattle.

"I'll have a grande-iced-half-caf-half-decaf-lowfat-extra vanilla-macciato-with one-pump-chocolate-soy-latte -oh and leave the lid off-so I can add my own cinnamon"

And GOD forbid you should order it without it being in the absolute "correct" order of words - or the Starbucks Barista will rearrange all the words in the "right" order and repeat them back to you. Why do they charge $4.00 to humiliate us (with burnt coffee) ?? :drinker:

:bigsmile:
  • elliott062907
    Options
    OMG, if you haven't tried tham, they are the bomb, but while dieting, it's not good.....

and I am on my 3rd one today...:cry::cry: :drinker: :drinker:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Too many bad things.

OMG. That name is like ordering a coffee here in Seattle.

"I'll have a grande-iced-half-caf-half-decaf-lowfat-extra vanilla-macciato-with one-pump-chocolate-soy-latte -oh and leave the lid off-so I can add my own cinnamon"

And GOD forbid you should order it without it being in the absolute "correct" order of words - or the Starbucks Barista will rearrange all the words in the "right" order and repeat them back to you. Why do they charge $4.00 to humiliate us (with burnt coffee) ?? :drinker:

:bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I trained at a coffee house for 3 years and then went to an Espresso Bar and managed it for 6 years. I used to die laughing when people would try to get all fancy with their drinks.
    May I have a caramel mocha cappuccino latte with no foam with 3 blue sweeteners and whip cream 160 degrees and 1/2 shot of espresso in a grande cup.
    Then you say-that will be a Grande single shot caramel mocha with a single shot and 3 equals. Extra hot with whip.
    NO NO that is not what I ordered. It was shorted than what I told you.
    People can be so funny when it comes to there drinks:drinker:
  • elliott062907
    Options
    man, it's like melted chocolat covered cherries on CRACK......

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Melobs
    Melobs Posts: 12
    Options
    man, it's like melted chocolat covered cherries on CRACK......

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

So tell me why it's bad for diet sodas?
  • elliott062907
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?
    Overweight Risk Soars 41% With Each Daily Can of Diet Soft Drink
    By Daniel J. DeNoon
    WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Charlotte E. Grayson Mathis, MDJune 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.

"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.

More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain
    Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

26% for up to 1/2 can each day
    30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
    32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
    37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
    54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

Diet Soda No Smoking Gun
    Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?
    Overweight Risk Soars 41% With Each Daily Can of Diet Soft Drink(continued)
    The Mad Hatter Theory
    "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
    "I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
    "You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "It's very easy to take more than nothing." Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

There is actually a way that diet drinks could contribute to weight gain, Fowler suggests.

She remembers being struck by the scene in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice is offended because she is offered tea but is given none -- even though she hadn't asked for tea in the first place. So she helps herself to tea and bread and butter.

That may be just what happens when we offer our bodies the sweet taste of diet drinks, but give them no calories. Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."
  • phollowa
    phollowa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    April 1st? Ok, I'm joinin ya. I'm quiting my morning ritual of a 44 oz diet coke with vanilla. I have heard how bad diet drinks are ....but am in denial. But, if you are doing it, then I'll do it too. This sucks...:sad:
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    i quit drinking diet sodas in february and it didn't impact me at all (once the caffeine thing left me). i didn't lose any weight and it didn't seem to affect my workouts or how i felt. my skin may have been a bit clearer but that was it. i had my first one on sunday and it didn't taste that good so i have only had one since. i guess the only up side was the food associations that i had with the diet soda...........just diet dr pepper for me.

good luck with your quest............but i feel if you want one don't beat yourself up over it.......everything in moderation.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    PLEASE.... when you are reading studies, think about what is going on!
    Does it seem a bit of a coincidence to anyone that the rate they discovered is the same percentage of overweight or obese people anyway!!!!

Also....this is only the media report from the study, it gives NO p values, no mention of what type of statistical test was used or anything!!! Unless you can find the actual research itself (from peer-reviewed journals, find out who conducted the study and who paid to have the study conducted, you cannot come to any conclusion from a report like this!

Drinking a couple of cans of Pepsi Max (i drink it because I find the sugared ones too sweet, not because it has no sugar in it), has not made any difference from when I didnt drink it.

I am going to try and find the actual study and see what it said.

Totally agree with karischwind - everything in moderation!

Sorry, but it really annoys me when we are mislead by the reporting of studies/conducting of studies.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    most diet sodas are filled with aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. ever since my initial diagnosis of cancer, two years ago, i'm very wary of putting anything artificial in my body. of course i'm not going to begrudge someone else that right.

as for the OP, good luck on kicking the habit. kicking soda is rough, but i've found the best way to do it is just to go cold turkey. good luck!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. My weekly ritual of a diet Pepsi isn't going to hurt me.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Actually, it might. Aside from the article posted above, here is another reason:

Soda and Osteoporosis: Is There a Connection?
    By Gina Shaw
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed by Charlotte E. Grayson Mathis, MD

Does this sound like you? While everyone else is at Starbucks getting their morning latte, you're at the vending machine picking up a Diet Coke. And if you're going to a movie, the popcorn just wouldn’t be complete without a large soda. But there may be a link between soda and osteoporosis that could be putting your bones at risk.
    When Soda Displaces Milk

Experts aren’t sure why drinking soda is linked to osteoporosis. It may be simply that the soda is displacing healthier drinks in your diet. If you're guzzling a Pepsi with dinner (or breakfast!) you're probably not drinking the glass of milk or fortified orange juice that nutritionists recommend.

"There is an association between people who have high soda intake and risk of fracture, but that's probably due to the fact that if they have a high soda intake, they have a low milk intake," agrees Robert Heaney, MD, FACP, a professor of medicine at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., and a nationally recognized expert on osteoporosis.

"Those things have been shown to be linked in various studies. But when you look at the ingredients of the soda and give those to healthy people and measure what it does to their calcium composition, nothing happens at all."

"Individuals who drink a lot of soft drinks aren't going to drink as much nutritious liquid as others," says Bess Dawson-Hughes, M.D., professor of medicine and director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University. "We're simply not going to consume beyond a certain volume each day."

So, if you just remember to drink a glass of milk for every can of Diet Coke, you'll be fine, right? Not necessarily.
    Soda and Osteoporosis: The Cola Connection

New research indicates that there may be more to the soda and osteoporosis connection than simply replacing the good stuff with the useless stuff.

Researchers at Tufts University, studying several thousand men and women, found that women who regularly drank cola-based sodas -- three or more a day -- had almost 4% lower bone mineral density in the hip, even though researchers controlled for calcium and vitamin D intake. But women who drank non-cola soft drinks, like Sprite or Mountain Dew, didn't appear to have lower bone density.
    Soda and Osteoporosis: Possible Culprits

Phosphoric acid, a major component in most sodas, may be to blame, according to lead study author Katherine Tucker, PhD.

Phosphorus itself is an important bone mineral. But if you're getting a disproportionate amount of phosphorus compared to the amount of calcium you're getting, that could lead to bone loss.

Another possible culprit is caffeine, which experts have long known can interfere with calcium absorption. In the Tufts study, both caffeinated and non-caffeinated colas were associated with lower bone density. But the caffeinated drinks appeared to do more damage.

This study isn't the last word on the subject. Some experts point out that the amount of phosphoric acid in soda is minimal compared to that found in chicken or cheese. And no one's telling women to stop eating chicken.

Smart Steps for Soda Lovers

Whether the apparent soda and osteoporosis link is due to effects of the soda itself or simply because soda drinkers get less of other, healthier beverages, it's clear that you need to be extra-vigilant about your bone health if you're a soda fiend.

"Soda drinkers need to pay extra attention to getting calcium from other sources," says Dawson-Hughes.

A few steps you can take to boost your bone health:

* Can't give soda up entirely? Cut out one or two cans a day (depending on how much you drink). The Tufts study indicates that it might help to switch to a non-cola soda (like Sprite or Mountain Dew).
    * Better still, for every soda you skip, reach for a glass of milk or fortified orange juice instead. Not only will you be cutting back on any harmful effect from the soda itself, you'll be adding calcium. (If you're a diet soda drinker worried about calories, here's a plus: fat-free milk has even more calcium than higher-calorie whole milk.)
    * Have a breakfast cereal fortified with calcium -- and pour milk on top.
    * Add milk instead of water when you prepare things like pancakes, waffles, and cocoa.
    * Add nonfat powdered dry milk to all kinds of recipes -- puddings, cookies, breads, soups, gravy, and casseroles. One tablespoon adds 52 mg of calcium. You can add three tablespoons per cup of milk in puddings, cocoa and custard; four tablespoons per cup of hot cereal (before cooking); and 2 tablespoons per cup of flour in cakes, cookies and breads.
    * Take a calcium and vitamin D supplement if you aren't getting enough calcium (1000-1300 mg, depending on your age) in your diet.
    * Get plenty of weight-bearing and resistance exercise.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osteoporosis/DS00128/DSECTION=4
    http://osteoporosis.about.com/od/dietsupplements/a/soda.htm
    http://www.publichealthadvocacy.org/PDFs/Soda_Fact_Sheet.pdf
    http://www.osteoperosis-facts.com/osteoperosis/soda-osteoperosis.php
    http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/10/24/can-drinking-soda-cause-osteoporosis.htm
    http://www.interactivehealth.com.au/?p=91
  • catlady
    catlady Posts: 9
    Options
    Per the "Skinny *****" girls, soda (even diet) is liquid satan! I recommend the book to everyone - its very funny and filled with a lot of useful information
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    ligytha, did you read the article befor eyou posted it? It certainly doesn't say that 1 can of diet pepsi a week is doing any harm. It says several a day will. Come on guys, if you're going to preach it, at least READ it first.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    soda saps the calcium out of your body. i have a calcium deficiency from having my parathyroid glands damaged during surgery. drinking even a few soda's a week can be dangerous for someone like me. nothing cures you of a soda addiction faster than the threat of a coma :laugh:

and yes, the article is about people who drink more than one soda a week, but there are other people who lurk and post on this board who aren't once a week soda drinkers.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Oh, I know that jiggle :) and of course I know that soda (even diet soda) isn't healthy. I'm only saying that all of my healthy choices during the week earn me that shiny, bubbly can on the weekend.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    kerri, you're right you should allow yourself a "cheat" or "treat" day, otherwise it'll be harder for you to stick with your lifestyle change to achieve your goal. that one soda won't hurt you, because i'm sure you're drinking lots of water before and after, so it'll flush out of your system.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda, I can't stand the after taste. But when it come to "THE REAL THING" I have a hard time not having my "one" coke for the day. I do try to limit it to one, but somedays just calls for more.